NVGD!!!! 1960 Les Paul SG Standard (issues restoration project)

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Kevin James, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

So excited right now! I think I just got another INSANE deal on a super rare vintage SG player. Here's the story:

So I went to Guitar Showcase yesterday after work just to look around and while I was there I found out there was a guitar show this weekend at the Marin Civic Center in San Rafael CA, (just north of San Francisco). I decided to proposition my girlfriend with the idea of "being spontaniouse and going on a last minute romantic weekend get away to beautiful Marin". Evil of me I know but hey.... whatever LOL. She has been bugging me to go on a trip lately so she bit. We made last minute hotel reservations and we were off. I told her about the guitar show and that I really wanted to go and she was cool about it so we were both happy campers. She got her romantic weekend getaway, I got to hit the guitar show (just to LOOK). Win win.

So we go to the show, get there about 2:00 today and walk around. There was some cool stuff but nothing amazing... not a single original burst which was disapointing. There were several cool vintage strats, tele's, Jaguars etc, a 52 Gold Top, a 54 Gold top, a few JR's and Special's (mostly double cut) and there were several SG's.

On the second walk around the place I noticed a guitar at one of the booths (Gear Trader from Huntington Beach) that definately was not there the first time around. It was what appeared to be a very early 60's SG Standard with the sideways trem and the guitar was missing missing some parts, mainly the P.A.F.s, pup rings and the ABR bridge were gone. It was lying on the floor in its original case in front of a slew of accoustics sitting on stands. There was no price tag on the guitar.

I casually asked the guy at the booth what they were asking for the guitar and he said he'd have to ask the owner but he thought about 15. There was a 62 Standard at the show going for $16,200 that was all original and I know of a couple originals in my area going for similar (1 for $15,000 and 1 for $20,000) so I knew thats an average price for an all original example but I thought this guy was seriously smoking crack asking 15 for this thing with the missing parts and who knows what other issues. But regardless I looked at the guitar just for the heck of it and the finish was in good shape and aside from the missing P.A.F.'s (which is pretty major obviously) and hardware the guitar seemed to be in great shape. No breaks at the head to kneck joint, no breaks at the input jack, but there was what appeared to be a slight crack on the trebble side of the neck body joint . This appeared very miner though I can't even be sure it wasn't just in the finish. But still... for 15... hell no, not that I could afford a guitar in that price range anyways but hey its a show and its just fun to look.

So I tell the guy I was just curiouse and thanks and we walk away. Then something started bugging me. There is no way that is a $15,000 guitar. NO F'ing WAY. But... he didn't say $15,000..... he said 15. He couldn't possibly have meant 15 HUNDRED??? No... thats just as absurd as $15,000.... theres no freakin way. This REALLY started bugging me. And I thought, you know what.... I will never see this guy again so who cares if I make myself look like an idiot by asking a dumb question.... seriously who gives a shit, right?

So I go back over and I tell him "hey man, this might be a really dumb question but you said your asking about 15 for the guitar... did you mean $15,000 or $1,500? What he said next dropped my jaw to the floor. he said "Oh no way man, this is definitley not a $15,000.00 guitar, its a project guitar due to missing parts and like I said before I'll have to ask the owner the xact price but I'm pretty sure it $1500 give or take a couple hundred. I asked him if he could find out and that I was possibly interested. As I was asking another guy saw it and was like "oh shit, thats a great price I might be interested in that". I told him yeah, me too, he's asking the owner what he let it go for and if the answer is right its already taken buddy.

So the owner comes over and says, well my lowest on this was $1,800 but I guess I could be a little flexible. Would you need to put it on layaway? And I said "well that would be great." He then goes and talks to the other guy who has now been pulled aside by someone else who tells him "if this guy doesn't take it I'll buy it outright right now". So the owner comes back and says, well this gentleman right here is waiting to se what you do and he might be interested in taking it and paying it in full. I have to give priority to an in full payment".

So I tell him ok, how about this. I want to check the control cavity to see if the pots, caps, switch and jack are original but if you will let me do that and you'll give it to me for $1,600. I'll take it and I'll pay you in full. He said yeah man heres a screw driver. Open it up and check it out. I did and everything in the cavity appears original based on what I learned from looking at my 67 special and 64 JR cavity. I told him I'LL TAKE IT. He turned to the other guy and said "Sorry man, its sold".

I took it staright over to The Guitar Showcase booth and Gary, the owner of Showcase who I have known for years said hey what you got there? I showed him and told him what I payed and his jaw dropped. He took a look at it and said what you have here is very rare. Its not a 61, 62 or 63... its 60. YOu have an 6 digit ink stamped serial number starting in 0 and that would be correct as 60 was a high production year so by late 60 they had to move into 6 digits. An SG body style also indactes it would have been very late in 60 which is correct. And lastly, the neck joint is also the first style neck joint, smooth with no step. Then he does something I hadn't even had a chance to do... he opens the compartment in the case and BAM! There is the ABR1! Although I am not 100% sure this is the original ABR. It is very old, however it is not wireless and I'm not sure what year they put the wire on.

