NPD - Tyson Tone "Precious & Grace" (ES-Les Paul content)

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by Travis19, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Travis19

Travis19 Senior Member

A few months ago I asked for advice from MLP members as to what pick-ups would best suit a small semi-hollow-body Gibson, specifically a 2015 ES-Les Paul ('59 neck VOS).

The problem I had with the original pick-ups was that they seemed much too harsh and brittle with way too much bright edginess on the upper-mids and high-end.

I had many great suggestions but I ended up going with a recommendation by @ARandall to consider Tyson Tone Labs. After exchanging a few very helpful emails with Bobby Tyson I ended up selecting the "Precious and Grace" PAF clone set.

I finally have them installed and I'm really happy with my choice.

The "Precious and Grace" set are incredibly thick and vintage sounding with outstanding clarity, and I don't say that lightly. When using different volume and tone settings on my guitar the pick-ups are much more dynamic and diverse than the originals. And most importantly, they have a more robust and smoother flavor around the lows and lower-mids. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Thick and creamy vintage tone...I love 'em!!

Thanks @ARandall (and all the other MLP members who offered suggestions)

Thanks Bobby Tyson

P1015483.JPG

P1015484.JPG

P1015366 - Copy.JPG

In addition to the above ES-Les Paul, I also currently own two R8s. My 2013 sounds great, I think it has the Custom Buckers. But my 1998 can be a little bright and thin, so I'm already considering another pair of "Precious and Grace" PAFs.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
    Wraptail, Benjammin and bulletproof like this.
  2. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

Nice choice of pickups. Bobby is a good dude and knows his stuff. I have a p90 and a set of buckers from him and couldn't be happier with them. That's a great looking ES too

Wraptail and Travis19 like this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

No problem.....

The pickups did seem like they would be spot-on from your original description of what you wanted.

4. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

it's nice to see that bobby hasn't updated his very cool packaging materials. :) that was as pleasant a surprise as his pickups were when i got them.

enjoy!

5. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

damn that's a sweet axe, hope you enjoy the new pickups :thumb:

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  6. Wraptail

Wraptail Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words Travis, glad you're digging your pickups! That's a sweet fiddle.

Gene, I'm glad you like the packaging! : ) That "shredded Easter basket" filler works great & recyclable = win

-Bobby

Travis19 likes this.
  7. afranke

afranke Senior Member

love Tyson tone.some of the best I have.