NSGD! (or, a new addition to Dave's Orphanage for broken Gibsons)

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by DaveSG, Nov 18, 2018.

1. DaveSG

DaveSG Senior Member

Apart from my regular band, I volunteer playing at the local church a few Sundays a month - its a good group of folks and we have a great time. One of the regulars, his name is Bill. Bill plays just about everything...guitar, drums, etc. Today he was on keys.

Well, a while back, we we chatting about guitars, as we usually do. I'm an SG man and I'm always slingin' one. We talked about how he used to have an original '61 long time ago. He mentioned to me how he has an SG that was busted and hasn't been played in a long while. He wasn't sure what to do with it. I told him, 'hey, bring it in one Sunday, let's have a look at it. If I can fix it, I will.'

I've been building my own SG from scratch and have been taking an interest in building and repairing guitars. Repairing (correctly) is quite a skill, so I'm always looking for practice. I've fixed several broken headstocks (hide glue) and told Bill that if I thought I could repair his guitar, I would do it for free, and in exchange I'd get some practice.

So fast forward to today - I arrived at the church and am setting up my gear (Gibson + Marshall, yeah baby!) and up walks Bill with a white SG and says "Here. It's yours. Merry Christmas!"

I didn't know what to say...except of course a very generous thank you. I'm not in the habit of refusing gifts because I believe if someone is giving you a gift, that's the best way to honor them. I told him that as soon as I can, I'd be rocking it next time I play with him. Well, I think I'll be playing again soon in December, so things need to get sorted out!

Here she is! A 1992 Gibson SG Special in white -

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Special came with everything except the tuner screws for the back. Since I'm a lefty, I'll be fipping it over to play lefty and I already have a spare Tusq nut I can use. Its a pretty clean and straight guitar and should come out really nice! Will also do a fret level + dress. I think I will throw some nickel pickup covers on the pickups and then call it a day!

The break isn't that bad - actually, it was strung up to pitch when he handed it to me, even with the crack! So out of all the headstock repairs I've done, this will be the easiest. Going with 192 gm strength hide glue, which will get good capillary action down into the crack.

Regarding headstock repairs, I'm a complete believer. This will be my 4th guitar with a headstock break. Two others I still have, a 1970 SG Standard and a 1999 SG Standard, with the '99 being acquired and repaired more recently. If you find a great guitar and it has a headstock break, don't let that stop you, if it has been repaired correctly. You can score a great deal and my repaired axes are killer guitars.

I've got the glue soaking and the water heating up right now. Gonna take care of that headstock today! Stay tuned!

2. moreles

moreles Senior Member

That does look to be a very do-able fix. I agree with your approach to gifts. I work in a position where people for whom I work often give gifts of appreciation, and it took me a long time to get over myself and accept such offerings comfortably, finally realizing that the gifting was something people often really like to do both for the recipient and for themselves. Your friend sounds like a wonderful, generous person who brought joy to himself and, particularly, to you through that really nice act. That will make it enjoyable to play, for sure.

endial and drpietrzak like this.
  3. BKS

BKS Senior Member

Great gift :thumbs:

4. bad565ss

bad565ss Senior Member

That's a pretty easy fix. Rock on!

5. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

OP, very interesting, keep us posted.

Very wise both of you for recognizing the value of accepting gifts. The same and maybe more importantly applies to offers by people to "help". Often it is best to let someone help in some way.

endial and drpietrzak like this.
  6. LocoTex

LocoTex Silver Supporter

Pretty guitar! I like the way the white is aging to a nice, mellow yellow.

7. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Silver Supporter Premium Member

Very nice! The board looks like ebony in that one photo; is it?

8. musicmaniac

musicmaniac Senior Member

Nice gift congrats!

9. Les Paul John

Les Paul John Senior Member

heyyyyy there you go. Do a fret level and recrown, throw on a new nut and slot it to spec height and that's a whole new guitar!