OCD V2? anyone yet?

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Rhust, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ok, so just when I thought I was done... I found out Fulltone announced an actual Version 2 of the OCD... not 1.2, or 1.8 or whatever but evidently different enough for Fuller to create a true v2.

if I'm dropping new knowledge on you, go here:
    https://www.fulltone.com/products/ocd-v2

but I want to know, if anyone did an A/B with a version 1.x.. preferably 1.7?

I love the OCD clones, and even had a 1.7. I didn't keep the 1.7 because I already had the EHX glove OD, which is a clone, that to my ears was plenty close enough.

but the big difference in the new version 2 is the buffer. currently I'm running 2 buffers, a Soul food early in the chain, and a boss late in the chain... with 40 feet of cable in between them for the effects loop...

for my personal preference, I've been using the OD glove for a light drive, set to unity volume with my clean channel... but I'm wondering of the V2 OCD could eliminate the glove and soul food(which I only use for the buffer)

current chain :
    Mooer yellow comp - soul food - glove OD-(20 ft) 6505MH input, clean channel - EFX send-> (20 foot) dunlop DVP4 mini volume(tuner off tuner out) - boss chorus-carbon copy-flashback-efx return(20 foot)

2. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

Mine was built 12-10-15 version 1.7. From what I understand it is suppose to be like the 1.4 version because the paper work it comes with says 1.4. Maybe I'm wrong on that. What I like about it is that it does have a "response" to my playing. These are decent overdrives. Because of the "response" factor you can find yourself playing different than you might at other times. This is applicable to both other good pedals and even on certain amps by themselves I have found. I'm learning all the time, I'm no guru at this stuff. Cheers.

3. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Senior Member

I'm curious about the new one. I'll have to try one out at GC if I spot one thanks for the input on these.

4. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

according to mike fuller 1.4-1.7 were almost exactly the same. he said there was no change in any value to components, and the sound should be the same... it's a very dynamic pedal, with a TON of output... unity for me, with low gain is about 9:00

from the demos, it seems that hasn't changed, since he said unity for the new one is around 9:00-10:00. he also switched to using class a Jfet which is beyond my understanding of electronics, but he says he did that because things like the echoplex used them to boost/sweeten the sound... MXR and others have created great Jfet drives lately too... MXR had the one that was a butler clone, but used JFETs instead of tubes... I'm looking forward to trying one out.

5. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

Please keep me posted as well. The latest version sounds very tempting...

6. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I bought mine today, I'll let you know soon. in the store it sounded great, but I want to hear it through my rig, and A/B it with the glove.

Victek likes this.
  7. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Interested as well. The OCD is definitely one of the best dirt-boxes ever placed on my board.

8. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

ok, I spent a hour or so A/B-ing the new OCD to the EHX glove... as I said before I had an older version of the OCD, and to my ears the glove was VERY close..

this is a different rig, but the results are pretty similar... I put both on my board, the OCD first and the glove next. only a compressor before them(turned off) no other pedals on, or reverb

the glove holds its own. the glove seems a bit brighter than the new OCD, or maybe a little more fizz, but in a blind test, idk if you could tell them apart... if the OCD didn't have a buffer, I wouldn't keep it. there isn't enough difference in the sound at all... I put the tone on the OCD to about 2:30 to match the glove sitting at noon... gain wise they are about the same, like I said, the glove might be a hair fizzier, but that could be that is brighter...

either pedal sounds great into a clean amp, or crunch... I still need to compare them both at 18v, but that wasn't my favorite mode before... maybe the 18v will open up the OCD more..

other people have compared to the 1.7, and think the 2.0 is a little snappier and dynamic... and it might be, but I couldn't tell much difference at all

to my ears, as flawed as they may be, the glove sounds more like my clean amp, more transparent, EQ-wise... the OCD adds more bass and strips some highs(or maybe high-mids) both sound great, just like any OCD-like pedal.

frankly, I'm shocked. I was expecting to really hear a difference... and I did, just not how I expected. imo the OCD didn't get better, it might have even gotten worse... :( is it still good? yes, but I wouldn't upgrade over the glove or OCD 1.7 ... the reason I'll probably keep it is I am using another pedal as a buffer as it is,(Soul food) and the new OCD having a buffer opens that slot... NOW, if I could figure out a different pedal that needs to go in front that has a buffer, I'd probably just keep the glove and return the OCD... that's my take. I'm sure your mileage may vary. I will try to record each and give them a basic sample so you can hear for yourself.

9. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Ok I spent another 2 hours tonight with it, this time in 18v mode(internal switch on the glove, 18v external power on the ocd)

If you aren't running the ocd at 18, you are missing out. It's still darker than the glove, but in 18, it doesn't sound like bass was boosted so much as it just sounded more full across all frequencies. Even the low pass mode sounded full.

So here's how I rank the sounds of them:
    1. 18v hi pass OCD
    2. 9v hi pass glove
    3. 18v low pass OCD,
    4. 18v hi pass glove( oddly seems thin in this mode)
    5. 9v low pass glove
    6. 9v hi pass OCD
    7. 18v low pass glove
    8. 9v low pass OCD

YMMV. and it's worth mentioning that even the "worst" sound of the 2, is still pretty damn good...

Of note: the glove is also a$50-60 pedal, and doesn't feel quite as durable
    If you can run 18v, and absorb the extra 60 bucks... or need absolute reliability, get the ocd, if you are a bedroom player, and need that $60 for something else, or can only run at 9v... the glove will leave you not wanting anything... except a buffer, maybe.

10. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Live, the ocd made me miss the glove.., it goes back tomorrow. The ocd was more bassy and just didn't mix well :(

Maybe it's just my rig, or maybe it's just me, or maybe I got a bad one, but I'm returning it tomorrow

11. Victek

Victek Senior Member

Too bad, but just as well you found out. Regarding it having too much bass this is why I prefer dirt pedals with both Hi and Low EQ.

12. tzd

tzd Senior Member

The new TC Polytune has a switchable buffer that can go right in front of your chain.

Rhust likes this.
  13. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

agree. my clean and all-bypassed sounds are just fine... but no matter what I can't get rid of the BOOMY bass from this pedal, even with the tone up... it's really disappointing...

well, as it turns out, I'm also an idiot and didn't even need the buffer... my effects loop is buffered, and I completely forgot that... I didn't use the loop for a long time, but when I put in the volume pedal for swells, the loop was the best place for it(using a little amp grit)... so I started using the loop, and ended up with the soul food/glove out front, boss chorus near the end... I never switched on the SF anymore, but left it in, thinking I needed a buffer... also, for a while I wasn't using the boss chorus, so at the time, there was no buffers in the chain, except the SF... when I added 40 more foot of cable, I figured the SF was now absolutely necessary, forgetting that my loop was buffered... then I added the boss pedal back to the board, but I figured that was a bad place for the buffer, near the end of the effect loop, so I left the SF in place...

it pays, when you change something to re-examine the "why" you had something in the first place... hell, it's possible that the OCD might sound better in true-bypass... I may try that tonight... maybe 3 buffers, essentially in a row, were F-ing it up..

also, yesterday while playing live, my amp starts diving in volume, then the TSI lights started showing red... I'm wondering if the power tubes need to be re-biased or replaced... which could also be messing with my sound... so I have some work ahead of me :)

Victek likes this.
  14. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

Mine finally came in, at first I though well not sure. But I put the switch in EB "enhanced bypass" mode and went to work. The only other OCD version I like is V3, but this one is better. The gain range is much more usable, and musical than before. Even on the lower gain settings the notes have a singing quality. I had no problem dialing out and bassy, or muddy tone like the previous versions had for me. I think what this version adds most is how well all of the controls interact with each other.

Like anything you have to take time to make it your own. I can tell when a pedal works for me, cause all I want to do is play. This version of the OCD does just that. Now if you want something very cool, put the 2B boost in front. Just a killer combo! I'm not a Fulltone fan boy, just giving my humble opinion :)

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  15. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

Like I said, this could very well be it just doesn't work with my rig... it doesn't sound bad, just not what I like... it does sound better into an already dirty amp, but I can't use that level of dirt all the time...

I've really wanted the 2B boost... but I'm just not needing a boost lately.. I don't need anything that makes my amp dirtier :)