NPD: Brandonwound '59 Clone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Bad.Seed, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

I got my 2002 R8 in a couple weeks ago, and have been loving it. I actually dig the burstbucker in the brudge, but I like my pickups bright and rude sounding with a bit more clarity.

My first choice was a Wolfetone Marshall head bridge, but I already have one in my 16 traditional, and there are too many pickups out there to us the same one in multiple guitars.

After researching a bit into some different winders, I realized I'd never tried or heard a Brandonwound pickup, but always head good things. I sent him an email explaining what I wanted, and he recommended an overwound '59 Clone with an Alnico IV magnet. I trusted his judgement and pulled the trigger.

The pickup came in today. I swapped the cover from the burstbucker onto it and installed it. Tuned up, let a nice a chord ring on my Friedman JJ, and I was immediately sold. This pickup was EXACTLY what I wanted. Tons of clarity (even more than the Marshall head) with an awesome jangly wah sounding mid range, and what I was most concerned with, a nice, tight and punchy low end. This pickup is a great in between of the Marshall head and burstbucker. It's not quite as rude and hot as the Marshall head, not white as soft and mellow as the burstbucker. It can be soft, quite and sweet with some light over drive and a slight volume roll off, and then kick in the high gain and dime the volume knob and it gets mean wuick, but retains a ton of clarity under a lot of gain.

I tested it on the crunch and lead channel of my jsx, and on my Vht Deliverance 60 as well, which can be picky about guitars and pickups and enjoyed it very much through both. I'm surprised these pickups don't get more fanfare here!!

Anyways, I'm totally happy with how this bridge in came out.

View attachment 261147 View attachment 261148 View attachment 261149 View attachment 261150 20170902_145743.jpg

Benjammin and Guitar Rod like this.
  2. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

20170902_103330.jpg 20170902_145727.jpg 20170902_103310.jpg 20170902_103159.jpg

Guitar Rod likes this.
  3. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

My next pickups will be Brandonwound.

4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

Jared is a good guy.

I have his JP#1 set and it's solid.

Bad.Seed likes this.