Official 2014 bridport meet thread.

Discussion in 'MLP Meets' started by Phil47uk, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

How time flies.
    It only seems we held the 2013 meet a couple of months ago..

OK it's only January but in no time it will be March and April, so what better time to stick up thread for the 2014 meet..

2014 should be a good year, with Nims offering to record the event for all to listen to and hopefully we'll get some good vids too.

As per normal, could anyone who's hoping to attend please post here so we can get a rough head count.

The dates this year are Friday 16th of May and Saturday 17th of May, so please note those dates down.
    We have held it that weekend as the following weekend is bank holiday and hotel prices increase drastically and accommodation becomes more difficult to find.

For accommodation inquiries, could you please PM Cookie Boy who deals with accommodation and if I may say so does an absolutely brilliant job in helping these events run smoothly.

( He's also the star of the traditional BBQ's round my house on the Saturday afternoon.. A burger expert and fresh fish fryer extraordinaire ).

Our resident musicians will be the same as the 2013 meet.. Fuzzy on bass and Toby ex (Primal Scream ) on drums.
    These two guys did an absolutely fantastic job last year and put their whole heart and soul in to the venue, with everyone commenting on their professionalism.Two absolutely lovely guys.

If we can guys, could we keep this particular thread clear of general chit chat as much as possible as the longer the thread gets the more difficult it is for me to compile a list, as I have to sift and sort through relevant posts, so if possible just give us a heads up that you will be able to attend that will be great..
    If your not sure, or want to know more, please PM either myself or Cookie and we will endeavor to help as much as possible, even giving you contacts of possible lifts coming down.

It would also be very helpful if you could also attach a list of the numbers you want to perform and if you need other musos to help you out, also the keys if it's anything more than your average 12 bar, so I can give them to Fuzzy and Toby to listen too on YouTube.

Look forward to seeing you all there in May and I think this year could well be the biggest yet..

Rock on..

Phil..:dude:

P.S... Could the Mods kindly keep this up as a sticky for as long as possible please.

Mod edit:

link to the last years thread

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/mlp-meets/235862-bridport-uk-meeting-2013-a.html

12watt, Harmony, RedSkwirrell and 3 others like this.
  2. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

YAY me me me!

Have PMd Cookie, no hearie yet.

Mwah!

2 people like this.
  3. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Cookie phoned me yesterday and said PM him...
    He's not the quickest off the mark reading PM's and also haunts a few other UK forums , but once he's on the case he's the man...:dude:
    Keep me updated re getting in touch with him..
    He also said that if you were a family and not sharing with the riff raff :laugh2: it might be a good idea to ring the hotel direct for a price for a room..

Here's the number where they all seem to stay which is right on the beach.. 'The Bridport Arms'
    01308 422994

Bridport Arms..

[​IMG]

Also there is 'The West Bay hotel' Ask for the guvnor Paul and tell him I told you to give him a ring.. ( He'll then probably tell you to f*ck off) :laugh2:

He's a real Cockney with a great sense of humour.. He has some nice small rooms and does some great sea food.

West Bay hotel. Tel.. 01308 422157

[​IMG]

Failing that get back to me for some more ideas ( Guest houses etc)

Phil.:dude:

2 people like this.
  4. WholeLottaIzzy

WholeLottaIzzy Senior Member

So I come on here to talk about guitars and relax and you guys go posting about my work place! I gotta be there at three this afternoon and with all the flooding, we're gunna be dead!

If you would like, Phil, I will get a price list for you tonight when I'm in and I will post it up when I get home?

I will definitely be coming to the meet.

I would like to do some minor blues. Thrill Is Gone sorta vibe. Maybe Brown Sugar by The Stones (original key, C I think?) Mr Big (original key, E) and Fire and Water (original key, But, but original is slightly sharp or flat, can't remember) by Free and I'll be happy!

Also, I have a fifty watt Marshall Vintage Modern I will happily bring for the back line if needed. I only live a mile away from the Crown. If you need it, it's there.

3 people like this.
  5. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Good grief ...:shock:

Talk about a small world... Fantastic...:dude:

You've got your slot booked my man and it will be great to see you there..:applause:

That's very kind of you to put up the prices in here. I much appreciate that..Thank you.

My wife and I are thinking of coming down to west Bay for a coffee this afternoon with the pug if it stops bloody raining.. We don't want to get cut off coming back if it starts flooding again..
    Don't know if you are there today, but we'll probably pop in to say hello on the off chance if we come down...

