Official Egnater Tweaker 15 Tube Swapping Thread!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by ibanezcollector, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Rustedcan

Rustedcan Junior Member

Thanks Riffraff for that explanation, very instructive. I'll see if I can get some of these tubes on ebay.
    The TAD 7025S that i put in V1 is, as they say, a recreation of the old Mullard tubes, long plate, and that makes a huge difference compared to the stock tube, I think a NOS will work much better.
    Tell you if i find something and will ask if worth it.
    Have a nice day folks. And keep on rockin'.

2. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

I agree 100% on the TAD. Of all of the CP tubes I've tried the TAD 7025 premium was the best in V1. That's what I was running in V1 of mine before I started down the vintage tube rabbit hole.

3. Rustedcan

Rustedcan Junior Member

Hello!
    On my sunday tube search, i found these NOS tubes on a website, they have plenty of old tubes.
    Tungsram ECC83 made in Hungary in the late 70's, they say its sonically comparable to top NOS Mullard and Rca 69$ each.
    Of course Brimar ECC83/CV 492 made in England in 67, but 89$ each!!
    RFT ECC83 made in east Germany during the 60's, labeled Tesla, United Electron etc...
    General Electric 5751 5 star triple mica grey plates 49$ each
    Sylvania Jan 5751 made in the mid 70's 32$ each
    RCA 5751 black plates, they say "one of the best 5751 made" 59$ each
    And asian made 12ax7/Ecc83/5751:
    BEL/Trigon ECC83 made in india with Philips/Mullard tooling and engineering in the 1970's 37$ each
    Matsushita ECC83 Made in Japan with Philips/Mullard tooling and engineering in the 1970's also called "the japanese Mullard" 42$ each
    They also have : Toshiba-Philips/amperex-NEC etc....
    I think i'll find my happiness. I'm living in Europe so in ÔéČuro the price will be lower.

4. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

Hey, got my T15 2 weeks ago and have been trying out some tubes. Actually, I like the stock Ruby 6v6's. But, I got this to be condo friendly JTM type amp. The Brit setting is really good, so I am looking for a tube that will nudge it in that direction. I've read about a lot of people saying the T15 can take a KT66 but have yet to hear about a success story running these... anyone? I have Tung Sol 5881's on the way. But would still like to try the KT66 too if indeed it won't ruin the tweaker. I have checked and I do have the more recent version with the 510ohm resistor.

5. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

So I put the KT66 idea on the back burner until more information can be gathered. But I did get some RI Tung Sol 5881's and some RI Mullard 12AX7/ECC83's These replaced the Saratov 6p3s' that were a definite improvement on stock... but was still underwhelming? Maybe my expectations were too high after reading all the rave reviews of these tubes. Definitely, nice, but definitely seemed to too 6l6 for my wants. I put the Mullard 12AX7's in the preamp first, V1 and V3 with a an old sovtek 12AX7 in V3 with the Saratov's still in the power section. This was a jump in significant jump in gain and bass was much bigger but not as tight. Very nice tone, great mids and chimey highs. I then put the 5881's in and it was huge. Again, massive bass, but less tight thank saratov's. Not as big a jump, but a definite increase in gain. I put a NOS Mullard CV2024 (12AT7) in V1. Definite decrease in gain, but maintained the bass characteristics and fuller, "chimier" highs. Really like this combo... will be sticking with this for now. not a massive change outside of the bass, but it just sounds more like what I want.

Just wanted to post findings since there was precious little info on the T15 and 5881's. Upvote from me!

Thumpalumpacus and Rustedcan like this.
  6. Rustedcan

Rustedcan Junior Member

I just order some NOS tubes:
    For V1 a Matsushita ECC83 made in Japan in the 70's (Thx RiffRaff)
    For V2 a General Electric 5 star 5751 triple mica made in the early 60's (thx again RiffRaff)
    For V3 a NEC 12ax7 made in Japan for Western Electric (a suggestion from the seller)
    For the power section a couple of 6V6GT made for Brimar G.B by reflektor in the 70's
    I would leave a report as soon as i've put these babies in the tweaker!
    Stay tuned :jam:

7. Rustedcan

Rustedcan Junior Member

So the tubes are in the tweaker since yesterday.
    It's an other world compare to the stock tubes, the sound is much much better, highs, middle and bass everything is in place, you can clearly hear every note. Before i felt like there was a veil over the sound of the amp.
    Before the NOS tubes i upgraded the tweaker with high grade actual tubes, as said above in a comment, it was already better than the stock tubes, now the difference between NOS and highgrade actual tubes is not extraordinary but you can hear it.
    You have to think that the lifetime of NOS is longer than actual tubes, so the investment is worth it.
    Better sound longer lifetime, go for NOS tubes, that's my opinion.

8. Riffraff12571

The cool thing is you can actually her a difference from brand to brand too. Sometimes the difference is HUGE. Especially in amps with very few preamp tubes. Have fun with it.

9. Riffraff12571

A little OT but..
    I picked up a couple of cabs for use with my small amps on craigslist last week.

[​IMG]

The G10D25 speakers that came in these are horrible but the cabs are all ply and really nice so out with the old and....

[​IMG]

in with the older. '75 10" CTS alnicos.

[​IMG]

1x10 cabs are not the best application for these but they are still a HUGE improvement.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 7:36 PM