One month with a Kemper and sold my Jubilee & 5150

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by tatman49, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Interesting, so you prefer to use the cab emulator as opposed to a real cab?

2. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Yes.

If you want it to.

jdto likes this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

As do many. That way, you can have many different cabs and speakers to choose from (not just one or two).

But, lets clear something up. On the Kemper, although it can use IRs, most of the CABs used were actually profiled via the kemper. Now, what is approximated is which part of the signal profiled is amp, and which is speaker/cab, as the profiling takes the whole signal, from amp input to speaker output.

When one profiles their own amps, that is what you are getting, the amp and your cab. So, why disable the cab portion, then run it through the same cab? What you want is a FRFR solution to accurately reproduce what was profiled.

K, that said, there are DI profiles, that profile just the amp itself, including the output section's response, just not the CAB or speaker. These are a little hard for the average guy to capture, as it takes a little more involved setup for some amps. But then, MPOSY profile sellers create both kinds in their amp package(s). These are designed specifically, to use with actual guitar CABs.

ALL of that, and really IRs as well like Axe and Helix use, are not 'cab emulators'. That is they aren't if your comparing them to what many tube amps add, an emulated out, which is nothing more than an EQ filter.

jdto and Rhust like this.
  4. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

Interesting! So really, for a live situation the best bet would be in ears with the direct out from the kemper going to the front of house it sounds like. Unless of course you like moving air, then you want the FRFRs for that?

matthew bear, jdto and Rhust like this.
  5. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

if stage volume is an issue than yes, in ear is pretty sweet.

If you like using feedback and such, than a FRFR speaker works well for that... I love that I can get feedback at my desk at conversation volumes :D

either way live, send your signal to the FOH and be heard....

6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Two of our band have moved to IEM's. I think as the frontman, I'd really hate them. Part of the act is the schtick I engage in with the audience. No hearing what's being yelled at the back of the room with your ears plugged up.