Not sure what to charge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Sep 19, 2017.

1. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

being it is your first guitar, it would be super if we could gather up a few bucks and buy it from you and sell it back to you for a nominal fee.....say 1 dollar. i'm game for a few bucks. wish i could do the whole thing. once it's gone, it's gone. would be great to have it there for your kids....nay body??? or am i breaking some rules here?

KP11520 and Skyjerk like this.
  2. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

FDP, I sincerely appreciate the notion. Its a beautiful thing and one of the reasons I love this forum so much. Its the people (like you), not the guitars, that make this place great.

I'm OK with selling this, though. It does have some sentimental value, but I really dont play it anymore and frankly my little studio is getting a bit cluttered with the guitars I've built. I dont see myself stopping any time soon so I need to make some room. My surviving son has two Addict guitars already and will probably get a lot more before I shuffle off this mortal coil. Kinda like to teach him the craft if he develops an interest. No need to make a special effort to save any for him :)

3. Robert Parker

Robert Parker Senior Member

I agree with most all of what's been said. I wouldn't take less than $1500 for either one unless I needed to eat. I realize that the name on the headstock matters a lot in terms of marketability, but you'd be looking at maybe twice that for a Gibson or PRS that was anywhere near comparable what yours look like. That 22 Special is where I want to get with my skills. It's amazing.

Skyjerk likes this.
  4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I too think $1500 is extremely reasonable. Good luck with the sale.

Cheers Peter.

KP11520, archey and Skyjerk like this.
  5. mangus

mangus Senior Member

Wish I had enough to make you an honest offer for that second one. It would be something to pass on to the future generations.

6. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

Go ahead and post in the classifieds, keep those headstock pics out of your ads, you should be fine.

KP11520, jkes01 and archey like this.
  7. archey

archey Senior Member

Wow! I would love to own either one of those beauties!

8. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Mods to the rescue. :applause:

DarrellV likes this.
  9. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

Thanks Victor!

VictorB likes this.
  10. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

very well then, chris. carry on....and keep us posted.

11. AllTheSound

AllTheSound Premium Member

Those are both beautiful! Great work man.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  12. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

I wouldn't hesitate to offer either the LP or the singlecut for an initial asking price of between 3K and 4K. They look like they should be in that price range, at LEAST.

If not for my current financial condition (bad!) I'd make an offer on the singlecut. But I have stuff for sale on ebay right now just to cover my bills so I have zero budget for it.

DarrellV, KP11520 and smk506 like this.
  13. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

No worries. I havent been in a hurry to list them here on MLP because I know all you guys are are just like me. If you have even $10 to spend yer getting a piece of wood or a tool ;)

jkes01 likes this.
  14. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

Post’em Chris. There are certainly more players on the forum than luthiers. Maybe link to the build threads :thumb:

15. mangus

mangus Senior Member

So true(and sad)...

16. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

I've been watching this thread for a few days and I'm with him on this. I think you are a boutique maker and those guys have no problem charging extra for it. They are hand made crafted works of art, not cookie cutter assembly line clones.

You are thinking in the price range of the throw away mass produced culture we live in. Your stuff is an anachronism. And anyone looking for a one of a kind hand built beauty like yours gets free bragging rights to go along with it!

To somebody its worth it.

It also displays a measure of confidence in your product. You have something special so IMHO it shouldn't be priced like a run-of-the-mill piece.

GLWS!!