Oktava mics

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by Freddy G, May 4, 2017.

1. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Hi!

Anyone have any experience with these mics? People on the interwebz seem to think they are useful especially after the Dorsey or Joly mods.

Oktava MK 219.

A client just gave them to me. They don't work. I'm pretty sure it's just the FETs that are zapped so I order some replacements. I will update when I get them up and running. I think I'll do the above mentioned mods on one of them and post direct A-B samples. Cool?

P1060564.JPG

The_Nuge and Frogfur like this.
  2. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

Had a pair of them years ago (hey, maybe that's them!). They didn't suck... They weren't anything spectacular... Worth having, probably worth fixing if it's a cheap fix.

Still have a pair of -- uh... MK012's? Same thing.

3. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

The MK-319 is the updated version of the 219, the MK012 is a small capsule mic like a km184. They can be had on the cheap as mentioned, they don't suck. Did you get the 219's up and going?

[​IMG]

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

I just got the jfets that I need yesterday. Gonna work on them this afternoon.

5. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

I'll be curious as to what you think of them.

6. John Scrip

John Scrip Senior Member

Always had troubles with the 319's -- I think it's the same guts, but they put it in that tube - which resonated like crazy - Wrapped rubber bands around them to chill that out.

7. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

Yea John, I think you are correct, just an updated look, same internals. I believe it was redesigned for a better head basket response only to introduce the ringing from the body. I like to use mine for OH's every now and again. I know some that mod the 319 will coat the body innards with rubber cement to rid of the ring. I have never tried the rubber band trick, I'll have to give it a shot next time I use them.

8. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

yes it's a well known mod to silicon the sh!t out of the inside of the body to kill resonance. I will definitely do that with mine, when I tap the body there's a loud fundamental ring at around 300hz

9. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Changed the fets. One mic works but the other does not. Puttin' on my detective hat!

John Scrip likes this.
  10. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

11. Orvillian

Orvillian Senior Member

I am curious to hear your A/B comparison. This one has a bit of a spitty quality in the upper mids to my ears that I don't recall in my 319's. Mine are stock other than the removal of the resonators and the inner layer of the headbasket screen.

12. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

You sound like a radio announcer with a decent Mic. Nicely full. And no effects. Is it me or is there the slightest bit of exaggeration on anything "s"? Might also be nice on an acoustic guitar out in front of the 15th fret with a 45 degree angle towards the sound hole.

Nice score! What mods would Michael Joly add? Anything you can do?

13. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yes there is an "ess" thing ....but my voice does that with most mikes...actually my voice was rather crackly yesterday now that I listen to it.

Mods are firstly to kill the body resonance....it's bruuuuuutal! You can hear it when I'm handling the mic around when I switch the roll-off and pad.

next, mechanical mods are:
    - cut the crossbars out of the headbasket, and remove a layer of mesh
    - mount the capsule on a piece of rubber
    - remove a resonator disc from the capsule...I think this disc is supposed to boost some high freqs but it may be doing so with undesirable artifacts (could be the harsh 7k in the S)

electronic mods:
    - replace the first two resistors to 1 gigohm
    - replace some of the small caps with either polystyrene or silver mica (I'll try both)
    - there are some larger caps that Dorsey recommends swapping out with tantalums, although I'm a bit skeptical of that....I might use some nice Panasonic FC electros I have or dammit....I might try to shoehorn in some 1uf 63V solen poly props I have!
    - replace the FET with a Toshiba

there's also some noise on the web about getting rid of the pad and roll-off circuitry....which is somewhat in line even when not engaged....and I sure didn't like the sound of the pad when it was engaged!

Last edited: May 26, 2017
  14. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Of course you're all over it already! What was I thinking? (or not). LOL

Have you ever checked out diyAudio.com. I'd bet you'd take a lot away from it with your background and fearless modding adventures. Many brilliant guys there modding and building electronics across the gamut. http://www.diyaudio.com/

15. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

Yeah I've been a member there since 2010.