NPD - MXR Smart Gate

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mockbel, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi all

I have been looking here and there for advice regarding noise gates... spent huge amount of time reading and watching reviews, demos, comparisons, etc...

Tried the Boss NS-2 and didn't work well for me.. was just about to get a new ISP Decimator G-String which is the most expensive pedal in market (as far as i know).. Here in Egypt there is no authorized dealer so I would buy it from a shop with NO return policy.. on my way to the shop, I got an offer for that MXR Smart Gate.. a guy got it and never used it.. box was still closed.. half price comparing to the ISP so I decided to give it a try.. if I didn't like it I will sell it with no much loss..

Got it home and tried it yesterday.. this pedal is really smart..

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...MImq3z8Ji72AIVmbrACh3XogJ_EAAYASAAEgJ8HfD_BwE

My chain is as follows:
    Guitar > Wah > Boost > Pre-amp > Chorus > Delay > JHS Little Black Amp Box > Power amp

Typically 99% of people out there suggest to put the gate after the pre-amp to tame high gain noise.. I didn't like this setup for 2 main reasons:
    1. I have to set the threshold very high which noticeably affects the tone
    2. I have to change threshold (or turn off the pedal) when I play clean

I went to the other extreme and put the gate just after the guitar... still not satisfied as the noise from wah is amplified by the amp's boost and pre-amp which is relatively loud

Landed on putting the gate after the wah pedal... that sounded best for me.. still having sum hum at very high gain and boost but sounds very natural and not bothering me as it used to be

Now for negative remarks:
    1. Hi Trigger switch and Full/Mid/Hiss selectors are really useless... for me, always the Hi Trigger is off and the selector is at Full
    2. The pedal is designed to be after dirty pedals so I believe the Threshold is a bit aggressive. I run the pedal with Threshold at Minimum.. does a great job but I wish I could lower it a bit more.. that would made the guitar sound even more natural

Overall, I like that pedal.. I am ok with the remaining high gain noise I have at least for time being..

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. scooter500

scooter500 Senior Member

Cool and congrats on eliminating the noise!

3. Liquid State

Liquid State Premium Member

I have a couple Smart Gates, tried a bunch of the others and like the MXR Smart Gate the best. Congrats!

4. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Update: This pedal is not as simple as I stated... I spent some more time with it yesterday... The mid and hiss options are not useless at all.. they let you compromise some more noise but get an outstanding natural note fade and sustain even when the gate is operating... simply the gate lets your notes pass while gating other frequencies

Hiss was too noisy for me.. mid is something in between and I liked it especially with single coils.. even whispering notes are not affected and sound is very very natural

I still have an issue I need to fix.. hopefully someone helps me.. I use a normal adapter with a 5 outputs daisy chain.. when i connect the MXR to any empty output, I here a whistle even when the pedal is not in chain.. when it is not connected to power supply, no issues...
    If I use a separate single output adapter for the MXR only, would that eliminate the issue?