NPD Boss/JHS Angry Driver

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by Les Paul Newb, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Les Paul Newb

Les Paul Newb Senior Member

This is the new collaboration between Boss & JHS (Boss' first ever collab). It's 2 different pedals in one, the Boss Blues Driver & the JHS Angry Charlie.

You can run either circuit by itself, or in series, with the BD-2 going into the Angry Charlie or visa-versa. You can also run them parallel. Concentric pots are used so each pedal has its own level, tone, and drive.

Originally I was looking for 2 overdrive pedals. A lower gain type, like a tube screamer or Klon/klone, and a higher gain "Marshall in a box". The 2 I decided on were the EHX Soul Food and the Carl Martin Plexi Tone. Then I came across the JB-2 Angry Driver.

I also picked up a used EHX Holy Grail Plus on eBay, and while I was there decided to grab a behringer TO800 because I wanted to try out a tube screamer without paying high prices. The TO800 uses the 4558 ICs and MA 150 diodes, but it's only $20 new because its comes in a plastic case and uses crap knobs/switches. But the A/B comparisons on YouTube sounded spot on to the TS808.

IMG_9387.JPG
    IMG_9388.JPG
    IMG_9389.JPG
    IMG_9390.JPG

Attached Files:

Alligatorbling and El Pablo like this.
  2. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Cool pedals!

iirc, The Behringer pedals are ABS plastic so should be good for general stomping. The two I own (BSY-600 & FL600) have held up just fine over the years and I stomp on them just like everything else.

3. Les Paul Newb

I'm impressed. The price point is superb. I'm considering getting Berhringer's EQ pedal. Basically a Boss copy.

Companies like Mooer, Joyo, and Behringer (and to a lesser extent EHX) are providing great options at low prices.

I was the type of person who wouldn't even give these companies the time of day. But after many "shootout" YouTube videos, I can see that each of these companies has a few offerings that are damn near exactly what they're trying to copy, at a fraction of the cost. They have ones that fall short too, but at the cost, it's ok if you end up not vibing with it.

Guitaraxe likes this.
  4. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

It’s amazing what you can do by completely copying someone’s else’s circuit and design with zero R&D costs whilst cheaping out on the components and having it built by 10 year olds in a 3rd world country ... ;)

Les Paul Newb and Guitaraxe like this.
  5. tolm

tolm Bigsby Junkie Premium Member

Really want an Angry Driver, though.

Les Paul Newb and Guitaraxe like this.
  6. Les Paul Newb

So true lol