Official Egnater Tweaker 15 Tube Swapping Thread!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by ibanezcollector, Dec 29, 2012.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Wake up, Egnater Tube Rollers!!

[​IMG]

:headbanger:

Unadan, Tweaker and Fuelish like this.
  2. Fuelish

Fuelish Senior Member

Yeah I've had a couple of bum tubes bought new from a mom and pop store, it happens, just like anything else - sometimes stuff is just DOA.....each time I took them back, the guy goes "Hmmmm....it should work...." and I said "YEAH, it SHOULD..." dumbarse....dunno what brand they were, Fender re-brand of some sort (all they had and it was what I needed/wanted).
    As far as the Tweaker, still fine with my stock tubes, will try something different when one of the stockers goes south

1 person likes this.
  3. GibsonKramer

I got hold of TubeDepot, they said they would exchange the EL34. I'm thinking of getting the Tungsol, as the 6V6, gets some good tone reviews. I don't think I'll try any more EL34, as I discovered these EH (branded Mesa), did exactly what I was looking for. They added the grit, I wanted to that harmonic chime I was getting. However, the grit was a bit rough, sounding almost more like a distortion, than tube overdrive.

Against the advice of our local amp guy, who says leave the preamp tubes alone, unless you're having issues, I pulled the Sovtek 12AX7WA from V1 and V3, put JJ ECC83S (which also came from TubeDepot) in there. Tried a couple mixing and matching... but the ECC83S, with the EH 6V6, turn that chime and grit into more of a creamy overdrive sound. Getting further away from that Fender sound, I really don't like.

Still need to straighten out this issue with TubeDepot, as they just said, "send them back and we'll exchange." Afraid I send them back, and they forget our arrangement, or see it differently.

4. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Member

I'm a new tweaker 15 head owner. Mine has the floor hot switch mod (only mod I can see) and winged C el34's. Right away I noticed that it does run pretty warm. It's using 81 watts with these tubes and I tried a set of those Russian 6l6 tubes, which only dropped the power to 77 watts. Today I tried 6v6 tubes and it dropped to 59 watts. 80 watts in a cabinet this small with no fan is really pushing it. It was so hot that you could burn yourself on the top vent if you were not careful. Part of that is the tube is only about 0.060" away from grill. The el34's do sound nice but I'm ordering some JJ6v6s tubes for now. The 6v6 tubes I tried had a very strange smell and one of them was very dirty and looked pretty beat up. They're just loaners so I need to order anyway. I'll probably build a pine cabinet for this head unit and maybe give it another inch in height and maybe some vents on the bottom and front too. I don't want to have to add a fan and would like to be able to run the el34's in case I don't like the 6v6's

5. Jonewah

Jonewah Junior Member

Nearly 5 years after this thread was started, I just want to say thank you to all. I swapped out the tubes on my Tweaker 15 head after reading this and the amp just sounds amazing. I used the JJ 6V6 power tubes, JJ 12ax7 in V2 and V3, but a 12au7 in V1 (pre-amp). Sounds amazing. The 12au7 reduced the gain a lot. As a low volume, bedroom player this is allowing me to get great tones at low volumes. The master volume and gain knobs have a lot more sweep that can be used at low volumes, much easier to dial in a tone. Previously, I would have the gain barely turned up with about a millimeter between too quiet and too loud. This tube configuration works nicely when using the amp with pedals to supply overdrive and distortion. I do have a 5751 on back order. I want to try it in V3 (I think it's the phase inverter). This is the sweet spot that ibanezcollector mentions in the opening of this thread.

bilbarstow and GibsonKramer like this.
  6. GibsonKramer

Still have my Egnater. Its the only amp I've had over these 2 years, not named Marshall, that's survived. I've even flipped some Marshalls... still have that Tweaker.

Its not my best sounding amp. Not my loudest. But, it is the most versatile.

I've got a matched set of EL34, but I've found I prefer it with the 6V6, as well. I like running it in both USA, or Brit settings... like both Vintage and Modern settings. Just a great amp.

