NPD - Joyo Ultimate Drive

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by cynic79, Sep 8, 2011.

1. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

I was inspired by the Freekish Blues threads.:thumb:

For those not in the know, this is supposed to be a clone of the Fulltone OCD, and, allegedly, almost the same guts as the Freekish Blues Alpha Drive. I've been interested in the OCD for quite some time, and this seemed like a relatively inexpensive way to try that circuit out with my rig.

Initial impressions are favorable. I'm still learning the tonal ins and outs of my recently acquired Ampeg J-20 (which is supposedly based on a brownface Fender Deluxe), but this pedal seems to work well with it. There's a lot of thick, natural sounding distortion on tap. The pedal is a bit dark (or rather, warm). The tone knob can provide some bite, but it's not voiced to give chimey highs. The HP mode gives a nice upper mid bump, and definitely gives the pedal a more Marshall-like tone. It cleans up admirably when you turn the volume down on the guitar, but not nearly as well as my Fuzz Face or Way Huge Fat Sandwich. That said, it responds very well to changes in picking dynamics. That said, it was easy to go from a dirty tone to a clean sound at lower gain, higher volume settings. It's definitely not a boost pedal; at low gain settings it doesn't provide much boost. Adding a bit of gain adds much more output though.

So far I'm really digging the pedal. It's very easy to get gobs of rich distortion out of it, and while it's not as present or responsive as a cranked tube amp, it's a decent alternative. If this really is based on the OCD, then I can see what the fuss is about.

2. beanoburst66

beanoburst66 Senior Member

mine should be here anyday! im glad it turned it good for you. now im even more anxious!

3. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I knew that sooner or later someone would take the plunge. I'm glad you like it and thanks for the review man!

4. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Nice! HNPD.

5. tao_of_drew

tao_of_drew Senior Member

I also just got the Joyo Ultimate Drive after reading about the Alpha Drive controversy. I was very presently surprised by the tone.
    I was not too impressed by the OCD, and to my ear, the Joyo actually sounded better.
    Of course, beauty is in the ear of the beholder, YMMV, and so forth...

A string bounce likes this.
  6. Goostah

Goostah Senior Member

Another vote for the Joyo.

It's a clone of the OCD but with bigger gain. A little harder to dial in light crunch or that little extra solo boost b/c the gain knob kicks in so quickly but if you are after more immediate gain than the OCD then the Joyo works brilliantly.

Exceptional build quality and nice paint finish for the price too.

A string bounce likes this.
  7. beanoburst66

beanoburst66 Senior Member

Mine just got here a few minutes ago. plugged it in, sounds great

8. lexluthier

lexluthier V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Ditto for me, I like the Joyo a LOT better than the OCD. I prefer it at lower gain levels, more of a spongy, honky 'D' style sound.

A string bounce and tao_of_drew like this.
  9. blues24

blues24 Senior Member

LOL... I ordered one last week.

10. lexluthier

FYI, if you order a Ultimate Drive from Yoosmart, punch in this promo code on the shopping cart page when you order and you can get another 5% off: yoosmartpromotion

5% ain't much, but better than nothing, right? LOL

PS, I'm not spamming for the company.

11. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

^ Good to know! BTW, if everybody prefers the lower gain settings, you can always slap a resistor across the gain pot. It's a freekishly easy mod.

12. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

13. blues24

blues24 Senior Member

I recieved mine... Not a bad pedal.

Did notice the sweet spot at about 9-10 oclock, on the gain...

14. cynic79

cynic79 Senior Member

That's where I had been running mine. I've actually got it down around 8 o'clock with some boost, and it sounds really nice.

15. lexluthier

Did the "alpha' mod on one of mine. Took out the 'C9' 1mf electrolytic and replace with a .1 mf cap. I found one at the surplus store that was a perfect fit, not that funky bendy bullshit FB did on theirs. Also added the 330k resistor to the gain pot, 1.5k to the tone, and 470k to the volume. Fun, easy and cheap mod, I think the .1 cap tightened the lows a tad which is nice, still has big lows after the mod. All the resistor mods to the pots do is limit the range, basically limiting the pedal to the sweet spot. I may futz with the tone resistor value to get a touch more highs.
    [​IMG]

16. Ermghoti

Ermghoti Senior Member

Forgot the Nutella.

17. lexluthier

How about Bondo? ;)

18. apolo

apolo Junior Member

i got my Joyo last week, hvnt put it away since. im considering making a full set, i really rate these little things, i have a boss gx-700, love it to bits, but having the little stomp boxes makes everything better, plus i love the design of the ultimate drive!

19. starne

starne Junior Member

Hey Guys,
    I did the mod, and something's not right--the sound is very thin and...not cool. Also I have zero effect with the tone knob. I had some trouble soldering in the new capacitor--the solder didn't want to stick to the trace. I resoldered the resistor on the tone pot: no change. So I think the problem is probably the C9 change (to .1 mf). If that cap is not properly soldered, could that cause the zilch effect using the tone knob?

20. Soef

Soef Member

I have both the Ultimate drive and the Crunch distortion and I noticed that the Ultimate drive work best when the amp is set ultra clean. It become too thick and boomy when the amp starts to distort. The Crunch then sounds better since it tighter and more focused. BTW: My amp is a Bugera 6262 which has loads of gain and breaks up easily on the clean channel.

How do you guys use the Ulitmate drive?