NPD: ReWind Crème Brûlée pickups on Gibson CC#2

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Gunsmoker, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Gunsmoker

Gunsmoker Junior Member

Hi everyone!!,

I would like to share with all the forum my NPD. It's a pair of ReWind Crème Brûlée pickups with CTS pots and wiring harness with old Bees caps. I think it sounds great. More cleary notes and powerful tone but with a vintage vibe. I made this video with a good friend of mine, that's a very nice player.

Thanks James for all the technical support and general tips.

What's your opinion? It will be great to have some feedbacks and discuss some final details.

Thanks for watching...

Brewdude, cooljuk, rclausen and 2 others like this.
  2. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

Awesome! You are a true throwback player...and that's an awesome thing!

Pickups sound awesome, and so does that Pink Taco! It really can do it all as an amp!

cooljuk likes this.
  3. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Man - THAT is one incredible demo of those pickups!!! It covers it all. They really are the fat, chewy, thick, creamy side of late 50's PAFs. ...and retain the clarity, detail, and clean up to a beautiful pretty sound at the roll of a knob. The playing style shows all that off, as does the fantastic rig!

Thank you so much for sharing that. Just absolutely amazing!

4. 60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI

60's Bush aka 50WPLEXI Senior Member

Killer rig, and some tasteful playing, love the white Marshall! Oh yea, the Rewinds kick ass as well :) :)

5. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I dunno. I love the thick overdriven tones, but don't hear any of the the chimey humbucker cleans that some of the relatively low-power HBs produce. I love what I hear, but miss what I don't. I realize that I'm a member of the small group that really likes those HBs -- including many old PAFs -- that are airy and open and that take a pedal, or amp gain, and guitar volume near 10 to thicken up. Just my opinion. But that's not to criticize these, which sound wonderful in another way, and appear to be beautifully touch-responsive, which is often lost by creamy, thick-sounding PUs.

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

The Creme Brûlées are fairly hot for PAFs. They are the beefier, thicker, richer, creamier side of the late 1950's A2 PAFs, and all A2 PAFs will tend to have more mids, more compression, and less treble than other magnet types, which compounds that a bit.

The Low Output PAFs, on the other hand, are the brighter, chimey, chirpy sound of the A2 PAFs. Early 60's copies. Very different in voicing. I'm not going to post my own vids here but they are available on YouTube.

It just depends on what you are after regarding your particular varieties of A2 PAFs, I suppose.

7. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Recovering Oxblood Addict V.I.P. Member

Those sound great, congrats!

cooljuk likes this.