Official Egnater Tweaker 15 Tube Swapping Thread!

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by ibanezcollector, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 10rman88

10rman88 Senior Member

I would def try the v1 slot first but I would also try it in the v3 slot as well. For me at least different tubes in the v3 slot have different sounds such as couple of 12ax7s I have though the big difference is when a 12at7 is in the v3 slot.

2. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

Yes, it will make the biggest difference in V1.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Excellent, thank you guys!

4. dcxsound

dcxsound Junior Member

I've had my T15 head for a while and have been perfectly happy with the stock tube config. Been having lots of fun with the very flexible circuit switching, pedals and different cabs. I recently picked up the matching Tweaker 112 cab and became even more impressed with how tough this little amp is. It's articulate and has balls when you need em. I do want to try some different tubes out just to see what's there. I'm just wondering if any of you tube rollers have tried purposefully mismatched output tubes for interesting flavors. I have vague recollections of stories about this kind of mismatching yielding incredible, over-the-top, saturated distortion though I haven't tried it myself. Is there any inherent danger in doing so? If its not dangerous you could take it as far as completely different tube numbers like say a 6v6 and an el34... or an old coke bottle 6l6 with a 6550? Pure speculation on my part until I get my hands on some tubes to try out. Must research potential "fart headedness" of this idea first.

2 people like this.
  5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ok, so my quest to tighten up the hot channel has led to this...

I swapped to mullard EL34s, that was a nice little change. but really the change came in an EQ strategy... normally I set my knobs at noon then tweak from there... that strategy works perfectly on the clean chennel, but the hot(especially with the modern switch) gets a little wooly and fuzzy... for lack of a better term... the EL34s helped some, more because they gave me a little more mids it seemed..

but try this if you are feeling the hot channel is too thick and wooly... dime your treble, middle and bass (even with gain dimed) then roll back your bass to suit, then roll back your mids to suit.. my treble stayed dimed, though... personally... I ended up with the bass on 2:30, and mids on about 3:00 o'clock... this, to my ears made the hot, modern, brit combo usable and quite fun for heavy tones, even at bedroom volume, and even with the neck pickup and even without pedals...

this amp freaking loves pedals though.

6. Gerr

Gerr Senior Member

If someone wanted to reduce the wattage of this amp so it sounds better at low volumes, ie for bedroom use, which pre-amp tubes would one put in and how would they impact the overall sound?

7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

It sounds great at low volumes, IMO.

A12au7 would lower the gain, not wattage... Changing tubes does not lower wattage

Maybe an attenuator is what you need

1 person likes this.
  8. 10rman88

10rman88 Senior Member

I agree that it sounds pretty good at low volumes which is what I use it most at due to living in an apartment. Hell its probably the best low volume tone from any of the amps I had before it (SCXD, Ibanez TSA15) and seems to love my OCD pedal.

I'm still digging the Sylvania 6v6s I have in it now but I want to try a set of el34s or those 63ps tubes that some of you guys are using.

9. speyfly

speyfly Senior Member

What a kick-ass amp!!! Had mine for a bout a month now and it rocks at low or high volumes, and so versatile. And I've yet to decide on what tubes I want.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my other amps (SCXD, NT15, Marshall MG30) cause I won't be turning them on any time soon...

10. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Do you not like how it sounds with a low master volume? I think it sounds killer with a low master volume!

1 person likes this.
  11. speyfly

speyfly Senior Member

^ agree 100%

1 person likes this.
  12. Riffraff12571

Riffraff12571 Senior Member

It was tube changing day yesterday for a few of my amps. I pulled out my tube bin & tester early in the morning and went through a big pile of 6V6 tubes to find some good ones. I needed a fresh pair for one of my 1482's and figured why not sort out the so so tubes and try to match up some nice strong pairs. I ended up with 3 pairs of Sylvania black plates, an ANOS pair RCA gray plates (which I put in the 1482) and a RCA GTA gray plate that absolutely pinned the needle. I that one in my '78 Vibro Champ along with an ANOS '48 5Y3GT rectifier. I love RCA gray plate 6V6GTAs. They sound so good when you get them cooking. I put a set in the Tweaker when I first got it and liked them in that. I put a Sylvania black plate set in my T15 and fired it up for a test drive. I've been running 6P3S tubes in it for about 8 months now and expected to have to do some knob twisting to get it right. It had a spikey, fizzy tone I just couln't get rid of with those tubes in it. I immediately put the 6P3S set back in and returned to great tone. I've used those in other amps before and they are really nice tubes so I was a little surprised by that. Maybe they are a little too hifi for me in the Tweaker? :hmm: I guess I'm sticking with the Russian glass in my Tweaker. They sound the best to me of any power tubes I've run in that amp.

13. Sparkysaurus

Sparkysaurus Junior Member

I have a pair of Mullard EL84s and a pair of VHT EL84 adapters. There's no possibility of frying my amp just swapping those in right? I know this may be a bit of an inane question but I just wanted to make sure

14. JamesD

JamesD Senior Member

Bruce (Egnater) says it'll work, so go for it!

I just put a set of old (1996ish) Russian Svetlana EL34s in mine and it sounds awesome! It pretty much sounds like my Marshall when in British mode - it really opened it up.

15. charlie_

charlie_ Junior Member

Hello, its my first time post here im not that much of a les paul guy to be honest haha. Im happy to see that this thread exists online though and was happy to join your board.

