One Paul to Rule Them All - NGD - 2015 TH BB '57 [Pic Heavy]

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by GibsonKramer, Apr 24, 2017.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Or... King Kong of Pauls

I had no intention of looking for one of these, much less buying one. The only reissue type guitar I was eyeballing, was a R8 if one ever popped up close by. I had passed on one, about 2 years ago, and have been kicking myself in the ass, since. I really liked that guitar... just waited a day too long. I could have had it, first day... I waited a second. Went to go buy it, and it was already gone.

I walked into GC a couple weeks ago, to talk to a buddy. Only guitar really on my radar and I wasn't even actively searching, was a white Custom, to go with my ebony Custom.

My friend sees me, and tells me to follow him. Takes me back to the rear warehouse, and grabs a case. I knew I was in trouble, just from the case. He starts telling me the story, before he opens it...

[​IMG]

This lady had arranged a transfer, for this guitar. She was going to trade in her R8, and some cash for it. However, she wasn't returning calls now. They weren't really obligated to hold it (and were kind of stuck with it now), but he didn't want to screw over a potential high end customer. He wanted to know, if she passed... would I be interested. Or... would I like dibs on the R8?

Then he opened the case. @#$% me. Seriously? Like I said... not on my radar, and about the last guitar, I would have expected him to show me. But, if you lined up all my potential and desired LP. I'd probably grab this one. Since I was 13, this has been THE guitar, in my eyes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple weeks passed, and the same day I was going to call him, he texts and says "Hey... I'm going to try and call this woman again. If she passes, do you want it?" Couple hours later, he texts and says... its mine, if I want it. She still wasn't returning calls. That was Saturday. I let him know I'd be in that night, or today. Dropped off my daughter, after church... made my way over.

It was priced below what market is asking right now. Virtually unblemished (slight worming on back, by switch cover). Other than that... really clean. Though, we had 2 different numbers in mind. I wanted $200 off it, because well... I just wanted $200 off the price. I got told, no deal... they had already dropped it $200 for her. Though, he did me a solid and dropped $100, at checkout.

By now, I'm sure everyone in this subforum, knows everything there is about this guitar. So I won't further bore, with the details. I don't have a weight yet, because I've played it... then spent the next few hours taking care of the house. Wiped out now, with a TENS unit, hooked up to my lower back.

I hope the honeymoon doesn't end. I did an A/B with my '01 ebony Custom and while still a bit numb from sticker shock... I'd still buy it again. Its the most wicked (good) sounding LP, I've heard, and played. I haven't had a chance to plug it into the Jubilee yet, and probably won't, until my guitar room is done. But, playing through the JVM... its just on another level. Amazing, deep, ballsy, bone rattling tone.

Pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see why I had to clean the house. Drywall dust footprints, from my guitar room. Hopefully, that room will be done, this week.

[​IMG]

And with my '01 Custom

[​IMG]

2. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

Beauty! I love Black Beauties.

Very jealous of those knobs. I recently picked up a CC#22 and found out it didn't get the TH plastics just build and finish.

Enjoy it! I doubt you will regret the price tag.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  3. Top Gun

Top Gun Senior Member

Very nice!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  4. GibsonKramer

Yeah, I'll get over it after a while. Friend was shocked, I didn't bring my '01 Custom in. He thought I'd trade, for something like that. I laughed. I said, "I waited 32 years for that first ebony Custom. No way in Hell, am I trading it in." I don't have to trade anything, and I like what I have. Might part with something, down the road... but, I'm not planning on ditching any Customs. No need to, and they're my favorites.

I feel you on the knobs. :naughty: I like 'em too.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  5. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

I put Montreux's on my B4 and I'm pretty happy with them so I'll get a set for the CC#22.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  6. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

I love these allmahogany Customs with their deep, but clear and punchy tone. Congrats and enjoy!
    ☺️

KBMelb and GibsonKramer like this.
  7. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Love it :thumb:

Congrats and HNGD :applause:

GibsonKramer likes this.
  8. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

That's perfect!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

HNGD ,Looks Great:thumbs: ... Always like /wanted 1 myself .... Maybe 1 day :run:

GibsonKramer likes this.
  10. Slater529

Slater529 Premium Member

Congrats! I sense your excitement... :thumb:

GibsonKramer likes this.
  11. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Always super classy!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  12. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

Too cool!! Congrats

GibsonKramer likes this.
  13. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Just beautiful,brother!!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  14. DanD

DanD Senior Member

Congrats! I know exactly how you feel. I didn't think there was a guitar out there that could top my DCHP R9s (they are so good I bought two) then I got 7 5031 and was blown away by the Custom.

I'd played many Customs over the years and had always wanted to add one to the herd but was always a little less than impressed with weight and neck shape of those I tried. They were all either way too heavy, pencil necked or monster necked. I found nothing in my Goldilocks zone as far as neck shape or weight.

Mine weighs in at 8 pounds 4 ounces with the plastic switch cover and the neck is .89 at the first with a C/D shape and minimal shoulders.

Really like to read a back to back shootout between the two you have.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  15. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

COOL story. I'm so very happy for you.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  16. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

That yellowed binding looks amazing. Congrats, she's a beauty.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  17. modavis99

modavis99 Premium Member

That is awesome. I tried a TH Black Beauty at HOG (real ebony!). I would have purchased it but the neck was too big for me. I think the TH guitars, the ones I've played, have been special.

GibsonKramer likes this.
  18. GibsonKramer

I thought the neck was going to be a problem. Its a handful. But, I find it very comfortable. My hand doesn't get as tired, as fast. It works well with the frets, and that ebony fretboard.

It has more character, that any LP I own. My CS '68 RI probably comes closest, to that vibe. It truly feels like a one-of-a-kind instrument. I'm floored, this is a 2015 model. A year I've always reviled from Gibson. I guess the guys in the Custom Shop, doing the Historic, were awake and paying attention.

The carved mahogany body, gives it a tone that is so fat, full of depth, matched with those custom wound buckers. Its real smooth, as well... but you dig into it... and it'll respond. Its all Les Paul. It does not sound like anything else, other than a Les Paul. No push pull, db boost, etc. Just a big fat sounding Les Paul.

I grow more attached to it, every time I play it.

I was watching Aerosmith with my son last evening. Those guys go through an impressive array of guitars. My son, had the idea that these guys don't play their really special guitars on stage. I thought of that '57. I knew, if I were a gigging musician and it was a place my guitar was safe and I knew it was secure... Oh yeah... I'd be playing it. I'm not one to leave something that plays like that, in a case. It was meant to be played.

I hope I don't get into the habit of buying guitars that expensive. I feel I got it for a fair price. It was south of $5,000. Sold new for over $7500? In the condition it is, practically new. I think I did OK.

I ask myself... is it a couple thousand better, than the next nicest guitar I have? And I believe if you can afford to spend that. Yes... it most certainly is, worth that. This is a guitar you pull out of the case, and jaws hit the floor. Especially when playing it.

modavis99 and DanD like this.
  19. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

Beautiful LP! Such an iconic guitar. As far as your last post, trying to justify what you paid, etc.. Who cares! If you could afford it, which you obviously could, that's all that matters! I bought a practically new '14 R8 for just south of 3k. I just put 1k of upgrades into it. This is the game we chose. I wish you many happy tunes with that axe!

GibsonKramer likes this.
  20. Curious George

Curious George Senior Member

Congrats brother!!!! I love love love these black LPCs!!!

GibsonKramer likes this.