Older Hohner HS 35 - a great guitar, never sold many in the USA...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by old mark, Jul 24, 2017.

1. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I just saw an ad for a used mid 1980's 335 type guitar, MIK and sold by Hohner, an HS35...it's mostly maple laminate body and a mahogany neck with a scarf joint headstock, and GOTOH sealed tuners, a standard TOM type bridge and tailpiece...2 humbucker pickups, designed for this guitar by Kent Armstrong...not the hottest humbuckers, but mellow and tone-y...I heard a couple of demos like this -

and this...

And found one for sale on Reverb and bought it...after a go-round with UPS, I got it last week, and after playing it, I am selling my Epiphone 335 types - one is already gone.
    There are maybe 3 of these for sale online at any one time, I guess they were not imported to the US in any great numbers...but they are the closest thing I have played to a Gibson 335, and at least $1200 less money...

artis_xe, Frogfur and Pop1655 like this.
  2. endial

endial Senior Member

I remember seeing a blonde one hanging in a store eons ago. It was stunning. I've wanted one ever since. Good to know they're good guitars.

3. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

I've owned an played a Solidbody Hohner from that famous korean area (~1985) for more than 25 years

to be honest, the 110€ Indonesian Epi SG-Special has better craftmanship :thumb:

4. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

old mark likes this.
  5. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I really don't agree with that "slightly less than Epiphone quality" comment...I'm selling my last Epiphone Sheraton since I got the Hohner. I will probably keep the Epi 335 PRO, just for the coil splitters...