Old Gretsch repair project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Lou G., Nov 10, 2017.

1. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Check over at the Warmoth forum... those things are a bit of a pain in the ass, can break, and if you loosen 'em too much they're toast (parts fall off inside).

Warmoth offers necks types with and without... I'll take without! A better solution, for truss rod, is the double expanding. But... those babys add weight, and some say they suck tone. I can't answer that one.

Lou G. likes this.
  2. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Junior Member

Yes, on a bolt-on neck. It requires some substantial routing, but once installed, it works like a charm. Issue with this heel is that it tapers towards the bottom, where on a bolt-on neck, the sides are parallel. I have no idea if there is enough "flesh" towards the bottom of the heel though with your neck. It's a box of 27mm (w) x 17mm (l) x 15mm (d) IIRC.

Since it's a neck with a separate fingerboard, you'll need a SAT-2.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 7:49 AM
  3. strömsborg

strömsborg Member

What about putting in carbon fibre rods? Good enough for cowboy chords.
    Like this:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 5:09 PM
    Lou G. likes this.
  4. Lou G.

Lou G. Member

I am usually a sucker for gadgets (looking at you robot guitar!) but I don’t think the side adjuster is right for this project. The carbon fiber rods might be a good compromise, but I am still leaning towards the trussrod adjustable at the headstock.

5. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

If you get a low profile rod with Allen key adjustment you can minimize truss rod access size.

Cheers Peter

lewita and Lou G. like this.
  6. lewita

lewita Junior Member

amazing project! I personally would use the existing "truss rod" channel, maybe widen it a bit, or at least square the curved end of the slot, and then install a two way truss rod. Although it would require to make an access hole in the headstock, you can use an allen head truss rod, which wouldn't need such a big hole as a gibson style truss rod. You can even make a truss rod cover following the same "bolt" design the original overlay has if you mean to keep it as close to the original as possible.

Lou G. likes this.