NPD: Echoplex

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by grayd8, Feb 10, 2019.

1. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Just got these pedals last week, the delay is everything I wished my DD-7 could be.

The preamp is quickly becoming the best pedal I didn’t know I needed, it doesn’t add a lot of gain, but it does make everything sound better. I was even able to add my script phase 90 back into the chain, previously it sucked so much tone out of the chain that it was unusable.
    487C42BB-8225-4993-A7B6-0AA1455C956C.jpeg

2. dc007

dc007 Senior Member

Sweet......is it kind of the same as the EP Booster??

3. efstop

efstop Gold Supporter

Folks were using the delay just for the preamp, so good move on Dunlop's part. And happy NPD!

4. Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81 Senior Member

Yes. I have the EP Booster

5. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

I’ve never had an EP booster, I can say with the Echoplex preamp plugged into the clean channel of a JCM 800, it doesn’t get very crunchy, but I already have an OCD for that. It does make the wound strings more bloomy and the plain strings more sparkly.

6. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Legendary pre amp that is on more recordings then you'd ever know. As efstop said people would use an orignal echoplex without even using the delay, just for the preamp. It adds something to a guitar signal that I cant quite described, maybe it's just a tone I wanna hear due to the fact that sooo many people used them on songs I love that it just sounds "right" to me.
    I have the xotic ep booster as well and I dont use it as a boost, just a preamp.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  7. jbash

jbash Senior Member

I own the Dunlop e- pre and the xotic ep boost.

they both sound very different from each other and neither do an actual echoplex justice. They both are nice clean type boosts though.

The most authentic recreation I have come.across is the pre in the Belle Epoch (catalinbread).

mdubya likes this.
  8. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Have you use the internal dip switch in the ep booster? From the factory they are set to a more modern sound, if you use the dip switch it is much closer (albeit still not exact) to the real deal.

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  9. jbash

jbash Senior Member

Oh yeah. I've run it in every combo of dip switch, at 9v, at 18v, just the battery, you name it.