NPD: Brandonwound '59 Clone

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Bad.Seed, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

I got my 2002 R8 in a couple weeks ago, and have been loving it. I actually dig the burstbucker in the brudge, but I like my pickups bright and rude sounding with a bit more clarity.

My first choice was a Wolfetone Marshall head bridge, but I already have one in my 16 traditional, and there are too many pickups out there to us the same one in multiple guitars.

After researching a bit into some different winders, I realized I'd never tried or heard a Brandonwound pickup, but always head good things. I sent him an email explaining what I wanted, and he recommended an overwound '59 Clone with an Alnico IV magnet. I trusted his judgement and pulled the trigger.

The pickup came in today. I swapped the cover from the burstbucker onto it and installed it. Tuned up, let a nice a chord ring on my Friedman JJ, and I was immediately sold. This pickup was EXACTLY what I wanted. Tons of clarity (even more than the Marshall head) with an awesome jangly wah sounding mid range, and what I was most concerned with, a nice, tight and punchy low end. This pickup is a great in between of the Marshall head and burstbucker. It's not quite as rude and hot as the Marshall head, not white as soft and mellow as the burstbucker. It can be soft, quite and sweet with some light over drive and a slight volume roll off, and then kick in the high gain and dime the volume knob and it gets mean wuick, but retains a ton of clarity under a lot of gain.

I tested it on the crunch and lead channel of my jsx, and on my Vht Deliverance 60 as well, which can be picky about guitars and pickups and enjoyed it very much through both. I'm surprised these pickups don't get more fanfare here!!

Anyways, I'm totally happy with how this bridge in came out.

20170902_103159.jpg 20170902_103330.jpg 20170902_103310.jpg 20170902_145727.jpg

Skit and Kris Ford like this.
  2. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

I love pickups from independent builders/winders.

Over time I've found that the big boys' pickups can be a bit... safe. Sterile, sometimes. Even the best of them don't have as much character as you'd get from a Brandonwound (from what I've read - haven't tried any yet, but may do so at some point), ReWind, Vineham, Wolfetone, etc. There's certainly nothing wrong with the big boys' pickups, and there's a reason why they became successful in the first place, but if you want some real character and out of the ordinary tone going with an independent pickup maker (where you can often even have the specs altered for your needs) is the best way to go.

I'm glad that those Brandonwounds turned out as well as they did. I know ReWinds are excellent, and I've read nothing but glowing reviews of the Vineham pickups, and the Wolfetone's have great reviews as well. Yeah, getting a DiMarzio or a Duncan is easy and convenient, but the little guys will help get you the tone you're looking for!

Skit and Guitar Rod like this.
  3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

I am not sure how to judge if a pickup line has more character than another, much less how that translates to actual sound. I either like the sound of a particular pickup, or don't.

4. darthphineas

darthphineas Senior Member

B5Erik,

there was a time when the big boys were not the big boys and the personal touch was just that. now it's the boutique guys that have the opportunity to give the personal touch that shows appreciation for a customer, and that's what can make the difference

Kris Ford and Bad.Seed like this.
  5. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Maybe whether the big names are safe, or are lacking character, is more a product of our minds than it is the pickups themselves.

6. Bad.Seed

Bad.Seed Senior Member

Pickups and tone in general is a very subjective thing. What one may think is the holy grail, someone else might hate.
    Perfect example, I brought my 2013 LP Traditional into my local music shop for a friend to try out who was interested in purchasing it. He had his traditional with him as well, which had the stock 57 classics in it. My guitar was much brighter sounding, overall, than his was, and he was not into it at all. I personally loved how the guitar sounded, and the only reason I was considering selling it is because I was thinking about buying an R8 (which I obviously did, and kept the Trad, too)

Different strokes and all.

I will agree, that I have never played a Duncan or Dimarzio that has knocked me off my feet. There is something about most of te Duncans that I just found lacking, sterile I guess is a good word to describe it. I like their pickups for the most part, but they would never be my first choice. Dimarzio, same deal. I've never played on that I felt nailed what I was going for. The Wolfetone and Brandonwound both have me completely content.