If you have been there some time you probably know some of the guys who come down and stay.
    Coolie books the rooms , so the landlord will obviously know him..
    I wont post his real name in here without his consent but will send you a PM, so perhaps you could get in touch with him too as he deals with all the accommodation.

That's absolutely brilliant news.

Do keep in touch, as I'm only 11 miles or so north of you up in the hills near Broadwindsor.

Really look forward to seeing you.
    Most of us old codgers hang out in the Onehippie thread. Troll free and with some great guys in there..

Phil.:dude:

3 people like this.
  6. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

I have the cat sitter booked :)

2 people like this.
  7. WholeLottaIzzy

Hi Phil. I'm working three till half seven ish tonight. And it's usually quiet so yeah definitely pop in! I actually spoke to you a while ago on the phone regarding guitar lessons... Still yet to get those sorted. Life getting in the way!

3 people like this.
  8. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

Astral projection for me. I won't require a room of course. But it's possible I could be up to five hours late. The time thing..well......

3 people like this.
  9. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Oh yeah, I remember. our chat well Lee.:dude:

I'm not great with all these forum names people have though...:hmm:

Wife and I leaving in about five mins for a ride down there, so will try and pop in if we don't hit flooded roads..:dude:
    I hope we can bring the pug in? :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  10. Woderwick

Woderwick Senior Member

PM'd cookie again this pm :)

11. RedSkwirrell

RedSkwirrell Senior Member

I'm coming down in 'Elsie' Saturday night but won't be staying.
    Will have some friends in tow as well (have to get them back to their wives).
    Some old friends moved to Lyme Regis some years and we're taking the opportunity to meet up and catch up again.
    Will be about six to eight of us.
    Looking forward to putting a few more MLP faces to names (and vice versa) as well.
    Assuming it's still 'The Crown Inn'?

4 people like this.
  12. NimrodPiles

NimrodPiles Senior Member

Piles has just booked a room at The Bridport Arms and is looking forward to seeing all of the motley at the meet. :fingersx:

5 people like this.
  13. WholeLottaIzzy

I think I may have gotten your surname wrong when I spoke to you earlier. Your thick Austrian accent threw me a bit...

2 people like this.
  14. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Great Red.. Can you shoot me a list of numbers you'd like to play. With keys if possible.
    Thanks.
    Really looking forward to seeing you..

1 person likes this.
  15. b-squared

b-squared Banned

Not sure if I can make it or not, but I'm trying to plan a holiday in the Isles around that time, just to get over there.

I have family in Eastbourne, not far down the road a bit. I'd be staying with them the week leading up to the meet.

Will let you know when it firms up.

BB

5 people like this.
  16. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

:shock:.. Me.. Austrian?:laugh2:

That's a Norf London accent...

Now you'll never live it down WholeLottaIzzy...

You were puggified this afternoon in West Bay..:laugh2:

[​IMG]

Yeah folks , met WholeLottaIzzy down at the Bidport Arms hotel this afternoon when Sylvia and I went out for a drive. Great guy..:dude:

He can even testify that I ordered an Elderflower presse...

5 people like this.
  17. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Come on BB.. We have been waiting for years for you to come over..You can't be so close and miss it..All the lunatics will be there, plus there's an offer of a BBQ in my garden on the Saturday..Will we have to get special burgers in to impress you Yanks? Cookie, are you listening? :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  18. WholeLottaIzzy

Nah Phil, I meant Nimrod. He phoned and I spoke with him on the phone. He didn't really have an accent. He did speak briefly about his criminal past though...

And yes, he ordered an Elderflower. I was expecting double jack on the rocks. Nope. Elderflower. Nice.

4 people like this.
  19. RedSkwirrell

RedSkwirrell Senior Member

[​IMG]

@ PhilUK
    Thanks for the offer Phil, but I don't play any more.
    Last time I had anything approaching a good work out was over ten years ago.
    I have an occasional strum, but that's pretty much me these days.
    Rather irritating to have two great LP's and not give either the bash they deserve but what they hey.
    If you're very good I'll show you me injury when we meet up.
    :cool:

5 people like this.
  20. Cookie-boy

Cookie-boy Senior Member

Piles would rather drink his own bathwater than an elderflower presse'!:thumb:

7 people like this.