Notched Bridge Saddles

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by Seannn, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Seannn

Seannn Junior Member

How deep should the strings sit on the bridge saddles? The top strings sit down into the grooves hopefully without binding. The prior owner deeply notched the saddles for the lower thicker strings. Can you offer me some guidance please.

Attached Files:

2. fumblefinger

fumblefinger Senior Member

Guidance? Replace them.

JohnnyN likes this.
  3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

+1

4. sibyrpunk

sibyrpunk Senior Member

The previous owner trashed them, like said above replace them.

5. SwisherSweets

SwisherSweets Senior Member

from what i gather, all you really need is just a notch to hold them, so they don't slip, and have them set to the radius of your fretboard. If you were to fine tune them, the notches should be half the width of the strings, like how you do a guitar nut. not sunk in around them.
    Those look way too much on the notching, so just replace with a gotoh bridge or whatever brand of your liking.

6. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

7. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I put a pre notched Gotoh bridge on my Epi 56 GT P90 LP, and the "starter notches" lined up perfectly. I only needed to file the notches in the high and low "E" string positions slightly to secure the strings. Tone was really improved. Also, on the Gotoh, the saddles were thinner at the top than the stock bridge, which I also think helped tone. StewMac sells this bridge, which is a drop in, for about $30 delivered to the door. This bridge comes with a set of studs which, on my guitar, were a much tighter fit in the sleeves than the stock ones.

To directly answer your question, the deeper the notches in the saddles, the wider the saddle area that is in contact with the strings, and the more the tone is deadened thereby, IMO. Better buy a Gotoh.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    fumblefinger likes this.
  8. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

I sink the wound strings no more than halfway in and the unwound strings no more than near-flush. ...that's max. I don't generally go nearly that far, even for myself, and I'm a heavy-handed player who can knock the strings out of the saddles if I top wrap.

9. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

In response to cool junk's response, I agree. I do not top wrap, and in fact I keep the sharpest angle of the strings over the saddles -- so long as the strings don't contact the back of the bridge body. But however you do your TP, I think it is important to keep the saddle notches as shallow as possible.

fumblefinger likes this.