Not the norm...

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by sangandongo, Jul 21, 2010.

1. sangandongo

sangandongo V.I.P. Member

I don't usually ask about fakes. I can typically spot them. Norlin fakes even more so than moderns... but this...

First fret trap inlay? Rosewood binding? WTF! I love it if it's real...

Early 70's Gibson Les Paul Goldtop

What stands out is that the plastic is too white and the gold looks too mustardy.

Attached Files:

• gt.jpg
      gt.jpg
      File size:
      8.8 KB
      Views:
  2. TU BE

TU BE Senior Member

Ask for more pics. Particularly of the serial number, headstock etc. Can't tell much from that pic.

3. teeloh

teeloh Senior Member

If I had to take a wild guess, i would say a deluxe that has been fiddled with.

But to remove the guessing, more pics.

4. Echevarria

Echevarria Senior Member

The first fret inlay could be a pick and the binding reminds me of the 50's tribute studio that everyone is raving about except it has mini-hb's. More detailed pictures should tell what it really is. :hmm:

5. murkat

murkat V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

do not rule out the plausible employee speck'd special..... happened, happens all the time

6. sangandongo

I bought it for $1500. It's so. so. so. sick. I will share vids, etc. later. I can't tell you how excited this makes me. Sold my '79 Rickenbacker 450 / 12 string to fund it. Hell of a trade up.

Attached Files:

7. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Appears to be real.. And that doesn't look like an inlay at the first fret. Dunno what that is though.

I think it has just had its binding removed or something.

8. sangandongo

maybe, but the finish goes right over. no evidence of that.

9. Xavier_32

Xavier_32 Senior Member

Definitely not an inlay. It's a triangle shaped pick. Lots of bassist use them. That's where I keep mine, too, right between the strings on the first fret.

10. Boleskinehouse

Could have been ordered that way I suppose.

11. sangandongo

I imagine either is possible. It's simply something that can't be known for sure. I will take a black light to it when I get a chance.

Forgot to mention, it's not an inlay. It was a pick.

12. sangandongo

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That bottom line was me making a statement before I had the guitar in my possession. That was classic me. I refuse to edit it as punishment to myself for speaking too soon. :)

Based on the Norlin FAQ, this serial indicates the guitar is a '74, as it has 500,000 range number.

Features:
    rosewood binding: looks legit. this isn't a refin either. The binding on the neck only runs up a bit from where it leaves the body and it's tapered on to the edge. There is no edge binding up the neck and there never was a binding channel cut. strange!

First fret inlay: I bet this was done after purchase, but who knows. It's a different material from the trap inlays and has less aging. The guy I bought it from says it was there when he got the guitar in 78.

Brass nut: The previous owner put that on in 78.

Tuners: grovers. Appear untouched. nothing else has been on it.

TRC: Says "Custom" rather than "Deluxe"

Neck: three piece mahogany.

Body: pancake

Neck Pickup: no sticker!
    Bridge pickup: Pat.No black 60s style sticker.
    Pots: Clarostat 500k audio taper
    Caps: Sprague orange drop .047
    No evidence that this has been desoldered or resoldered. Appears all original.

After these shots I removed the poker chip and kept the guard off. I prefer gold tops to be nekkid.

Anyhow... here are pics.
    Picasa Web Albums - sangandongo - Les Paul Gold...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the strange inlay:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The rosewood binding:
    [​IMG]

13. Boleskinehouse

Very strange. What is that inlay supposed to be? And what is that under the guard?!? :laugh2:

14. J.T.

J.T. Senior Member

That rosewood binding is the bomb. I love it.

15. Gemm

Gemm Senior Member

Really intriguing guitar!

It looks like a some kind of logo? And the thing under the guard looks like something put on to stop the screw from touching the body (and to stop the movement)?

16. sangandongo

Yeah, that inlay is funky weird. I don't know if it was done after the others or what.

Yeah, I do too. An unsuspecting person might confuse this for a modern LP Studio. It's almost like camouflage in that sense. I love the coloration though... really gives this guitar a unique vibe.

I'm going to put the shape into an image search and see if I can come up with anything.

And yes, that little thing on the body was a piece of sticky rubber that had gone flat. A small dimple was already in place below the nut under the pick guard, i think this was placed there to keep it from getting worse, since the damage had already been done.

I had to run by my band practice space last night to pick up my charger for my Mac. One of my band mates was there with another friend recording some stuff, so I couldn't crank, but I did get to plug it into my '63 GA-40T for a quick, clean run. I have never played a true ABR-1 Les Paul, nor one with anything but a short tennon.

Maybe it was new-car-fever, but it was amazing. I need more time with it. Band practice is on Friday. I'm chomping the bit to really dig in with this.

The other strange thing I forgot to note: Treble vol/tone controls are on top. Does this wiring seem funny looking at all? I mean, aside from the pickup wiring, there's no braiding. The bridge wire is covered too. I pulled a knob and lifted the washer; looks like it's never been off the guitar. (shame on me.)

[​IMG]

17. Boleskinehouse

The wiring isn't stock, that's for sure... And I've never seen that "(B)" stamp in anything either.

18. sangandongo

Shot him an email about the "B" and the wiring asking him what he knows. He may have been lying, which is more than likely, but whatever. $1,500 for this is a good price. I could flip it in a minute if I had to.

19. sangandongo

Boles: based on color and pick-up cavities and the covering of the top binding edge, what are your thoughts on the possibility this being a refin?

*edit - It seems to me that with all the checking on the sides, back, neck and headstock, the top should not have escaped without a good bit of its own. There is a bit of light checking, and there is a microscopic separation between the binding top, but that's the extent of it.

20. Boleskinehouse