NPD: BUGGFX Raincoat

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by northernguitarguy, Dec 26, 2017.

1. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I have once again been the recipient of Bugg's generosity! He 'cleans out a drawer' and I get killer FUZZ from a Raincoat prototype (plus another pedal, more on that in another thread). And my lord, what a monster this baby is!

I park it in front of my VOX Night Train on it's cleanest setting. As always, I start off with noon settings. Click it on and immediately, IT MAKES ITS PRESENCE KNOWN! Lordy, this is a loud pedal. I find unity with the volume set at 9:00. I bump back up to 10:00. Sustain and tone move up to 1:00 and I've found my sweet spot.

This is the sharpest but sweetest musical crunch I have ever heard. It's FUZZ with claws. Crispy-fried MUFF. I back off on the guitar volume a hair, and the crisp backs off, perfect warm MUFF FUZZ. I had it set like that after lunch break when I came back to play on it. I was just loving the warm fuzz, played it that way for a while. Looked down, what's this? Volume was down the whole time, turned it back up, crispy MUFF comes back. Makes me sound huge through my little amp and 1x10 practice cab.

Time for some neck pup MUFF, like I use when we cover Cherub Rock. Guitar volume trick works great to create that droning rhythm guitar sound. Turn the volume up and expect mush, but greeted with warm, crunchy goodness. Thick notes with sharp edges, nicely done.

Plays well with others. My favourite combo, the MUFF/flange is dynamite. The fat jet-engine. And it's so amazing with the Raincoat. Power chords churn with a heavy grind. It immediately leads to improv riffing. I'm using my right hand like I'm playing a percussion instrument and the rig responds as I want.

Switch to combine with the Daydream, BUGG's other divine effect. I've been using this to play the bombastic synth part when we cover Band On The Run. Fearing the Raincoat's crispy edge will be too much for the Daydream, it actually focuses and reins in the reverb squeal from my current fuzz. Nice to have the BUGGS together.

The Raincoat has knocked the reigning FUZZ pedal, a Cornish G2 clone, off my board. I can get it's FX with the Raincoat, but not that BUGG-y, crispy coating.

@bugg, this has been a great joy to play with! Your generosity is greatly appreciated. I am paying the G2 clone forward to a great old friend. Thank you!!!

2. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

The Raincoat is the best muff circuit I've played. What I love more than that, is how at low gain it can do the overdrive Stonesesque Tweed thing.

The Muffuletta by JHS is a great versatile all iterations of EHX muff in one box, and I like it, but I think the Raincoat circuit is my very fav and the one I'd pick. It's a really nice sounding fuzz, and I'm not normally a fuzz guy. I think the fact it can do a good not-broken sounding overdrive too is why I love it.

3. northernguitarguy

I just messed around with it tuned in Drop D. This is where I have been most impressed. I was tweaking up the sustain and tone controls. Sounded like a distortion and MUFF offspring. Ultra-chunky!

needlespauls likes this.
  4. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

My Bugg distortion is so good....might have to buy one of these!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  5. northernguitarguy

You know the incredible build quality. This pedal can pass for both a fuzz and distortion pedal. With the sustain and tone cranked, it’s classic distortion at its finest. Turn back on both and it goes warm and crispy fuzz. I NEED to jam with this pedal!

needlespauls likes this.
  6. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

Arrrrgh....ok this one is on my short-list!!!
    And you’re right...the quality is the toppest of the notch!!

northernguitarguy likes this.