Rhust likes this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

like a fool, I sold mine 2 years ago... now I wish I had it back. c'est la vie

such a great amp, and could do anything

8. scrumm21

scrumm21 Silver Supporter Premium Member

I've had my T-15 since December. Current config:
    V1 - '61 RCA 5751
    V2 - Stock tube
    V3 - JJ ECC 803S
    V4 - 70's 6P3S
    V5 - " "

I have tried in V1 - Jan GE 12ax7, EH ax7, Tungsol ax7 ( 2nd fav v1 tube), Svetlana ax7
    " " V3 - Jan Phillips 12at7wc, Sovtek LPS ( 2nd Fav for PI), Jan Phillips 12ax7WA

I did not care for JJ EL 34. JJ 6v6s were\are nice
    The VOC AC10c1 doesn't get much love these days compared to the Tweaker - I need to give it some attention ( or sell it Lol )

9. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

So jumping on this thread after ordering a Tweaker 15... but a little concerned as I've been reading up on tubes and specifically the preamp tubes. Everyone here is citing 3 preamp tubes. However, I just looked at the Egnater website and the "tube layout" diagram shows two preamp tubes. But, the spec detail lists 3 preamp tubes. So I went to the Musician's Friend website and it they list it as 2 preamp tubes. I've read through 99% of this thread and do not recall any mention of this change from 3 to 2 preamp tubes. Feeling like I might have missed the bus? Anyone have any experience or knowledge on this?

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  10. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Two preamp tubes, one phase inverter tube, and two power tubes. Don't know why Egnater's tube diagram doesn't show v3.

I swapped out the 6v6s in my T15 last week for a pair of Ruby 6L6s. I got my desired result, a little more clean headroom, and a tighter low end. The tubes fit with about 1/4" to spare between top and removable grill.

11. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

Phew, so it is actually a total of 3 preamp tubes... thought I was getting some new design and usually new designs are all about cutting some corners! thanks for the info thump...

12. speyfly

speyfly Senior Member

Welcome to the Tweaker Club laoded! They are a great little amp...

13. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

Woah.....necro Tweaker thread risen again.

I still have mine and I'm running all vintage glass in it.
    I've currently got one of these I61 Mullard ECC83's in V1.

[​IMG]

I have a GE 5 star 12AX7 in V2 and one of these Baldwin labeled Sylvania long plates in V3. They are awesome in the phase inverter in any amp.

[​IMG]

I have RCA smoked glass 6V6GT's in the power slot.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  14. dalezjc

dalezjc Junior Member

Just bought a Tweaker 15 and love this thing! Looking forward to some tube swapping.

Dale

scrumm21 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  15. Mark V Guitars

Mark V Guitars バナナフライング... MLP Vendor

I had one of these when they first came out. I happened to be visiting their business in Huntington Park here in so cal, and got to meet Bruce himself. Nice guy. We talked for a while, and he tells me, you know what? Here....take this and let me know what you think. It was a Tweaker 15 head. I was like....wait what?

Anyway, super nice guy. Amp ended up being to dark, and tough to adjust to where I liked it. I ended up taking it back to them and thanked them for the opportunity. They asked if I wanted to try anything else, but I politely said no.

But they are some seriously nice people.

Thumpalumpacus and bilbarstow like this.
  16. Riffraff12571

I never use the HOT setting. I just run mine in the CLEAN setting with the gain up high and push it with an OD pedal. It's not dark at all.

Thumpalumpacus and scrumm21 like this.
  17. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

so I've been playing this t15 stock for a week now and it's a solid amp. Getting some great tones are easy to dial in. It's kind of torture to have it do so many tones so well since it makes it hard for me to stay on one. But, I definitely prefer a marshall clean and plan to approximate a jtm 45 clean. So, I'll be ordering some KT66's or 5881's and some ecc803's. But now I'm waiting on my Weber Alnico Silver Bell so I can roll tubes with it in play. Stay on target...

