On a quest to buy a cheap guitar with a trem UPDATE: Kramer on order

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by efstop, Jul 21, 2017.

1. alstev

alstev Senior Member

If you're in Canada I'd suggest looking for a used Godin, you'll get a lot of guitar for $600.

Who likes this.
  2. efstop

efstop Senior Member

A used Godin in a Tele shape would be cool.

3. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

well, for all intents and purposes, the PRS trem is basically a "Strat trem" on a PRS. And any Fender trem that isn't a "Strat trem" is highly suspect. I get you don't want a Strat, but the Strat trem is the best generic, entry level trem bridge there is. Floyds and Schallers are one thing, Bigsbys are another.

If you just want a Bigsby to add to your LP https://electricmojoguitars.com/brands/bigsby/

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
  4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

if you want to really go cheap, this dealer has a good reputation. I've never bought from them myself, but another Canadian forum member said he's bought from them several times, and never had to pay brokerages fees for crossing the border. If you just want a beater to play with and maybe mod a little...

[​IMG]
    http://www.rondomusic.com/eg491mfmhvwh.html

5. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I'll see your Hadean EG-491 and raise you an SX Liquid RN 3/4 RN
    http://www.rondomusic.com/liquidrn34rpbu.html

[​IMG]

I've been to their page before. I forgot about the short scale Jazz thingy.

6. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Member

I really like that tele style guitar above.

It's got all I would want in a telecaster type guitar and it's likely you can find a pickup that will allow tele sounds if you split or coil tap it.

Maybe it has that already.

I'd add a locking nut unless it weakens the neck too much.

Most tremolos that don't have double locking usually go out of tune after a dive bomb while double locking tremolos can stay in tune with abuse such as diving it until the strings hang.

You let it back up and it's still in tune.

I took a Kramer out of the closet that's been there for years, pushed the bar down until the strings were hanging, and it came back up in tune.

If the original poster wants' the functionality to do van halen style bombs and brad gillis type abuse, he will need something that double locks.

If original poster just wants a little bit of wiggle, then any other tremolo system will be fine.

7. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Yes, we have no dive bombs :jam:Wiggle and shimmer is what I'm looking for.

8. efstop

efstop Senior Member

Thanks for all your input, folks! I have ordered the Kramer Baretta Special, in ebony. One pickup, one volume knob and a vibrato. Simple. I can live with the hockey stick headstock. I read about any issues with the trem and pickup, and the only issue I might have is the heavy rock/metal focus of the Alnico V pickup. That may be replaced with a neck position Duncan '59. I'm not looking for high output. If I do replace the pickup, the total cost is $378 CDN (302 US) plus tax.

I almost bought the used PRS SE Custom 24, but I got held up and didn't get there before store closing, giving me another day to reflect on it.

Who and Benjammin like this.
  9. howlermonkey

howlermonkey Member

Wtg...........I have the same guitar in red..........and for $3.99 I must get one of these to make it complete.

[​IMG]

Even though it only has one volume knob, you can later on fit a "pull switch" to either reverse pickup phase, add tone control, or split the pickup without drilling holes in the body.

One thing is to decide if you want the tremolo to float or have it pulled to the body like van halen did to minimize notes going sharp when you lay the palm on the bridge.

efstop likes this.
  10. mad dog

mad dog Senior Member

One that surprised me is the Eastwood Sidejack DLX. Looks like an old Mosrite. Jazzmaster type trem, which actually works better on this guitar than on any JM I've tried. Great P-90 pickups too. Not expensive. A real sleeper.

efstop likes this.