NPD: Brandonwound '59 Clone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Bad.Seed, Sep 2, 2017.

1. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

DiMarzio and Duncan pickups have slightly different specs and use some different materials than they did 30 years ago. A modern Super Distortion doesn't sound exactly like a 1978 Super Distortion, and the same holds true for most DiMarzios and Duncans.

They are mass produced, mass marketed pickups designed (and then REdesigned) to work with the largest number of guitars possible so that they sound good in all of them. Of course, that takes away some of the distinctiveness that the original versions of those pickups had when they were first introduced.

An independent winder/builder will often ask what kind of guitar you're putting the pickups in, and what kind of tones you're looking for - and will adjust the winds, change magnets, or offer other suggestions to make sure that the pickups are optimized for the buyer's needs. You just don't get that kind of personalized service - or tone - from the big boys. They can't do that anymore (and haven't been able to since the 70's).

And that's why I said that independent winders/builders have pickups with more character. They aren't mass produced, and they are often personalized to the player for their specific wants and needs.

Like I said - DiMarzio and Duncan make good pickups. They work for a lot of people, but not for everyone or every guitar.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
    bassmannlespaulman likes this.
  2. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I think the personalized service is a big part of the reason the independent winders have been so succeful in the past fifteen years. The two big names seemed to have dropped the ball when it comes to connecting with the guitar community. They think that buying ad space in guitar magazines and banner space on websites is all they need to do. Meanwhile, the proprietors who frequent these forums enjoy tremendous free word of mouth advertising, and good will from their customers. Each forum seems to have its resident boutique winders who enjoy a lot of popularity on that forum, for having engaged with their customers directly.

3. bassmannlespaulman

bassmannlespaulman Senior Member

That's great to hear...i just got my PAT# brandonwound pickups shipped today so they'll be here in 2 days. Except i bought covers from his website and asked if he could put them on... and he will free of charge if you buy his covers

4. bassmannlespaulman

I have a disdain for the *burger king* and *McDonald's* of pickup making myself lol.... however, they too, have a custom shop to cater to the personalized taste of their customers. However due to their legendary business, you gotta do it over email you can't just call them up and have long conversation about the tone you're seeking it takes a long time. Whereas a quick phone call and you'll be in touch with the direct winder making your pickup, plus you'll had it in 2 weeks Vs getting a response regarding your personalized pickup once a week.

So the service is quicker plus, the boutique guys use magnets the big companies don't. Let's say my 64 Gibson sg pickup died. Now i can have them rewind it by those companies. But let's say i wanna new PAT# that's vintage correct type of pickup. I can't get kinda pickup from seymour Duncan. He doesn't use short alnico 2 or 5 magnets like the originals. There's a niche for both you exist. I want something as close to a 62 or 57 or whatever guitar and i want the pickup to have the exact same type of materials, some guys just want something that sound good. Everybody got their preferences.

5. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Actually, you can get that kind of pickup from the Seymour Duncan Custom Shop.

6. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

*ding ding*

we have a winner

bassmannlespaulman likes this.
  7. guitar-rocker

guitar-rocker Senior Member

I have had three humbucker transactions with Jared, bought a set of off the shelf pickups of his, had a set custom of humbuckers wound, and had a humbucker pickup base replaced.

The custom wound humbuckers are absolutely fantastic, and I'll never part with them. That was one of the best decisions that I have made on pickups. They were built from a spool of 1954 wire, were very expensive, but really exhibit great clarity and tone. A great job on those.

The other two incidents were less than stellar transactions, in fact the stock set that I bought from Jared I sent back due to being very muddy. He said that he had found the resolution, and sent them back. The replacements weren't any better. I didn't care for that deal at all.

And the pickup base replacement is going to get redone proper.

8. bassmannlespaulman

I had a similar feeling about my brandonwound PAT# pickups