I am writing down a list of some of the brighter tubes you have mentioned from what i gather the el34s are darker and smooth while the jj6v6s, 5751 and kt77 are brighter? I will check out what some local stores have to offer tomorrow morning. The one stock Ruby power tube doesnt light up at all and is very cold to touch. I switched the 2 power amp tubes around and the same tube is dull in both spots and im hoping thats the cause of the unwanted noise in my tweaker. Happy to try some different tubes though! I will let you all know what I get and how it sounds.

16. 10rman88

10rman88 Senior Member

I just tried 6l6s and EL34s in my tweaker and so far I am digging the EL34s more. Probably due to me being on a "Marshall" style tone kick these days:laugh2:.

17. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

For some diversity I'd like to Dumbleize my Tweaker. I know it'll never sound like a Dumble, and was never meant to, but that's the direction I'd currently like to tweak it in with the full understanding that its only the general direction, not the result. <insert all the others general disclaimers here>. :laugh2:

So... for those of you who have already tried some various combinations, do you have any recommendations for a tube combination that might get me some thick and creamy yet more Fendery clean cleans along those Dumble lines? :hmm:

18. charlie_

charlie_ Junior Member

My local music store had some jj el34 and jj 6v6s i went with the 6v6s they sound great. i had the stock ruby chinese 6v6 in it before. It definatley sounds better than before genearlly clearer. I dont notice much of a differencre tonally and still have all of my eq the same. id like to try those kt77 and the national chinese tubes that someone posted here. id like more brightness and sustain ultimatley. Im happy though my tone has never sounded better!

19. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Just got a matching pair of JJ EL34. Took the top cover off, popped the old ones out. First thing I noticed... (I bought it used) was two different brand 6V6. A stock Ruby and a GT. Not a big fan of GT, at least the last time I tried them.

While I love the Tweaker, when using my preferred OS-2, its got too much chime. While the new tubes did dirty it up some, not as much as I would like. I was going to start with the preamp tubes, but stumbled onto the JJ's at a good price, and $0 extra for the matching set, so I grabbed them.

Its made the Modern Hi Gain really have some thump/chug, whatever you want to call it. It probably sounds best with the OS-2. In most of the setting, its darkened up the tone quite a bit, everything I've been switching thru, I've had Treble dimed (which I don't ever do). It has to be in Bright, without the pedal in front. Of course, this was all on my SGJ which is a darker sounding guitar, than my other 2.

I did dial in a tone I like on the Vintage setting with Bright and Deep. For about 30 minutes of messing around, I'm happy.

Though, I definitely need to swap out the preamp tubes now. I know a lot of the chime is there.

EDIT: Saw that the tubes I ordered from Amazon on Thursday, that came today were from Tube Depot. Already had an account with them, so I ordered (3) 12AX7/ECC83s. Will be here later this week.

Then if all this fails. I'm just going to get a (2) Tung-Sol 6V6GT, Tung-Sol 12AX7, Penta Labs, 12AX7 and a Sovtek LPS

EDIT II: Plugged my LP in for a bit, OH MY! There it is! My goodness, there's some chunk in there. I'm still working on mic'ing and such, recording on a new TASCAM DR-40 I got. It records decent, with the mic I have... I just haven't discovered proper placement yet.

20. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

Dammit!

Day two, the honeymoon ended. The EL34 certainly add some of that chuggy chunk a wanted... BUT... yesterday as I'm messing around, I notice a cracking noise.

One thing I have truly loved about the Egnater when I got it, is how incredibly quiet it is for a tube amp. I was thinking, "wow they've come a long way". Tubes are inherently noisy, to some degree. But this new noise, was not right. At the time, I had my guitar unplugged, so thought it might be that. Then I heard a loud POP. Plugged in, or not, not hitting a switch, turning a pot... that ain't normal. It kept doing it to. Guitar plugged in, or not.

I removed the top cover plate, to wiggle the tubes. See if maybe they weren't seated, see how warm they were (I had heat protection) , or if there was a problem with the socket itself. A little push/wiggle, will usually rule the socket out. No noise presented by the socket.

So I'm thinking my preamp tubes now... but I didn't touch them. Still had the cages on them. It can still happen, but rare. I unplugged and let it sit to the side. Note: don't ever run your tube amp, for more than troubleshooting, if you get popping... It can be very serious problems. I figured I had already ordered some 12AX7/ECC83S... hopefully that would fix it.

It kept bugging me all day, so I pulled out the EL34s, plugged my 1 Ruby and 1 GT 6V6 back in the sockets... almost whisper quiet again.

I observed the matched pair JJ EL34 for a while and didn't notice any hot spots, tube glows sufficiently bright, not too bright/dim. Just a nasty, cracking/popping noise.

From my troubleshooting days, that still tells me, the EL34 are the problem. Anyone else run into this, new tubes, certain brand, type? I ordered these from TubeDepot, they came well packaged, brand new, etc.

EDIT: I guess the Egnater is no longer in style. LOL!

Well, I picked up a pair of Mesa 6V6 (EH 6V6GTA). Mixed reviews on the Internet... don't much care... will make my own call. So far, I like them. They certainly don't have the same problem the EL34 had. Will have to contact Tube Depot for replacement. Maybe they'll be willing to do a different 6V6?