NPD - Digitech Drop

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Mockbel, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Hi Guys

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago asking about a pedal to change guitar tuning rather than having same specs guitars with different tunings which I am stuck in to some extent...

First, I was surprised that there is actually no pedal which is dedicated for drop tuning except this Digitech Drop and Morpheus Drop Tune pedal which is rare, larger in size, and has older technology as per the few reviews available on it.

So i decided to get the Drop... I got it from ebay in mint condition for $125 (Original price is $179)
    Received it yesterday so I spent an hour with it.

[​IMG]

The pedal was really in super mint condition with original adapter.. I hooked it just after the guitar even before the tuner so I can test the accuracy with the tuner.. Here we go:
    • The pedal sounds very very natural when you use it for one or two half steps.. more than this it starts to sound a bit more artificial. I need it only for 1 or 2 half steps so it is perfect for me
    • The pedal is really accurate.. tuning is dropped exactly as you set it.. I tested that with tuner... I tried a slightly untuned note then used the pedal to drop half step.. it is dropped with the same untuned variance.. super accurate to me
    • I used a headphone from the amp to my ears.. I hear only the processed note.. some reviews highlighted that this pedal produces both processed and dry note which is a mess.. no, I haven't experienced that even at very low clean tone volumes
    • The whole octave drop is very cool on clean tone to produce a bass guitar sound
    • The octave + dry mode is very cool too.. nice harmonized tone
    I hope this brief review helps in demonstrating this pedal... overall I like it

IMPORTANT:
    The pedal must be powered by the adapter supplied with it or a real good isolated power supply. At first I hooked it to the daisy chain, a lot of hisses and noise whether the pedal is ON or OFF. When I used a separate adapter (the one provided with pedal), things are back to normal.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    FennRx, Mookakian and CaptainT like this.
  2. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Senior Member

I've been using the Drop pedal for a couple of years, live at bar gigs. Works well, but it does seem to suck a little presence out of the sound. I only use it for 1/2 and full step drops. It's been a lifesaver, really, because of our singers limited range.

The Pitchfork is another pedal that does drop tunings.
    [​IMG]

3. Mockbel

Mockbel Senior Member

Yeah pitch fork (and any other pitch shifter) can do the trick by using the shift knob to drop the tune and the blend knob to have 100% processed sound.. however, most of those pedals have latency issues as they are not designed specifically for tuning drop, unlike the drop pedal which is designed for this purpose..

Rocco Crocco likes this.
  4. 8len8

8len8 Senior Member

Yeah, you usually can’t daisy chain digital effects like you found out.

5. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

2057A154-C28B-4A4B-A4AC-47BBF025CF35.jpeg My Drop pedal is an essential part of my board for playing live. Used this last Saturday.

Mockbel likes this.