Old Wood Question

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by JimmyAce2006, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Mouse, I haz a thought. Should Pixiedust turn out to prefer, say, the sax, you could offload that unwanted guitar to me! I'd be very happy to help out there :)

Looks like a beauty in the making. Kudos to you.

Mouse likes this.
  2. mrfett

mrfett HJ Lover Premium Member

that's a terrible idea, the tone of that old growth wood will be completely lost on BBD's soulless rational mind. Mouse I'm a fellow romantic and will gladly enjoy the luscious tones only such rare old growth wood can produce, I can PM you my address and will gladly adore that instrument should Pixiedust take up the saxophone. :welcome:

Mouse likes this.
  3. BBD

BBD Senior Member

I was going to flip it and buy another R9 :laugh2:

4. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Haha just like my amigo said ''now than i'm older i more and more think that our rational side of life is swimming in the sea of subconscious mind''.
    i like to think like that, for me guitar building is meditative state. By being highly rational only brings mistakes and anxiety.

[​IMG]

5. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

when you flip to music and tone we will celebrate :naughty:

6. BBD

BBD Senior Member

>> By being highly rational only brings mistakes and anxiety.

The people who designed the chips in the computers we use to have these conversations were highly rational and - apparently - not prone to mistakes :)

>>when you flip to music and tone we will celebrate :naughty:

Hold it until after I stop beating my wife :laugh2:

7. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Cuban mahogany is wonderful (think antique high-end furniture), but pretty much Unobtanium. I have a piece - a gunstock blank - that someday I might try to resaw and use for the wings of a neck-thru.

But it's rare. It was pretty much logged out long before Cuba's too-late export ban. My dad was very fortunate, in the early 50s, to run into a Florida boatbuilder who was retiring and unloading his prewar stash.

8. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Test: aniline + nitro = piss color

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Pinetreebob

Pinetreebob Junior Member

I haven't read every post on this thread so I apologize if my observations have already been discussed.
    When it comes to "old wood" for musical instruments, the best wood is not only old but slow growth. The finest musical instruments in history such a Stradivarius violins were made from wood that has tight growth rings. These instruments were made from trees that grew during the "little ice age" which lasted from 1300s to mid 1800s. What happened during that time span is due to the cold trees grew very slow and thus the growth rings were very small.
    According to the "experts" this lead to better tone wood and those legendary violins and other instruments made from those trees were superior and will never be duplicated because those trees just don't exist anymore. Of course there was still wood around into the mid 20th century from some of these old growth trees so some guitars of the time managed to be made from this superior tone wood. The best we can hope now is our guitars are made from wood with the tightest possible grain available now.

10. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

I have a 3 piece body 55 junior that supports this, haha.

11. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

I forgot to tell , very old wood and for decades now air dry. I'll see how it goes ...

[​IMG]

...against this one. oldgrowth hog. hard act to follow, burstkiller, guess it's my favourite one. Hog, bosnian maple, quartersawn brazilian fingerboard. It's hard to put her down once in hands for anyone who tries her, a real floor shaker through any amp.
    That's my fun, hope you'll enjoy the process with this olgrowth mumbo jumbo and pixiedust :D
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8R_5lh9bOE[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0Snhd0nqNs[/ame]

12. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Is this a R9 or a real '59?
    EricSteckelOfficial:
    100% original 1959. I do not play R9's.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5NCHAT_yDY[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qPlpSpV2gI[/ame]

13. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Hey Jimmy, here is brand new guitar and first power up. Oldgrowth and darn old cuban mahogany, rare as hens teeth. Hope this will answer your question. I've seen your video best of jimmy page licks, my bass player in second video plays in the style of early rockabilly or jimmy page with this guitar, just fun. that is first rehearsal/jam with oldgrowth and direct answer to how long it will take for the new guitar to sound ..etc.
    Pixiedust :) guitar i built for my newborn son.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  14. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

A little ZZ fun [​IMG] Reel to Reel tape recording, close miking with E-V 635a microphone. Amp is JTM45 kt66. Bedroom thang - ZZ top. No attenuator, no pedals. Just plug and play.
    Oldgrowth and darn old cuban mahogany.

RAG7890 likes this.
  15. BBD

BBD Senior Member

So the player, the pickups, the amp, the cab, the mic and the primitive reel-to-reel tape recorder are individually and collectively tonally neutral.

Yeah right.

Mouse, you are still demonstrating that you don't understand how to demonstrate your argument.

Mouse likes this.
  16. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Glad you are back with your smart conclusions, i thought this place was lonley after clean up and new face lifting.
    I don't know about neutrality, i mean i like certain music and sounds. Do you want me or my bass player to play jingle bells on wooden flute?

17. KBMelb

KBMelb Senior Member

18. mrfett

yes, but it must be on old growth Cuban mahogany flutes or it's invalid.

Mouse likes this.
  19. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

Hey man, i just watched your latest video over yt with lp custom.

mrfett likes this.
  20. mrfett

oh wow cool hope it was useful!

Mouse likes this.