NPD - 'Bling Colorsound Fuzz - about 3 weeks ago

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by mdubya, Oct 21, 2017.

1. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

:thumb::dude:

2 things happened at once: I got a new guitar (ES LP) the same week the 'Bling Colorsound Fuzz arrived. At first, I had everything plugged in together, but it was just too overwhelming. While I love Les Pauls, I am really an Other Gibson guy, so I need to acclimate to playing a Les Paul, again.

'Bling's Colorsound is a HELL of a fuzz. Trying to figure out how best to use it and figure out the LP...:eek2: So I unplugged the fuzz for a bit.

Now, I am plugged back in. Great vintage bubbling, gurgling tones. Plenty of crushed glass and ripping canvas tones, too. You can go anywhere from heavy 60's garage acid rock to modern doom tones. I have been trying to capture a good demo, but it is me that can't deliver. Everything I record is WAY too noisey and out of control (can't seem to help myself :oops: ). Again, that is me, not the pedal.

We've got 1 knob and that is it. By the time it is making any sound, it is getting heavy. I've been running it at around 10 o'clock on the dial. Rolling down the guitar volume can emit some convincing early Zeppelin and Yardbirds type fuzz tones. Rolling up takes you into Blue Cheer and Black Sabbath and beyond.

The original Colorsound was supposed to maintain composure without sputtering out. I've run it on "10" and boosted it with the 'Bling Treble Booster, a TS type Maxon OD808, and a few different virtual OD's front the AX8 modeler. It delivers the no sputter hype.

'Bling has saved me a small fortune with this pedal and the Treble Booster. Fantastic classic circuits that deliver authentic vintage tones in spades. Highly recommended.

I'll try to post some not too horrible clips in the next day or 2. In the meantime, I am having too much fun. :jam: :yesway:

The blue box in this photo. The swirl job is the Treble boost.

[​IMG]

Who, Rich, Hector Arcadius and 4 others like this.
  2. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Bling fuzziez are awesome, totally regret selling mine, stoked he is still at it, just blew all my cash on tubes and Chase Bliss pedals but ill keep an eye out in future, where did you get onto this one?

Demo us up, dont be shy i suck at new prdals too... but keen to hear this one!

Sounds like a Telecaster might be on your cards

Rich, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  3. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I got the Colorsound and the Treble Booster directly from the man himself. :yesway:

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/blue-boosters-oc44-rangemaster-clones-mullard-gold-saucers.398349/

The thing I like about Ryan's pedals, these clones, particularly, is he just gives you the best version of a classic pedal. He doesn't add half a dozen buttons and switches the original never had.

And while the Colorsound is a cool and fun and great sounding pedal...the Treble Booster has become a "can't live without" pedal.

Who, matthew bear and Alligatorbling like this.
  4. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

the colorsound is my favorite bling pedal!

I made a little demo of one on my Kemper a while back, it's just cell phone audio in the room, but I think it can give an understanding of the goods.

Who, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  5. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I See you have a stiletto... so do i!

How does she gel with the colorsound? Im building an FZ1 and a Hydrosis right now, well... waiting for some parts to arrive, im super tempted but i gotra stop this spending spree, i have like 300 bucks to my name now, if an emergency poped up id be in a bit of strife!

Then threads like this pop up, you bastardo$

Who, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  6. matthew bear

matthew bear Senior Member

I really like this pedal with the stiletto clean channel, like in the video. I'd say it gels quite nicely! It's a really fun pedal to work your guitars volume pots with, you get all kinda tones out of it :thumb:

Mookakian, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  7. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Yeah just downloaded and played via the tv/stereo... both killer sounding fuzzies... both the same circuit? I couldnt tell the difference between the Astro and the smaller "colorsound" box really...

Say bling... did you ever tackle a Foxx Tone Machine?

Rich, mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  8. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

^mook, nah havent built one of those. they are very cool circuits though. :)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Great demo, Mr. Bear! That pretty much nails it right down to the 10 o'clock setting. :applause:

I was using a Lone Star model, dry, with a little bit of a bark, but not anything anyone would consider very dirty. I was also using the ODS HRM model with the Colorsound.

It is kind of funny describing the fuzz through a modeler, but that is what I have right now at my disposal.

Some early attempts were through a Rockerverb model. The Rockerverb sounds great on its own. With the Colorsound it goes right over the cliff; stoner doom mayhem. <<<--- All in the best connotations of those words.

^^^ All of that was with the ES LP with MHS buckers.

Mook - Ryan's stuff is so affordable, you almost can't say no. ;)

ETA: I didn't even know what a Lone Star was when I was using that model. It just sounded good. I realize, now, it is a Mesa model too. :hmm:

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Alligatorbling likes this.
  10. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I Know, if i saw a Foxx Tone Machine id sell my brothers kidney and buy em all :dude:

But 5 fuzzies is more than enough for me, more the point, i have spent way too much this month, you dont wanna know.

When i get around to selling my V3 ocd ill bite, specially if its a Foxx Tone Machine, i should build one... they arent that difficult looking at thr citcuit, time is the biggest factor, im working on 5 FZ1s and 5 Hydrosis Fuzzies already snd doing love jobs on locals guitars while i wirk on mending the belly migraines

mdubya and Alligatorbling like this.
  11. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Tim (although we derailing the thread - sorry MW & Ryan!), if it's a Foxx Tone Machine clone you're looking for, try to find the (discontinued now) MXR La Machine. Killer, killer fuzz box, I love mine with my Strat. With humbuckers, not to much, though.

Anyways, congrats on the new Bling pedal, MW! Ryan makes very nice pedals and prices them on the too-good-to-be-true territory, I think! Enjoy yours!

Alligatorbling, Mookakian and mdubya like this.
  12. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Its the octave access via footdwitch that im craving, ill build one after this current expodition ive embarked on.

Unless ryan beats me to it :naughty:

Alligatorbling and mdubya like this.
  13. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I have been finding the real magic of this pedal lies in the pickup volumes. The guitar volume knob seems to almost engage gain stages. I play a lot with the guitar volume on 1-2. It is still very fuzzy, but thinner, more 60's vintage sounding, up to 3 or 4 for leads. 5-8 gets heavily fuzzy and 9-10 takes you into a modern Stoner/Doom territory. This may be because I am using humbuckers (full sized hb's in a non-reverse Firebird at the moment).

The pedal is also great for pushing the amp hard. There really isn't a "unity" setting. Which I like. Fuzz pedals sound "best" and most "authentic" with the volume dime'd and the fuzz dialed to taste. I think that is a very demanding way to play for a lot of people used to having their pedals be well behaved. This pedal does not have a "well behaved" setting. :applause:

But the more I play this pedal, the more I appreciate the Colorsound circuit. This is the real deal!

Still no demo, but I am loving playing this pedal!

Mookakian and Alligatorbling like this.
  14. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

@Alligatorbling

Hey, isn't your two knob fuzz based on the Astro Tone? I think I remember you saying that but I could be wrong. That one is my favorite of yours - it starts out more like an overdrive at lower input then blooms into glorious fuzz the harder you push it. Love it! :thumb:

Mookakian and Alligatorbling like this.
  15. Alligatorbling

Alligatorbling ★AstroCat★ Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Rich, the two knob was a variation of the jordan bosstone fuzz. i changed a few things in the circuit to make it do what you said, more overdrive at lower setting, fuzz at full on. glad to hear you are still enjoying it!

Mookakian likes this.