NVGD: 1961 LP/SG (Standard)

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by bossaddict, Jun 28, 2015.

1. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I've been holding out for a week or two and have finally gotten around to taking some pics of my latest score. It cost me four really good guitars, but I'm really happy with it.

It's a '61 SG/LP in all original condition, although I've put a MojoAxe VibroStop and Dan's version of the Schaller straplock buttons on it and that's how it's shown in the pics. I threw the originals in the trash. Just kidding. I'm loving the VibroStop. In addition to making the tuning very stable (wasn't horrible actually), it gives it an extra bit of resonance and solidness.

Anyway, here are the goods. Sorry, I took lots of pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The guitar plays great, although the frets are probably in their golden years. The neck is thin as you would expect from the early version of the LP/SG, but plays great. I was a little worried that it would be too thin for me as the only neck that I've ever really hated was my '92 LP Classic, which was otherwise a great guitar. This one is right at 0.800" at the 1st fret, but doesn't feel overly thin to me. The natural play wear on the back of the neck also causes it to feel amazingly smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PAFs sound incredible!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's got the expected finish checking all over and some wear here and there, but is in good condition overall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a few with the case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. X–Ray

X–Ray Cowbell by Misadventure Premium Member

Extremely cool (I'm envious :D)

Long may you enjoy!

1 person likes this.
  3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Man,..that looks exactly like the one i had back in 67. A mirror image. I bought that guitar in the mid west for $250.00 then, with the original case. Those are sweet players. I miss that guitar.

Yours is assume. Now keep it..

1 person likes this.
  4. bossaddict

:hmm: Was it in this serial range? Long shot, but how cool would that be.

I'm gonna go hang myself now.
    ;)

5. bossaddict

Here are the rest of the outdoor pics I took...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10 people like this.
  6. Ron W

Ron W Cable Guy MLP Vendor MLP Sponsor

Nice score, David! Been digging on this model since I saw BFG playing a pinstriped LP/SG (reissue?) on Darryl's House. How's that vintage PAF tone?

2 people like this.
  7. bossaddict

The pickups sound great. I'll try to post a quick audio clip with it soon. My music room is in disarray due to renovations that started last week, but I still have the Kemper hooked up.

Here is my current situation in the guest bedroom.

[​IMG]

Actually, I picked these 9 (the amount my stand will hold) and took the picture, but then decided that I'm not an animal and put the Tele in one chair, the SG Custom in the other, and the Firebird on the bed. Roughing it. :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  8. allo

allo Senior Member

Very nice ..... Its amazing how some of these thinner gibson neck profiles feel great , its some kind of minor miracle :slash:

1 person likes this.
  9. bossaddict

Here is a quick and dirty video that I did when I came home from work to wait on the TV repair guy. It's not much to see because I pointed the camera away from the disaster that is my music room, which is under renovation. :cool:

It's just off the cuff and therefore doesn't really go anywhere or have much flow, but you'll get the idea. I'll do a proper one sometime that doesn't use the camera mic and in which you might actually get a look at the guitar being showcased. :laugh2:

This is the guitar going into a Kemper profiling amp with a Trainwreck profile and a little of the Kemper's onboard reverb.

For anyone wondering (especially since you can't see), it starts out in my favorite position - middle position (bridge dimed, neck volume on about 8 and tone on about 6-7) and fingers only. I switched to a pick and the bridge pickup at 0:40, neck (dimed) at 1:23, back to bridge at 1:44, and back to the initial setting and fingers at 2:08.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkwPg-Djy0k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkwPg-Djy0k[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  10. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

One thing bothers me about this being a '61. The neck/body joint has a "step" in it, whereas all the 61s I've seen have a rounded off heel joint with no step. I have one of these that is either a 61 or 62 that I bought new in late 61, and it has no step in the heel.

The Mojoaxe Vibrostop is the best thing that ever happened to this model guitar. On mine, it gave me a 100% tonal improvement.

11. bossaddict

+1 on the VibroStop. Truly amazing! :cheers: to Dan.

For the neck joint, I've always found the minute/incremental changes with LP/SGs and SGs throughout the '60s to be quite confusing.

12. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Boss,

I see what you mean about the neck heel joint from the link you provided. I have seen similar links showing differing heel joints for various years. Apparently there wasn't a lot of uniformity in those days (and perhaps there isn't now).

As for the Vibrostop, my guitar of this model had been a closet queen for decades (I bought it new BTW) because it was not difficult or expensive to find guitars with better tone. I just kept it in hopes that the value of it would someday go back up to pre-recession levels. Since the installation of the Vibrostop, my guitar has become a real player!:)

2 people like this.
  13. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

That heel is absolutely correct for a very early 61. It is the same as the late 1960 heel.

6 people like this.
  14. Wraptail

Wraptail Senior Member

A Beauty, Congrats!

1 person likes this.
  15. strat1701

strat1701 El Diablo Cazador De Hombres Premium Member

Nice score. She's in excellent condition, enjoy!!

1 person likes this.
  16. Stoj

Stoj Senior Member

That's an absolute beauty - Nice Score :cheers:

1 person likes this.
  17. geddy402

geddy402 Senior Member

Looks really nice! Congrats! Been jonesin' for one of these for a while. You mind me asking where you got it?

1 person likes this.
  18. bossaddict

Thanks! I got it from a small dealer in New England called Vintage Vault Fine Guitars.

19. geddy402

geddy402 Senior Member

Cool, thanks! I've seen them in ebay before, they have some nice stuff. Congrats again!

1 person likes this.
  20. Sct13

Sct13 Gold Supporter Premium Member

Nice....

That neck is a bit small for me, but what a find! Its a gem thats for sure :thumb:

1 person likes this.