NPD Dirty Shirley

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Big John, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Big John

Big John drinks are on the house V.I.P. Member

Currently inbound. Should be here in today's mail. Been looking forward to trying one since they were first announced.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  2. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I love mine. I also love my BE-OD. Great pedals.

3. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Senior Member

Love my BE-OD pedal. Would love to play the shirley pedal. HNPD!

4. Big John

Great Marshall-in-a-box pedal. Much better note separation than the BE-OD when playing chords. The distortion seems clearer, too. The Mid knob is the key for smaller, single speaker combos; ie. less is more, in my opinion. The pedal responds fine to volume changes on the guitar, as well. It basically turned my Mesa Subway Blues 1x10 combo into Marshall 18w 2x12 soundwise. I dig it.

5. 99_Revolutions

99_Revolutions Senior Member

Congrats! Is it as compressed sounding as all the demos on youtube sound? Does the mid knob have any pull in that compressed tone?

6. Big John

It does compress when the gain is cranked, but not near as much as the BE-OD. I could hear it start to come in when the gain knob goes past ~1:00 with the amp running loud. The flip side of this is it does give you more wiggle room on the guitar's volume knob for cleaning it up. Having a resistor/capacitor bypass mod the guitar's volume pot helps.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  7. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

Congrats! Love mine to bits. It replaced both the BE-OD and the KoT on my board :)

8. StormJH1

StormJH1 Senior Member

@Big John - Congrats on the Dirty Shirley! I hadn't necessarily planned on picking one up, but they were pretty widely marked down to $169.00, so that seemed like a good thing to try as a Black Friday purchase. It arrived yesterday and did not disappoint!

It has the great low-end response of one of the Wampler dirt boxes, but I find it even easier to dial in. Actually there's a pretty compelling argument I should sell my Pinnacle and a few of my cheapo MIAB options now, as I have a ton of redundancy going on with that type of pedal.

This one is a cut above, however. The clarity you noted is a big reason why. Also agree that the mids control is huge for smaller amps. A lot of people hear bright or harsh upper frequencies and assume that the way to prevent that is to roll off a bunch of treble. But on a small or mid-sized combo, you can make that pedal sound a lot bigger and more pleasing simply by scooping the mids. Especially if you're just playing alone and are less worried about standing out in the mix.

The pedal it reminded me of quite a bit was the MXR Super Badass Distortion. Not necessarily in the character of the gain - that's better on the Shirley - but in how the EQ controls and sweep of gain allow it to do so many different things.

Great pedal, I think it's going to be a favorite for some time.

9. Big John

Sheesh, this Friedman pedal might be hitting the road already. I caught wind yesterday of Soldano releasing another batch of GTO pedals. Called them up and sure as sh-t, 26 pedals available. So mine will be here Friday, and me thinks it'll kick the Friedman to the curb. I used to have an original GTO from the very first batch and should've never gotten rid of it.

10. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

Is the dirty Shirley anything like the Angry Charlie?

11. Big John

Close...I think the Charlie has more gain on tap and perhaps a slightly different midrange.

edit: the GTO showed up an hour ago and 100% kicked the Dirty Shirley's ass to the curb.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  12. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

What ya do with the KoT? :naughty:

13. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Ohhhhhh my godddddd...

14. Big John

I got my goat to sound like that demo last night, but only after I swapped out the stock JJ's for Chinese 6N4's (more gain and high end) and used a 2x12 Celestion cab. With the stock tubes and feeding a little Mesa combo, it's smoother sounding than that demo.

I'll probably keep the Dirty Shirley around because it does sound great

15. Stuff

Stuff Senior Member

I'm hanging onto it for now. Going to try it with some different amps, see if I can find one that works for me. Very reluctant to sell it. "Legendary" class pedals are hard to come by, and have been hard to replace whenever I've moved one on and regretted it.

16. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Very interesting pedal.