18. Rustedcan

Rustedcan Junior Member

Hello i'm new on this forum. I owned a used 15w tweaker head, it's a good amp.
    I swapped the preamp tubes on mine reading this thread, so in V1 a TAD 7025S and in V3 a JJ 5751 matched, the V2 is the stock tube.
    My impression is that the amp sound sweeter in overdrive, and with the 5751 there is less gain, so you can turn the master half the way.
    I'm waiting for a pair of matched TAD 6V6GT-STR tubes, stock are JJ 6V6S, they sound pretty good, just wanna try these TAD 6V6. I'm in Europe so TAD and JJ's are the most comeon tubes you can get easily at a good price. What do you think about Sovtek ,Tungsol, EHX?
    Question for those who installed NOS tubes like Rca, mullard, G.E etc..., are they worth the money, is the sound of the amp much better than with "modern" tubes.
    Hope i read you soon guys! ;)

19. laoded!

laoded! Junior Member

I really want to try out some KT66's in my T15 but in shopping around for some I am not finding many options for current production. Anyone have a Suggestions.

Heard good things about the Shuguang's, but from what I've read they are huge doubt they will fit. And sounds like they might be tough on the Power Tranny?

Was originally going to get Tung Sol's but the information on them on TubeStore's website makes them seem like 6550's... and I don't like 6550's.

JJ's, well, I've got nothing against JJ's. But have seen comments everywhere that their KT66's are more like 6L6's. Which kind of turns me off only because I think fender when I hear 6L6's. And I like fenders, but was really trying to get closer to a JTM brit thing.

Anyone have experience with any of these tubes or point me in another direction, hopefully not $400 nos varieties...

thanks!

20. Riffraff12571

I've always run vintage tubes in mine and feel they really do make a big difference in this amp. You hear the difference in tube amps with few gain stages like this one. The more 12AX7 tubes an amp has the less of a difference they make. I've been collecting them for several years and I'm a bit of a vintage amp junky so I've gathered up quite a few.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I save a little by never buying NOS tubes (New Old Stock). That term is thrown around a lot and I see a lot of people using it that think any old tube is NOS and that isn't the case. NOS are expensive because they are new, never been used before tubes. I buy used and tested pulls and look for tubes that test as new (ANOS) or very close to it. I bought an old tube tester and calibrated it so I can check tubes myself so I can buy groups of tubes when they I find deals on them. I've had pretty good like getting great tubes cheap that way. 12AX7 tubes last nearly forever so a $25 investment (Sylvania, GE, Tung-Sol, RCA, Raytheon) to a $60 investment (Mullard, Amperex) isn't that much especially when you consider what you spend on pedals these days. Used and tested pulls are typically half the price of NOS. If you learn a little about what to look for you can spot rebrands and really save a lot on them.

V1 will affect the tone of the amp the most and V3 affects the punch. I tend to go for a dirtier sound most of the time, lately in the AC setting. For that tone my favorite V1 tubes are Amperex, Mullard and Raytheon black plates. They all have a nice warm crunch tone. Amperex and Mullards have more pronounced mids that work really well in that setting but Raytheon black plates are right up there and are usually a little more affordable especially if you spot some rebrands like these.

[​IMG]

My absolute favorite in V3 is a Sylvania long plate. I again bought a rebrand there and picked up a pair of ANOS 12AX7's for $25 by buying the green Baldwin labeled one shown in my earlier post.

Organ manufacturers were some of the biggest tube users in the '50s and '60s and got the cream of the crop. I've got a Hammond labeled Mullard I picked up for $35, got three of the Raytheons shown above for $35 and the pair of Sylvania LP's I just mentioned for $25. Rebrands fly under the radar a little. Towards the end of the tube heyday there was a lot of factory consolidation. At that point Philips owned a number of great tube factories. Most of the Philips labeled tubes found in old '70s Traynor amps are Mullards. Many companies were running fast and loose with brand names and were filling orders with tubes bought from there competitors as they shut lines down. When Philips finally shut down the Mullard Blackburn plant they moved their equipment to their Japanese factory Matsushita and sent engineers to teach Matsushita engineers how to set up and run the equipment. Matsushita got so close their tubes flash on start up just like Mullards. Though they aren't identical to vintage Mullards they are damn close and are also a great V1 tube in the Tweaker 15. I got these two for $15.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    Rustedcan likes this.