Oil Spill? Kevin Costner To The Rescue!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by VictorB, May 20, 2010.

1. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Gulf oil spill: Kevin Costner donates 'Ocean Therapy' invention to clean oil from sea; BP OK's tests

2. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

Might as well give it a try. Lord knows those GOP shitheads blocking the cost that oil companies are responsible for aren't coming up with any ideas other than leaving it up to all of us to suck up the costs, just like the banks.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I think Costner's a little batty, but you gotta hand it to a guy who ponies up $24 mil of his own dough to try to find a solution.

I realize that to a lot of people here Costner is a 'Hollywood elitist' and that's inherently bad :rolleyes:, but at least he's willing to put his money where his mouth is.

- D

4. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Oil water separators are good ideas and have been used in environmental remediation projects that I have worked on.

The problem is collecting the oil in the first place. A good amount of it is below the surface now.

5. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Wow. I opened this thread fully expecting to crap on Costner as another Hollywood blowhard with no grasp on reality.

My apologies to Costner. I hope it can be effective.

6. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Hmmm, GOP shitheads? I wasn't aware they controlled the White House and both houses of Congress right now.:hmm:

7. KP

KP Senior Member

I guess we both did not get that memo. :hmm: :rolleyes:

8. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

9. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

10. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

11. txbruno

txbruno Senior Member

Costner has been involved in this for years. Here is an article from 2003:

The Offshore Technology Conference at Reliant Center is an endless maze of booths with thousands of companies and subsidiaries represented.

Each booth vies for the attention of passers-by with giveaways like pens and candy.

But Booth No. 2269 offered Kevin Costner, and it was mobbed.

Women froze in their tracks.

"Oh, my God. That is Tin Cup," one said.

Costner's appearance was not some company stunt. He is the company -- the driving force behind Costner Industries Texas, whose product, the liquid-liquid centrifugal separator, separates oil from water and was designed to clean up major oil spills.

Costner, who said he has sunk almost $15 million into the 9-year-old business, was joined by three of his associates at the conference.

Costner said he invested millions he's made from movies into Costner Industries Texas, or CIT, because of his longtime dream to find a way to minimize damage from oil spills.

He obtained the license for his product, which was developed 30 years ago, from the U.S. Department of Energy in 1993.

A liquid-liquid centrifugal separator spins fluids very fast, and the centrifugal force from the spinning motion causes oil and water to separate.

CIT's product is a simple device that is efficient and easy to maintain, according to Chuck Harrison, the company's director of field management. The equipment performs separation, extraction and washing functions, and has applications to other industries, including food, pharmaceutical, mining and printing.

So far, the company has installed hundreds of its machines for companies outside the oil industry and has just begun to push into the oil market, Harrison said.

CIT has not yet had the opportunity to clean up a big oil spill, but Harrison said he is confident of the product's effectiveness.

Until recently, the company was based in Carson City, Nev., and was called Costner Industries Nevada Corp.

Over the past year or so, the company changed its name, moved its headquarters to Houston and brought in a new management team.

Costner has majority ownership of the privately held business but is not involved in its daily operations.

He founded the company with his brother, Dan Costner, who is no longer involved. He has since brought on Joe Bradford as president and chief executive officer, and venture capitalist Rod Lake as chairman of the board.

Costner and Lake have been friends since age 18 and have been partners in other investments, including a bank.

Lake has invested in two of Costner's movies, Dances With Wolves and The Bodyguard, "the two that made the most money," he noted.

An Academy-Award winning actor, Costner has a strong entrepreneurial bent.

For years, he said, he has been trying to develop a resort in South Dakota, but so far has had little luck finding investors.

Yet to show a profit, his CIT is a major financial risk, Costner said, but so was the decision to go into acting.

12. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Not a corporate apologist at all.

On another note, I do know this about the GOP: If they were running the show right now, they'd be getting their way. Look at that as good or bad. I don't know where the Dems balls are.

13. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Not directed at you.

We do have a few of them on this forum, though. Not mentioning any names, though. :laugh2:

I do get the feeling that the liability cap will be raised pretty significantly at the end of the day, though.

- D

14. CenCalPlayer

CenCalPlayer Senior Member

+++++ 1

15. CenCalPlayer

CenCalPlayer Senior Member

Agree with you on this one...It should be raised in cases like this.....the finger pointing really pissed me off.....if something is screwed up, then the company has a responsibility to get it fixed....

I was also ticked that the Feds have done about two point squat to help in this matter.....not a big government fan, but in cases like this all resources should have been made available to the companies trying to shut this well down as it affects the whole Gulf Coast and potentially the Eastern seaboard.....Congress having "hearings" isn't solving shit....lets stop the bleeding first, then the toads in DC can start running up their political opportunity stunts....

I love the GOP bashing though, while BO and his cronies are at Wall Street fund raisers collecting big bucks themselves....both parties have their hands out way too much.....

16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

Yep. BP and Halliburton should be made to pay every cent of the cleanup

I only bashed corporate apologists. Gently. :D

- D

17. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Stranger...can you explain what the raising of the liability limits would do, or not do? Do you think Imhofe and the other evil GOPers are just trying to protect BP and the other evil corporations? Please explain the deal to me....after all if Senator Menendez introduced the legislation, it MUST be good...right?

18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Senior Member

I think Imhofe doesn't have two brain cells to rub together and thinks obstructing something a Democrat has proposed is a good thing, honestly.

I want BP and Halliburton liable for every red cent of damage that this causes, and I don't want their lawyers to be able to negotiate them out of paying for the damage they caused.

As for your baiting in the rest of the post - sorry, not gonna bite. :D

Oh, and why not ask CenCalPlayer the same loaded questions? He seems to agree with me on making BP fix what they broke.

- D

19. KSG_Standard

KSG_Standard Senior Member

Senate panel plans hearing on offshore spill liability limits - Oil & Gas Journal

I realize that I've not attained the level of enlightenment that some of y'all have, and I'm certainly no expert, but it seems to me that BP has already spent well over $75000000 on this deal and will be spending even more. It also seems like there might be more to this than just being a "corporate apologist" or an evil GOPer...as usual things are more complicated than some folks make them out to be. I could be wrong, Imhofe could just be a shill for the evil multinationals...

20. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

This oil spill is Obama's 9-11.