One month with a Kemper and sold my Jubilee & 5150

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by tatman49, Sep 7, 2017.

1. tatman49

tatman49 Junior Member

I am curious to see if anyone else has tried the Kemper. I now am down to my 65 twin & AC30 and with the profiles I have now I doubt they will be around much longer. When I use a/b pedal after I have profiled my amps and start switching between the Kemper through FRFR JBL studios and the original amps it is uncanny how much it sounds exactly like my amps, that includes the fender and vox as well. I am just blown away. The only time I could tell a slight difference and I do mean slight, was when I would roll back volume to clean up the tone on the Silver Jubilee, the Kemper would clean up but not at the same point as I roll back the volume. I think the 5150 sounds better through the Kemper and frfr then the my original 5150 III 2x12. I also enjoy the way I can change different size cabinets to the point where I don't mind not having the air move when I play through cabinets. I know this is all subjective but to my ears this Kemper is a game changer for me and since I first got my Marshall in 89 my senior year in high school I don't know that I have even played through SS amp since then.

kiko, frankv, Splattle101 and 6 others like this.
  2. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Are you playing out with it?

3. tatman49

tatman49 Junior Member

I only play at home, but I do have a separate room not attached to the house so I am able to push my amps without making bothering family late at night.

4. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

And you prefer the Kemper?

5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

lunchbox and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  6. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

The Kemper is a seriously nice piece of gear. Congrats.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay Senior Member

If you're happy, that's all that really matters. Enjoy!

A good friend recently bought a Kemper. He is well pleased with it, but he loves to mess about with stuff.

Not interested myself, I can get all I need from what I already have. Can't be arsed with tweaking this and that modelling profile etc in order to play guitar. So I'm quite happy without a Kemper right now.

lunchbox likes this.
  8. LPV

LPV Senior Member

I'm very happy I never sold my tube amps when I dipped my toes in the modeling pond with the Amplifire. Played a gig last Saturday with my jubilee and it was a glorious feeling. But glad it works for you op.

northernguitarguy and jdto like this.
  9. Pwrmac7600

Pwrmac7600 Premium Member

Getting my popcorn to see exactly how this thread turns out.....

Rocco Crocco, frankv and Dave Zee like this.
  10. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

I would say that it BETTER be that good for the price. You can almost buy two JCM800s for the price of it.
    Hey more power to you

kiko and Marshall & Moonshine like this.
  11. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Suspiciously low post count...

anyway, glad it works for you.

12. tatman49

tatman49 Junior Member

Thanks for replies, the more I've dialed in my rigs that I like the better they sound and just now diving into the rig store to see rigs that are available for download. The amount is staggering so I am going to go after tones I like than will find rigs for specific songs to play.

13. Tobin1634

Tobin1634 Senior Member

what speaker cab are you using again? JBLs you mentioned? I know on the famous Chappers and the Captain video they were playing through a marshall 1960a cab and I bet that makes difference as opposed to say, a PA speaker?

14. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I know, eh? Reactivated sock account?

15. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I've owned my AX8 for 4 months now and haven't sold a single amp or effect that I used with regularity before I got the AX8. ...And that's saying nothing about the AX8. I've used it exclusively for that 4 months.

But during that time I've been tempted to throw it out the window a couple of times (learning curve) but soon came to understand the issues and was glad I didn't toss it. ;)

The people who post, "Got my digital unit last week and have sold all of my previous gear," are much, much more impulsive than I am.

pnuggett and Splattle101 like this.
  16. alstev

alstev Senior Member

Not where I am, I just bought a new Kemper for $2,375.00 Canadian, a new JCM800 at the same store is $2,999.00.

17. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

But of course, your actually buying every marshall ever produced, every fender, Vox, Matchless, etc. etc. Not so expensive when you look at it that way.

To the OP, yes I run a Kemper (and an Axe FX), and yes, I divested myself of most of my tube amps right after getting the Kemper. The only one I have left now is a 1 in 80 in the world, amp. It's sealed away for safe keeping.

frankv likes this.
  18. Pwrmac7600

But you couldn't buy a vintage plexi, jcm800, freidman HBE, Vintage Fender tweed/blackface/silver face/bassman,mesa Mk 1-4, Rectifier single dual or otherwise, Dumble, trainwreck,Orange of any varierty, well you get the point, for what you pay for the Kemper.;)

cybermgk likes this.
  19. Pwrmac7600

Jinx you owe me a coke! LMAO

cybermgk likes this.
  20. Pwrmac7600

Me too, I have had my Axe for well over a year now , may close to two, and I still own my two favorite tube amps. Just can't part with them, even if they don't get used.

Splattle101 likes this.