Kris Ford likes this.
  7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Jared has ALWAYS treated me right...ALWAYS.

He does excellent repair work as well.

8. AJK1

AJK1 Senior Member

Such BS

thrashmetl likes this.
  9. morbidalex666

morbidalex666 Senior Member

Don't do that man...

Skit likes this.
  10. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Let's not totally derail the thread.

Obviously, in my enthusiasm for supporting independent winders/builders, I may have rubbed a couple people the wrong way.

Duncan and DiMarzio make good pickups. I like some of them.

I LOVE the pickups from the little guys - like Brandonwound, ReWind, Guitarforce, Vineham, etc. There's just something different about them that I prefer. Like a little extra seasoning in your food without being too much.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
  11. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

I think the psychology of it all is very interesting. Suppose for instance all these pickups sound very nearly exactly the same, and the myriad variation we hear has to do with what we think about them, what others have said about them, how we feel about who makes them, where they're made, the price point, how many stars they got, etc. It's incredible to think all that could be so involved with our sense of hearing. Or our sense of taste, in the case of fancy wines. Or our sense of smell, in the case of fancy cigars.

12. B5Erik

B5Erik Senior Member

Well, here's the thing about independent winders - they can custom wind pickups to more closely match what you want or need. That's a pretty big deal.

Skit likes this.
  13. Skit

Skit Witch Doctor Premium Member

Then again suppose that if your senses are dulled to the point where you can't differentiate between wines, cigars or pickups maybe it's time for a doctors visit. :) Have a Prime 50 day dry aged steak and see if it tastes the same as a Choice steak you buy in a supermarket.

14. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

15. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Or let us grasp that some of us are able to disentangle our perception from our expectation. But its always hardest for those with the most cynicism to even grasp that others might be open minded......that sort of thing being so far from their own abilities that it must seem like magic.

16. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

If two things are very different, like apples and oranges, I have no doubt in anyone's ability to disentangle perception from expectation, but when comparing two oranges... I'm not so sure. And that's really the essence of being open minded: not being sure.

17. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

There's a gap of almost 36 years between some pickups of the same models that I've bought and that I've tested/compared: it's true that my oldest and most recent examples of SSL1's or SH1s are really different: they haven't the same LRC specs, Gauss readings, resonant peaks. My oldest SH1's (which were not even yet sold as "Duncan" since they were "Seymourized" pickups wtih the oval sticker) have almost nothing in common with recent Duncan SH1s, technically and tonally.
    Recent iterations are not bad but they are certainly different and sound less "idiosyncratic" (IOW, they could be described as having less "character").

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    B5Erik likes this.
  18. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Pretty sure a Mandarin and Clementine are very distinctly different...or if you want to go apples to apples I prefer Gala to Red Delicious. This old argument is well, getting old.

I feel sorry for those who can't hear a difference in pickups; not saying anything is better sounding than anything else as it's all subjective, but it's like saying red and blue don't look different or a Ferrarri is no different than a Pacer because they both go from point A to B.

Do amps make a difference? Of course not..it's just tubes and wires so how could it? Does wood in the guitar? NOPE! And pickups are all the same.

bassmannlespaulman likes this.
  19. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

A wine connoisseur might feel sorry for those who claim they can't tell one wine from the next. Does a connoisseur's senses really become more refined over time, or just their tendency to confabulate?

Jimmy Hendrix is famous for a lot of things, but one of them is claiming he didn't think pickups made all that much of a difference, and a good number of professional musicians never feel the need to swap out their stock pickups. Would you say they're failing to tell a Ferrari from a Pacer?

20. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

I know a lot of pro musicians who have never messed with their pickups, and I know a lot who have. Why is it that way? It's just that some don't care and some do. Jimi Hendrix didn't care? Okay. Clapton and Page did. Slash didn't (but now that they pay him to he does). You don't? Cool. Horses for courses and some such. I just find it odd that you jump into a thread like this and start telling everybody that they're imagining the change just because you can't hear one. You may not hear it but the OP does, and many others do. Seems an attempt to stir the pot more than anything.

bassmannlespaulman and Skit like this.