OneSpot vs. Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II vs. Dunlop DC Power Brick vs. ..........

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by VictorB, May 6, 2010.

1. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

What's the best thing to power your pedal board with? I've heard the OneSpot could be noisy, the PP II is pretty expensive, but is probably high quality. I know nothing of the DC Brick...

What's the general consensus?

Lowdown likes this.
  2. Goostah

Goostah Senior Member

PP2 is your hands down worry free best solution of the 3 you mentioned (assuming you are satisfied it has enough outputs and voltages to match your pedal requirements). Any noise generated will most likely be due to your combination of pedals and this is where the isolated outputs of the PP2 will be worth their weight in gold.

Having said that the onespot will work just as well as a PPII if your pedals don't adversely react with each other to create noise. It really is something you have to experiment with based on your rig while also being mindfull of the max millamps you can put through the onespot when you daisy chain your pedals.

Other benefits to the PPII over the onespot - variable input voltages, voltage sag option, safety cut to avoid frying your pedals. Voltage sag isn't a biggy for me. If you're handy with a soldering iron you can build one for a few bucks and use it on any power supply. I ended up realising I didn't really feel the need for a voltage sag (muff pedal).

The DC brick?? I have no experience with this but I understand it is just a glorified onespot. Non isolated outputs put into a nice box. It won't doing anything to help you keep noise down.

One other power supply I would through into the mix is the BBE Supacharger:

[​IMG]

The BBE is a copy of the PPII, virtually the same unit but without the power sag and the extra AC output. It makes up for this by including 120V/240V power switching. The dimensions are the same as a PP2 so it fits directly onto a pedaltrain board with no hassles using the pedaltrain mounts. I picked up one of these for U$85 and it has worked great. From memory I think there may be some subtle difference with the outputs (voltages and output types) so best to check this and see what you need.

If you're on a budget, my suggestion would go with the onespot from a retail store that has a good return policy. If that doesn't work out with your rig, return it in good faith and get a BBE supa-charger for half the price of the PP2.

3. VictorB

Thanks Goostah! I've never heard of the BBE SupaCharger, I looked it up on Musician's Friend, it doesn't seem to come with the battery clip converter cable, like the others do. The reviews were mixed as well, but who knows...

It seems that the PP2 is probably the best bet, even if it is $170.

4. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Hey ledzep, if you can check into the new CAE power system it can be found on proguitarshop.com It is very impressive a bit costly but very nice and has a lot of options. Good luck

5. VictorB

Wow, it is expensive... It may be overkill for me though, I only have about 5 pedals I need to power.

6. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

The one spot is a cheap solution for now. If you play out often you'd better upgrade to the voodoo labs psu.

7. SlapChop

SlapChop Senior Member

I use the Guitar Fetish daisy chain (One Spot knock-off) with great results. The thing was under $20 with shipping... I power 5 pedals with it and run a couple EH pedals and my wah that don't have the same plug size as a boss and I'm totally happy with it. No noise or other issues. I was pleasantly surprised.

Works for an amatuer like me.

8. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

PP2 is the best.

Gigrig is the most versatile (5 amps!) but gets very expensive if you want to isolate.

9. VictorB

I do gig often, it looks like I'll be going with the PP2 and NYC Pedalboards The Six Shot.

10. switchback

switchback Senior Member

I have the NYC gigman with a top tier and I love it, oh and also the CAE is actually going to end up around $195.00 proguitar is at retail other sites have it about $195.00, who knows you may want to expand ! :)

11. ehamady6

ehamady6 Senior Member

Voodoo Labs PP2

12. Ayy Itss Daveee

Ayy Itss Daveee Senior Member

I just bought the Dunlop DC Brick. I also have only 5 or 6 pedals at the moment too, and it works just fine for me. No noise or anything, and it also serves as a power conditioner and regulates the outputs.

13. Goostah

Goostah Senior Member

Yeah I guess at that price, $150 for the BBE vs $170, I'd look at the industry standard PP2 also. At least you'd be guaranteed of good company backup from the guys at pedal power should something go wrong.

Anyway, good luck with it man :cheers:

14. VictorB

Thanks man.

15. gordonm

gordonm Senior Member

gigrig generator is one of the best.

16. NoStatic

NoStatic Banned

The problem I find with all, or most of these systems is that they require mains power to go to a big box on/under the pedal board. Im only aware of one system that puts the power supply and mains power connection away from the board.

I would try an AMR or One Spot- they are cheap, and ive found pretty good. Unless you decide you really need something else.

17. tele52

tele52 Senior Member

Buy the Voodoo Labs and be done with it. Very high quality. You won't have to worry about it failing. I know that's the only unit Fulltone recommends it for use with their pedals, other than their own of course.

18. badhabit

badhabit Senior Member

+1 - Do yourself a favor and get the PP2- if you don't, like me. you'll end replacing whatever you bought instead. Bite the bullet, buy the best-you won't be sorry. I have two of them for my board. Anything else is noisy.

19. ReadingOwls

ReadingOwls Senior Member

I have the Dunlop DC Brick. It's built like a brick, and it comes with all of the wires. Quite cheap for what it is.

20. Deftone

Deftone Senior Member

Based on this link:

.: adapters/power supplies :.

and what I read here on MLP, I went with the Voodo Labs PP2+ myself. It's been working great, no issues. I like it.