NPD - Vineham 6070's -- (finally !!)

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Jymbopalyse, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

At the end of March I started a thread -- My First SD Pickups, Which One To Get?

Well, by the end of the thread I ended up deciding to try a set of 6070 custom wound pickups by VINEHAM instead.

These are supposed to recreate the classic T-Top tones of the late 60's and 70's. I was going to match the pickups up with a new harness . . . and then life kicked in. An auto accident and a few other unexpected turns and I'm back 3 months later. Given the time delay and the change of pickups I thought a new thread with a more accurate title was in order for the follow-up.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not a Tone Chaser. I heard people taking about how much better their guitar sounds with UPGRADED pickups, and I WANTED THAT! My only first hand experience with pickups comes DIRECTLY from the Long and McQuade showroom. That's it.

To be honest, I was happy with the stock pickups on my 2012 Epi Trad-Pro. I play loud with a drummer in a barn-like loft. My first "upgrade" was to a set of Gibson Classic 57/57+ pups. Cleaned up my tonze and made it easier to dial in the sounds I play with. I mention this as it's my only reference to playing with aftermarket pickups.

-- Now !!!! The 6070's --

So you have a reference point, these pickups are going into a 2012 Epiphone Traditional Pro. It has a new harness with a Switchcraft 3-way switch, 500K CTS pots and .022 Orange Drop caps. I'll be playing through a Messa Boogie Mark V combo amp.

I have to start off by saying WOW !

Dialing in Aerosmith - AC/DC - 38 Special - Krokus - Thin Lizzy - GnR just got a whole ballpark easier to get to.

I am primarily a rhythm player but have to add lead runs ( that's what I call them ) so it doesn't get boring.

I'll try to describe the sound. I'm not very good with the tonez lingo but here it goes.

I love the heavy crunching sound, just brought to the edge of breakup . . . and then just pushed over a little bit. I'm used to the amp providing all my gain. Balancing the pups with the amp took a little of fiddling with, but with awesome results. I don't get that shrill, make the hair on your neck stand up, kind of squall I had to watch out for with the 57's when pushing them. The clarity of each individual note/string was unexpected. I like the sound I get when I'm mean to my strings. These pickups are great for the In-Your-Face rock!

Plugging into my Marshall MG50FX was also an eye opener. I never found the 2 Overdrive channels very useful. It seems to sound the same no mater the guitar plugged into it. The Clean/Crunch channel was this amps attraction. With the 57 pups I could use a number overdrive and distortion effects to get a good hard rock sound. I was happy with it. I didn't know any better. The 57's sound kinda squishy (?) now. With just the 6070 and no effects, I'm rocking the room!

I've only had about three or four days to play with these new pups, but what an immediate, noticeable difference. I'm really chompin-at-the-bit to try out and see what the Whisky Sour pickups I got sound like. But that's a different project for another day.

Special thanks to Northernguitarguy for pointing me in the direction of Vineham Pickups.

And another special thanks to Craig at Vineham. He was very kind and took some time to explain to me a little about how pickups are made and the different choices you have in their construction.

To top it all off . . . . the pickups from Vineham only cost me $ 80.00 Canehdian.

Yup!

That right!

$80.00 CDN. No U.S. exchange rate, duties or tariffs.

2. jdto

jdto Pretend Human Premium Member

Congrats, man. Craig's a good guy and his pickups kick butt. I have them in all of my guitars now.

3. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

Congrats on the new pickups. Sounds like another happy Vineham owner.

4. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Craig Vineham provides top notch service at very fair prices.

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

If they're anything like the T-tops they are modelled from, then I can understand how they would be a massive change from the 57's. The latter just seem both compressed but bright when I had them.

And I think Vineham comfortably wins the bang for buck award worldwide........and thats not solely due to the low prices.

6. Jymbopalyse

I'm totally digging these new pickups !!

They definitely shine at LOUDER volumes.
    Getting into some Scorpions right now!

7. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Right on, Jymbo! I was pushing Vineham pretty hard on you, I'm glad you got what you desired! I agree, the 6070 can do anything you could call RAWK!

8. northernguitarguy

I've said this before, but if I knew how much I'd luv the 6070, I would have paid double.

Jymbopalyse, jdto and Guitar Rod like this.
  9. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

It's not a Vineham but I have an overwound T-Top and it rocks. Really great pickup. Makes me wonder why the big dogs don't have one out... It's perfect for that late 70s and 80s rock tone.

10. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I think that any of the major (and not so major) winders
    would wind a T-Top upon request. I think I'd go with a winder that advertises such a model, though.

Classicplayer

northernguitarguy likes this.
  11. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

By "big dogs" I meant Duncan and Dimarzio. It seems like a conspicuous gap in their lineups... especially Duncan's.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  12. northernguitarguy

Indeed, I wonder if 'T-Tops' is even patented?

13. Guitar Rod

Guitar Rod Senior Member

I'm sure Larry is looking into it.

14. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

Another positive review for Vineham! Good to see. I've ordered 3 pickups from Craig, and all 3 were exactly what each guitar needed. Whiskey sour bridge for my 2016 Traditional, Granite for my 2013 Trad Pro and a Rampage for my LTD EC1000T

The 6070 is certainly on my radar, as I'm a fan of T-top pickups. Glad to hear another positive review!

15. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I want a set of 6070's. I've got a set of overwound/higher output PAF's from James at ReWind coming (talk about great customer service - James is THE MAN), and I'm really excited for those. (Higher/mid output PAF's with the tonal characteristics of ReWind pickups? Sign me up!!!)

But I really want to try a set of Craig's 6070's (and a Wolfetone Marshallhead)! Support your independent winders!!!

16. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

17. northernguitarguy

Craig, you wind a killer pup.

Jymbopalyse and jdto like this.
  18. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

19. Jymbopalyse

I really can't express enough how much I love the 6070's.

For my hard rock tonez, it's like a blanket has been lifted off my amp.
    You gotta play with that area just after the clean breaks up.

AND it seems to sound better the louder you get !!!!!!!

Bad.Seed and northernguitarguy like this.
  20. buffa d

buffa d Member

I really want to put some whisky sours in my '13 Traditional gold top.

Benjammin and northernguitarguy like this.