NPD: Analogman Sunface CV7005

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by David Garner, Nov 2, 2017.

1. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

Friends, this pedal is transformative. I just got it earlier this week. Mostly to use with my Strat, but I played the Les Paul through it this morning and it was a revelation. Beautiful, complex, overdriven tone with the volume on the guitar at 8 to 8.5 or so. Thick, wooly, ridiculous fuzz/distortion with the guitar volume on 10. Chimey cleans with the guitar volume on 3-6 or so.

I've never used a fuzz face type before. I highly recommend trying one. FWIW, with the Les Paul, it sounds much better through my Marshall amp than my Deluxe Reverb. It sounds good through both, but it is just classic through the Marshall. And it likes the amp to be cooking a little -- don't set it dead clean.

[​IMG]

Rich likes this.
  2. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

That's key - I think Fuzz Face style pedals sound best through an amp that's already at least a little dirty.

Congrats on the new Sun Face! I have an older version (NKT 275) that is probably my favorite Fuzz Face clone - and I own a bunch of Fuzz Face clones, more than I use. That bias knob and the input trimmer (I wish the latter was also on top instead of inside of the box) are where the sweetest tones are mined, IMO. Enjoy!

This is what sold me on the Sunface. The picture shows a Les Paul but Katon is a big time Strat guy. He's playing his Sunface through some sort of Marshall and it sounds FANTASTIC.

David Garner likes this.
  3. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

I had the LG version built with top loading jacks. Definitely my favorite fuzz that I've tried. Congrats on yours!

David Garner likes this.
  4. David Garner

David Garner Senior Member

Mike says the CV7005 transistors are very similar, if not identical, to the NKT275 white dots. I asked him to select trannys in the same basic range as a regular gain white dot. I have no idea if they sound alike, but man it sounds amazing.

I played through my Mesa tonight a little. It prefers the Marshall still. I might need to get one of those little 1-watt Marshalls just so I can enjoy this thing at home.

Rich likes this.
  5. Rich

Rich Non sequitur Premium Member

I'm sure it sounds AWESOME. In my opinion, Analogman pedals are about as top shelf as you can get and he doesn't turn out anything that he doesn't believe is going to sound great. I don't know what the difference is (if any) in any of these transistors; Analogman sources from what they can get their hands on - as long as it sounds great - and the CV7005 might even sound better to me than the NKT 275 ones for all I know; I was just trying to put up a frame of reference, not compare anything. What I do know is that when you buy from Analogman, you're buying the best. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    David Garner likes this.