One for the amp modeling non-believers (Kemper content)

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by morbidalex666, Sep 13, 2016.

1. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Chappers wrong for the first time in a blind test ha ha ha!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INJ_H5PiuTE[/ame]

2. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

I don't understand the need for the modeler folk to try to convince people to want one? I swear it's like a cult with y'all.

Don't we have a modeling section now for these threads?

3. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

This should be in the modeler forum.

4. Louie

Louie Senior Member

Buddy of mine who started playing guitar 2 years ago swears by his Kemper and loves his Marshall profiles.
    Mind you, he's never actually played through a real amp and is exclusively a bedroom player.

So one day I invited him over to have a go at my real Marshalls:

[​IMG]

To my total surprise, he didn't like the way a real Marshall sounds in person, said it's too loud. He kept turning the volume down to a whisper.
    Turns out he only plays his highly expensive guitar collection through a pair of $500 hi-fi headphones and then talks about tone...

5. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Valve amp vs Modeler. Fits in both forums.

6. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

This :confused:

Baffles me too.

Own em, enjoy em, but why the fervent trips to other's doors, asking if they have heard of the Church of Latter Day Modeling.

TYPICALLY, people that do something like that, have an inferiority complex OR have cognitive dissonance about their choice they are trying to relieve.

7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Nope

8. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

couple of flaws in their 'test'.

Biggest is running that boss DIGITAL reverb pedal in the loops. It is going to affect both the feel and the tone and actually homogenize them quite a bit. Either run no reverb, or have the Kemper model the amps with the amp's reverb.

Volume issues. Testing at different volumes, then adjusting. Also should have done each at high volume, and also low.

Not too many will dispute that the Kemper is a fine piece of kit.

9. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Thank You, X, you truly are "The Voice of Reason"--I don't see the need to wave a red flag

10. acstorfer

acstorfer Senior Member

Then why have both forums? Lots of non-modelers spend time in the modeling section. This isn't a competition. People like both, they are accommodated. People like one or the other, they are accommodated.

This is on par with someone going into the Gibson Les Paul section to sing the gospel of the Epiphone Les Paul. I'm glad there are both. I am sure both have their merits. However when I go to the Gibson Les Paul section I go to see and read about Gibson Les Pauls.

11. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

+1. The constant sales pitch is annoying. Live, play, enjoy. Don't tell me what I need. Definitely don't tell me what I want. Understand it's not for everyone. Plenty of Fractals and Kempers go on sale, and many times the main reason is 'it's too much for what I need or even want'.

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

[​IMG]

I am an equal opportunist.

:)

13. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Profiling is Wrong !!!!

14. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

It is getting to the point that the valve amp's days are numbered except for the traditionalists and collectors who want the original. I've been shopping for a tube amp and my problem is, do I want to spend this large amount of money for a single tone (Fender, Marshall, Vox), or do I want to spend the same amount for a couple or three modeling combo units that pretty much nail a plethora of tones. It is getting much harder and is going to get even harder once the high end modeling trickles down to the lower priced units.

15. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

I like and use both tube amps and modeling software, depending on what I need it for.

Why is it always "either / or"? :hmm:

16. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

It doesn't have to be. But from a manufacturing and consumer point of view, the writing is on the wall. The same way flat panels replaced CRT. Once it is better, it is hard to justify the old ways except for niche and boutique markets.

17. Stevie 202

Stevie 202 Senior Member

^^

I do agree.

18. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

Bullsh¡t, but it's a neat story.
    Tube amps aren't going anywhere in our lifetime because you can't plug into a computer and feel like a rock god.

19. Wrench66

Wrench66 Senior Member

Yea, but you can play at whisper volumes and not disturb anyone...

That seems the only real, concrete reason people prefer modelling amps over tube amps: Low volume playing.

Well, there is also the crowd who needs a hundred different amps and a thousand different effects.

I'm not trying to knock modelling amps or the people who prefer them to tube amps, but isn't rock n' roll suppose to be loud and just a little, if not a lot, disturbing?

Again, not trying to insult anyone. I mean there are some really sensitive people out there. To each their own.

What kills me though is this: Modelling amp enthusiasts have no problems telling us why they love modelling amps, but can't listen to why I don't. It doesn't bother me in the least that people love modelling amps, but it seems to really bother some people that there are other who don't. I really don't get why modelling amp enthusiast feel the need to convert others to their way of enjoying a hobby.

20. joba

joba Premium Member

Why not use both?
    [​IMG]