NPD: Real McCoy Custom (RMC) 4 Picture Wah

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by NYC LP player, Jun 6, 2017.

1. NYC LP player

NYC LP player Premium Member

Just got this today after I saw it pop up at a GC in the midwest for stupid cheap. They didnt have a pic of the bottom (obvious not mint) but it is fully functional and sound un-F'in-believable. I now understand the whole vocal wah thing. Even a novice like me can coax out some Cream tones with little effort. I am also able to make my amp feedback on purpose in certain scenarios which is pretty cool. The adjustable rocker makes a huge difference compared to the full modded Keeley Vox 847a I use to have. The switching is also near effortless. This thing is so good I already made some custom cables to keep it closer to me for more frequent use.

Also, I email RMC when it was enroute with the serial as it was an early model and Geoffrey Teese himself sent me some docs to update it to the latest spec (and also offered to do the update). That said it sounds too good to touch it right now. The only thing I may add is a battery kill switch like I have on my fuzzes and the new models have as I can't be bothered to unplug it every time.

http://www.realmccoycustom.com/RMCPW.htm

Mic'd demo coming soon...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A good comparison demo

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Hidden_Income

Hidden_Income Premium Member

really cool pedal. Wah is a tough effect to bond with. Folks will fill a board with multiple ODs, delays, modulation, to fit all sorts of needs, but (because of the size I guess) we only get one shot at a Wah. Seems tough to find the one that fits what we want to hear. It took me a while to land on one, and they don't flip as easy as other pedals.... Congrats on finding one that is "the one"

NYC LP player likes this.
  3. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Love it!

I also have an early Grey Pic Wah. Bought it when they first came out. Imo the best Vox clone ever made.

4. Burst Boy

Burst Boy Senior Member

Too right. I love listening to wah but it took me a while to find one that was a keeper. What made it difficult for me is it got boring because of doing the 'ole rock in sync with picking notes or strumming. It's way more interesting if the hands are de-coupled from the foot so the effect is used for off-beats, in-between beats, rock up when the brain expects to hear a down rock or whatever. Took me a while to use it this way but it makes it more fun to use. Still, it's without a doubt my least used effect 'cause I'm lazy and it requires effort.

5. NYC LP player

[​IMG]

For scientific purpose I bought the Chase Chone Tru Talk pot. I will map the curves of both pots and do a comparison as well. Stay tuned or sub to my channel.

6. belleswell

belleswell Member

I have 2 of Geoffrey's RMC Wizard wahs which to my ears, are awesome. I bought a second one as a backup. I've tried about a dozen different ones and still have all of them, Most were replaced due to scratchy pots that could no longer be fixed with a spray can. The reason I like the Wizard wah so much is that it does not get overly shrill/crispy in the full toe down position. Most wahs have too much of the shrill/crispy nasal tone in the full toe down position that I do not care for. My runner up is
    the Vox Big Bad Wah which was a Vox/Satch collab.

J

Here is one done with the Wizard wah using the full sweep.

https://soundcloud.com/belleswell/18-or-so

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  7. NYC LP player

ok so it is late but here is some science or at least an attempt

I plotted out the points...super scientifically....using coffee stirrers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Notes:

200k vs 100k

equally as smooth though the Chase slightly less resistance to turning

chase is sealed

rmc comes with a cover

I will do some mic'd test but from the chart the RMC will have a greater range. From using the RMC I can say it never gets brittle or too bright but I am interested to hear how the Chase performs.

8. sonar

sonar Senior Member

Very cool!

Looking forward to a review.

9. NYC LP player

Ok so I tired them both and they both sounded great. I was gunning for a Cream type sound and used JTM45 in one of the more mild mod setting. My playing leaves much to be desired but if you turn up the volume I would say this is a good representation.

In the end I am sticking with the original RMC recipe. Once installed the pot seems to rotate between 48k and 160k based on my multimeter. I didn't measure the Chase but tried 4 or 5 adjustment before I landed on my favorite sweep.

Marshall & Moonshine likes this.
  10. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I've got the blue and white Picture Wah and love it!! I've had it for probably 7-8yrs, with regular use and no troubles.
    I recently picked up a BMF wah, based on some other old circuit. Super thick and very vocal. Marc Ford has been using it for a few years already, and it's his favorite.
    I haven't decided which one is going on the board and which one is going in the flyrig bag, I'll really have to try them both with my other stuff.
    I love a good wah. Wahs and Fuzz are things that have to be absolutely correct for your ears. Everything else can be fudged a little or a lot.

NYC LP player likes this.