Notation Software Help Please

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by kmrumedy, Dec 29, 2017.

1. kmrumedy

kmrumedy Senior Member

Hi -

I was looking for a notation software package so I could create both musical and tab notation for students.

So far I am leaning towards Guitar Pro 7 (These are bass lessons).

I have never worked with these kinds of programs before so here is my newbie question -

Are there any notation packages out there that have audio recognition without midi interface?

Meaning I record my amp via a mic - Then send the audio file into a piece of software that recognizes the notes?

Or is it still a complete hands on painful process?

Also - I am assuming if I write something in music notation it can automatically be transposed to TAB and vice versa? Is that right?

Thanks in advance. John

2. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

Concerning scoring by hand, I really like Tabledit. I find it much easier to use then Guitar Pro. And yes you can work in tab or staff notation. Lot's of other options for creating nice looking music. My guitar teacher turned me on to it. So as a teacher, he likes it.

https://www.tabledit.com/

Concerning listening and automatically transcribing what you play, I don't think there is anything that can do that.

But check out Melodyne, I believe it has some capabilities along these lines. I just pulled this link up based on what I remembered reading about it.

http://www.celemony.com/en/melodyne/what-is-melodyne

If transcribing what you play is really important, consider getting a Roland GR-55 guitar synth. It will convert what you play to MIDI, which can of course be notated. You can either get a guitar with a Roland hex pickup built it, or add one to a guitar you already have. I think there are options for all types of guitars, electric, steel string acoustic, classical.

Though you probably need a pretty good scoring program to convert the MIDI to something close to what you want. Though maybe Tabledit will do it well enough.

I think this is supposed to be one of the more sophisticated notation programs, that I suspect works well with MIDI, and maybe other things.

http://www.avid.com/sibelius

Another idea for transcribing your own playing is to record yourself with audio and video , and use a program like Transcribe!. It doesn't do it automatically, but makes it very easy to extract notes and especially timing. It may just make it a bit easier than playing, stopping, jotting down, play, stop etc.

https://www.seventhstring.com/

kmrumedy likes this.
  3. kmrumedy

kmrumedy Senior Member

Thank you so much for the detailed answer! Much appreciated.

4. spitfire

spitfire Senior Member

You're welcome and be sure to report back what you find and ultimately end up using. I'm sure there are other products to consider as well, so hopefully some others will chime in with their ideas.

5. Mexicanbreed

Mexicanbreed Senior Member

You can also look at the Fishman Triple Play, which will convert your guitar notes to MIDI (plus it´s Bluetooth, so you can be entirely wireless!). I use the Jam Origin MIDI Guitar software, which does the same albeit not as accurate. I´ve never used MIDI Guitar as a notation tool, but it does output MIDI, so I don´t see why you couldn´t. Regarding this app: it´s a fraction of the FTP, but it does a more than OK job, plus you can use ANY guitar with it. The FTP needs to be physically mounted to the guitar(s). Still, I have a lot of fun with it.