NPD WIZZ Ltd Vintage 50s Wire

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by d1m1, Jun 21, 2016.

1. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Just send him an Email or reach out on Facebook. Alex is a good guy and if his wire is anything like mine was, he's going to need time with it. Those spools are beastly and the wire is very fragile compared to modern stuff.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  2. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Yeah I did send him a email 3 or 4 weeks ago but haven't seen any reply. I'm not on Facebook so that venue isn't of help to me. I'll send another email in a week or two if I haven't heard from him. Thanks.

3. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

I have both sets of the Sigil Holy Grail's and a set of the second run Wizz Vintage wire. Unfortunately I suffered a severe open compound fracture of my right wrist about two weeks ago and needed surgery to repair it, now I have a plate in there. So it will be a while before I'm able to play again. :( Not being able to play the guitar is the hardest part of this whole broken wrist thing for me. I did pick up a guitar today and tried to do a little finger picking. It didn't go so well but that won't stop me from trying. Index and middle finger is numb and have limited movement and are very weak but I'll get there. :thumb: I have a tele sitting there that keeps giving me the evil eye. :rofl:

Brutus and CheopisIV like this.
  4. CheopisIV

I have a similar issue with my Teles...they're getting dusty on the wall but not as bad as the Strats!

Take care man, sounds like a terrible time with that break. I'm looking forward to a tone review as well when you're back in fighting shape! Of all the pickups I've owned from my days before winding, I've sold off most but have a Wizz set from back when Alex just got going and they're keepers. He's one of those guys who takes it to the next level and pulls it off to perfection. His aging is second to none.

Brutus and Skit like this.
  5. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Wizz pickups will sound like Wizz pickups no matter what wire they are wound with... adding old wire to the mix will reveal overtones, nuances and a chiminess that is not present in the regular wind set. These differences are subtle, but with some practice, they can be enhanced to be even more so. The same is true with Sigils... they will sound like Sigils no matter what wire they are wound with. Again, to a rather subtle degree the old wire sets are chimier, more articulate and more responsive compared to regular Sigils, and they mellow out a bit over time. Both sets are modeled after particular pickups, and while I prefer the Wizzes, the Sigils are mighty fine!!!

I have both runs of Wizz old wire and the earliest run of Sigils with old wire (I don't remember the name). You really can't go wrong with any of them and David and Alex are both really great to deal with.

Brutus, CheopisIV and Skit like this.
  6. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

That sucks. You could always take this opportunity to try playing some songs exclusively with hammer ons, Thunderstruck comes to mind.

Skit likes this.
  7. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

A good opportunity to work on legato

Skit likes this.
  8. CheopisIV

Or even try out a new instrument while you heal, just to rebuild strength. Who knows, you may be a virtuoso!
    [​IMG]

Skit, jamman and Brutus like this.
  9. Brutus

Brutus Senior Member

Polka Baby!

10. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Polka King ^^^^ Yeah baby .... If you can Dig it .... :cool2:

11. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Senior Member

These two videos have great tones. Marshall style amps with WIZZ pickups. It gives you a taste of what the pickups sound like with a little more gain also. The amps are no slouch either.

12. Skit

Are those Wiizz Vintage wire?

13. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

Some news? Comparison between Sigil and Wizz?

14. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

propably not since they were recorded in 2015, over a year before the vintage wire came out.

Skit likes this.
  15. Skit

I didn't think they were. I only asked because they were posted in this thread.

d1m1 likes this.
  16. Marco78

Marco78 Senior Member

Got it!! :cool2: