One month with a Kemper and sold my Jubilee & 5150

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by tatman49, Sep 7, 2017.

1. frankv

frankv What Are You Waiting For? Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Incomplete, Nah.. No one ever said that.. i will tell you that many many of those guitarist you mention have never heard of Kemper or AXE FX2 to the extent that we here have. Certainly they have never played one. It's just a fact that I have witnessed in seeing 3 bands a week for years. I have told stories of guys who played tubes and never heard of modelers as we have today.. Then, one day, they are playing a Kemper and say they would never switch back.

You know this Chris. Guys are set in their ways.. Never looking to change. Take the Les Paul guitar for instance. How many guys hate many things about that model yet never change. What is it? The name, like Marshall. They must have a Marshall or Les Paul? Is that it? I say that because there are many other guitars that afford the same type of sound but without some of the other drawbacks like weight, tuning issues and no upper fret access.

Again, I get people like what they like. I am not that way and always look for improvement. The tool suits me. Not the other way around. I have no loyalty to anything material like this. If I find something I like better I couldn't care less about some brand or type of device I use to have.

One day I am going to get pretty frustrated with you and I will ship you my AXE and FRFR XiTone for you to use for a week. Then we will see where you stand.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

That would send me over the edge into the abyss. very quickly.
    I simply don't need or want that many.

pnuggett and northernguitarguy like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Yeah, that's how I am. I'm like that with just about everything, I just don't like TOO many choices. I understand both sides of this discussion, and I am quick to admit the technology is incredible and useful. But it's simply not for everyone.

I've been playing guitar since 1969, (yea I'm old) I've never owned more than 5 amps at a time, most of my life I've had only 2 at a time. I currently have 2, an all tube amp and a hybrid. I have just 6 guitars, humbucking, single coil, and P90 guitars. I'm completely happy with that!

I just don't WANT 50 million choices!

But I completely understand that many guys do.

4. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

But, you also DON'T have to choose either.

5. Marshall & Moonshine

If I had a modeler, I'd get lost in the woods. It's just my personality when I have time to satiate it. You should see me come back from a buffet. It looks like I went around the world and food is falling off my plate.
    Just bring me a good burger and fries, and I'll be happier than eating a plate of spaghetti, pot stickers, brats, and whatever else is around that will (kinda) fit on the plate.

(((Break)))

I'll take a single channel amp with no reverb or tremolo and I'll learn to use it. It's a discipline, in a way, and I'm sure many have bought an old marshall and sold it because it wasn't versatile enough, but they really just didn't spend enough time with it, or were too interested in nailing too many different tones that were made with marshalls, fenders, Vox Mesa, etc....
    If that's your goal, then fine. Do your thing.
    But don't consider me a goddam Neanderthal because I don't want or need that stuff. (Not directed at you, of course....:))
    There are plenty other fine reasons to consider me a Neanderthal.

6. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

I agree with you on the whole single ended thing. I never use clean channels either.

Besides, 2204s RULE ;)

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  7. Marshall & Moonshine

You ain't wrong. :)
    But roll back your volume, and the 2204 IS a clean channel.
    No footswitch needed.
    Old ways are best.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  8. cherrysunburst00

I've always known the roll back the volume trick.

9. Marshall & Moonshine

Exactly. It's not even a "trick", really. It's just 'how it works'.
    Too many kids can't drive a stick, and too many guitar players can't use their guitar controls.
    Meh.
    Car makers will just stop making stick shifts, and amp makers can just fvckin wait out my death.
    I can't stop progress and I'm done trying.

Splattle101 and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  10. cherrysunburst00

Wise, my Friend. I had a HARD time finding a stick.

Why fight? Just enjoy what we have

11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Netflix and in the past, Blockbuster can drive me nuts. I've spent as much time looking for something to watch, as I will watching the actual film. I miss the cool video stores that didn't have a bazillion titles, but everything they stocked was good.

12. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Here's an example I'd like to relate to you guys, although on a much smaller scale it still applies.

Years and years ago I bought a Digitech RP100 pedal. It had 40 presets and 40 more that you could create your own. You had choice of like a dozen amps, cabs, effects, like 20 different distortion tones etc. I thought it was pretty cool at the time, i had all these sounds at my finger tips. I created about 12 of 15 of my own presets.

But guess what happened...I stopped using it. It wasn't that it didn't sound good, it sounded pretty good. But I was spending too much time fiddling around with all the different options. I kept trying all these different amps, effects, cabinet combinations instead of just playing. Plus I ended up using only a few of them. I don't want to spend time not playing. I was not happy! I sold it.

I'm much happier with my 2 amps and my 4 pedals. When I go in my music room I plug in and play. I'm very happy with the tones I can get with what I've got. If I had 200 or 500 choices of amps, cabs, and effects I'd be overwhelmed at first...then I would eventually find 3 or 4 choices that I like and use only them! A Kemper amp or any modeling amp would be wasted on me! I'm just not into it.

GeeJay, pnuggett, Splattle101 and 2 others like this.
  13. Marshall & Moonshine

The funny thing is that I'm thinking about getting the Zoom G3x for using on a ship.
    But just for a toy.

14. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

My 2 cents on the "too many options" situation... I have a Kemper with 400 freakin patches on it. I just play one for a week or so, then move on. I delete the shitty ones too. even if it were 5 sounds, it's still worth it.

I guess my point is you don't need to be a tweaker at all... in fact, I don't even touch the EQ knobs on the kemper... it's plug and play for me, just like my tube amps. (of which all are single channel, no loop ect...). It was nowhere near the learning curve I was afraid of, and it's been giving me more inspiration to play as well.

That said, I love all the things! tube amps are great and so are modelers...make the sounds you like to make :)

15. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I Didn't quite make the point I had intended there... For me modeling isn't more complex, it's more streamlined. I only use pedals that are sentimental to me, handmade by MLP brothers Bling and Bugg. the off the shelf pedals are not needed anymore, I just use onboard stuff primarily. using a clean amp and 3 or 4 different overdrives for different tones is more complex, dealing with hiss and all that crap. my pedalboard was a bitch to clean up, and I spent so much money on all those stomps. (I loved the process though, it's a disease :D )

Anyway, I'm back to playing vs tweaking, and it's because of the modeling, oddly enough...

16. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

That is an issue of your personality, not the tech. Most of us don't have that issue, unless we want to go 'delving'. In fact, the choices, actually inspire me to play more than I ever did with a limited set of amps.

17. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

Yep, its personality. I too get overwhelmed when given too many options. Lately I don't even use pedals, I plug my guitar into an old tube amp, get a tone I like, and play. That's usually enough for me. I'm also an old dude and find old technology quaint and desireable for the most part. I did buy a Prius recently however, my first new car without a stick shift. So, there may be hope for me adopting new guitar technology yet.

I also have 3 Swiss Army knives. Guess which one I use the most?

image.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  18. Marshall & Moonshine

I have that left one on my key ring and use it almost every day. It's still razor sharp (I sharpen it when it needs it) after probably 5yrs or more.

Cjsinla and northernguitarguy like this.
  19. jerry47

jerry47 Premium Member

Wondering does the Kemper take you to the edge of the cliff just before that electrifying feedback that make's your Soul feel more alive than you've felt before... You know when your amp come's alive and you can feel the power juicing through your veins just before you kick into a song something like this.......... Just Wondering

20. KenG

KenG Senior Member

You don't have to wonder, there are enough Pros using Modelling that have posted Youtube stuff demonstrating what they can do. Unless looking and searching for that kind of stuff will overwhelm you or give you some sort of anxiety attack.:rofl:
    Oh and if you think a tube amp will behave that way everytime, in all venues on all nights you're fooling yourself.

jdto likes this.