So by some crazy luck for $1,600.00 I am now the proud new owner of a 1960 Les Paul SG Standard which I will do my best to restore to be as original as possible (and as original as I can afford... P.A.F.'s are expensive LOL)

Pictures to follow :slash:

2. Kevin James

And here she is :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the ABR1 which again, appears very old, however I am not 100% sure it’s the original because it has a wire and I’m not sure what year that started.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the two biggest issues with the guitar. The first is a minor crack at the neck body joint that I can't be 100% certain but it appears it may even be just the finish.

[​IMG]

And it appears to have some Bigsby scars, not sure if the Sideways trem was removed and replaced with a Bigsby and then returned back tot he original sideways trem, or if the bigsby was the original and the sideways was added later.
    [​IMG]

The other issues are the plastic piece under the neck and above the neck pup route may not be original (I think it should say Les Paul) and the tuners are repro. And last it has been refreted at some point, a very nice refret job.

For now the plan is to throw some decent PAF clones and M69 on it and get it up and running. Slowly but surely over time the plan is to restore it to all original parts. That will be a while though.

3. Barker

Barker Senior Member

That's a great story, and a great score man.... :applause:!!!

Sweet looking guitar as well... :thumb:!

I would like to see it once you make it playable.

4. Kevin James

Thanks man. Yeah, I can't wait to get this thing into action. I will definitley make progress reports on this as I go.

5. Tuya Customs

Tuya Customs Senior Member

Wow bro amazing!!

6. Kevin James

Thank you :)

7. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

8. Kevin James

After doing some research it looks like I was wrong that the plastic part between the neck and neck pickup should say Les Paul, I may have been thinking of the custom. Regardless, the one on the guitar is original after all.

The ABR1 however turns out not to be original, its anywhere from a 62-64. For a player though I don't care. It'll do fine till I get an original.

9. taypeng

taypeng Senior Member

congrats! this is candidate for deal of the century lol

10. Oranjeaap

Oranjeaap Senior Member

Yeah amazing deal. Some people always get lucky

11. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

Very nice, its great when you know what to look for i only wish i did.. But i am learning too bad theres no where like that over here. You guys in the u.s are damn lucky!!!

12. Kevin James

I know right? Thats why when the first guy said "15" I was sure he meant thousand, cuz while it certainly isn't worth anything near $15,000 there is NO WAY they could be dumb enough to let it go for $1,500, NO WAY. And when he confirmed he DID mean hundred the vultures started circling FAST.

There were two guys trying to steal it out from under me by talking to the booths other rep saying they didn't need layaway and they would pay in full right now etc. And there was a pretty decent size group of people looking at all of us and watching the whole thing go down. I literally had the guitar in my hands and I wasn't letting go of it and when these two F***ers tried to steal my deal I said to myself ok F the bullshit, I can pay in full too right now if I have to and I am TAKING this guitar and I am NOT going to let this one get away and kick myself in the ass for it for years and years to come. I am amazed that the seller didn't try to up the price by pitting the 3 interested parties against each other.

One of the guys who was trying to steal my deal shot me a REALLY DIRTY look after the seller pronounced it SOLD. He was PISSED lol.

I think I have decided on a name for her and I think it is very fitting based on the situation. Her new name is "Lucky", cuz I got insanely lucky on this and she is a real keeper.

13. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell Senior Member

Would you understand if I kind of hate you? :cool:

Nice score man!

14. Kevin James

Under the sircumstances, I guess that could be pretty understandable :laugh2:

15. Alvinfan

Alvinfan Senior Member

Great story !!! The rest of us will keep on dreaming...... CONGRATS :thumb:

16. nwobhm

nwobhm Senior Member

What, you gotta name it after your old lady!

17. kidmo

kidmo Senior Member

Sweet deal, congrats! Very nice looking SG!:applause:

18. landonblevins1995

landonblevins1995 Senior Member

why cant i find things like this :wow:. congrats man, very cool

19. lpcustom69

lpcustom69 Premium Member

Congrats on the great score!

20. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

Awesome score!:applause:

But, I have to say that my uncle already got "the deal of the century" ($1,200 for a completely stock '61 SG).;) The sad part is, I helped him varify it, and 4 years later, I'm still kicking myself in the ass for not jumping on it!:rolleyes:

...Anyway, good eye Kevin, and I can't wait for the pics!:wow: