Not sure what to charge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Skyjerk, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

Hi guys,

With the completion of my latest build I'm considering selling a couple of my earlier builds.
    Life continues to present challenges and I'd much rather get some value from these guitars since I dont actually play them at all.

One is my very first build, the neck-through Les Paul style guitar...

[​IMG]

The other is one of my "22 Special" builds.

[​IMG]

Both guitars have various "warts" and I would not consider either to be brand new although neither one saw much real use.

Both guitars play great, and sound great, and are well build even though they are earlier builds. The "warts" I mention are all relating to the finishes. My skill with wood working definitely eclipsed my skill at finishing at the time (still does, actually).

That said, both are good looking, good playing, well built guitars with all my standard design features. ie: neck-through, carbon fiber, laminate necks, etc. Both have frankly awesome tops, MOP fretboard inlays, and high quality parts, etc

I just really have no idea what to charge for them. I was thinking around 1k dollars each. Does that sound ridiculous in either direction? (too high or too low)

Who and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  2. Draxond

Draxond Member

In my opinion, too low, but the market is a finicky beast. The name on the headstock is what sells, unfortunately. Your stuff probably plays better, sounds better, and is more durable than anything with a G or an F on it, but those names are what sell. If you were to sell it to someone you know, you might get $1500. Put it out there for anyone, that might drop as low as $750.

I, personally, wouldn't take a dime below $1000, but I would want $1500.

fumblefinger and DarrellV like this.
  3. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

1k would be a steal for either one of those.

I'd post on Craigslist for 2k. Don't down play your abilities by calling out the "warts" instead call it character for lovely played guitars. Someday, they'll be worth a fortune :thumb:

4. Fret Hopper

Fret Hopper Premium Member

What about Reverb or the classifieds on MLP?

Bemis and fumblefinger like this.
  5. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

wish i had a few bucks laying around. i'd love to own either---or both. talk about grounds for a divorce. with all the spanish cedar, ebony, and maple i have stashed around here, my wife would absolutely beat me to death with it. i wouldn't want you to feel guilty about my demise....not to mention the wasting of a perfectly fine axe

Skyjerk likes this.
  6. Skyjerk

Well I cant sell the LP-style guitar on MLP classifieds due to my guitars superficial resemblance to a G guitar, but I'll probably post the other one there...

7. Skyjerk

Any man that discounts the potential ire of their wife is a foolish man indeed :)

KnightroExpress likes this.
  8. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

yeh, even more foolish than acquiring one

9. Skyjerk

LOL. That makes me a 3 time fool :)

fatdaddypreacher likes this.
  10. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Please start higher than you're comfortable with. I'd hate to see you leave money on the table after the way you sweat every detail. You can always lower the price, but good luck trying to raise it.

A couple things that will help:

A quality demo video on YT of it/them covering parts of songs people know well and nailing them. Well known YT or Pro guitarist adds even more allure. People buy nice guitars to cover the songs they love. Neck through means no reset.... EVER! Gibson can't say that. And one of the many reasons I love my vintage BC Rich Eagle. Whether you acknowledge it or not Chris, you are an up and coming custom guitar builder and with your energy, you will make a mark. Time to build that momentum and run with it.

DON'T use CL. Nobody wants to pay what you're asking. Use whatever has the biggest audience for people that buy custom guitars and one of a kinds. Reverb might qualify. There are probably other good ones too. Don't get caught up in the price of the fees. If you sell if for more than you're comfortable with, you'll cover them easily. Price of doing business with high exposure.

Be Patient! You've sat on them this long... What's a few more months waiting for the right customer. They will come!

Warts? Those are nipples man, and who doesn't love nipples. That's why it's a she! :naughty:

Run Forrest, run! :dude:

DarrellV likes this.
  11. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

AND.... Of course you can sell that LP styled guitar here on MLP! If it said Gibson on it, that'd be a different story. You're not affiliated with Gibson in any way, so that would be fraud. You're Addict.

We know the owner of Addict Guitars. He's a fine upstanding guitar builder. Anybody would be lucky to have one of his custom creations! Custom and hand made. No CNC here! And that means your prices need to cover that!

Skyjerk likes this.
  12. Skyjerk

Appreciate the feedback :)

I listed the LP on reverb for $1500. I'll do the same with the 22 Special. We'll see if anyone bites :)

In point of fact the MLP classified rules state (paraphrasing) that you can't sell a guitar there that has a body or headstock shaped like a Les Paul unless it's actually a Gibson Les Paul

KP11520, Who and charisjapan like this.
  13. smk506

smk506 Senior Member

I thought it was that you couldn't post headstock pics? Loads of people buy and sell Tokai and even fancy luthier replicas on the classifieds.

Your guitars are beautiful, it may be tough getting your asking price, but they certainly look well worth it.

14. Skyjerk

The exact words are:

"Absolutely no guitars bearing the Gibson or Epiphone Les PaulĀ® body shapes or Dove Wing peg heads that are NOT manufactured by Gibson or Epiphone, are to be listed for sale. In other words, if the guitar is NOT a genuine Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul, then you cannot sell it or post images of it here."

Seems pretty clear. I like it at MLP so I prefer not to run afoul of the mods :)

Who likes this.
  15. Tweaker

Tweaker Senior Member

Man, I'd expect to see either of those guitars at the shops around my area for a few grand at least. Naturally there's markup involved, and I'd assume a standard 100% markup...so your $1500 figure is probably on the mark for the wholesale price to a shop. I also don't know what is involved in the purchasing of these high end guitars at music shops, so my assumptions may be way off.

(But...who wants to sell their own instruments at wholesale price??)

Either way. I don't expect you'll have a hard time finding a buyer at those prices. High quality parts, really good wood and construction...if I had the cash and the GAS, I'd be all over those.

KP11520 likes this.
  16. SoCal Flood

SoCal Flood Silver Supporter

These are both really great looking guitars. I especially like the second one, the top is mesmerizing. If I have the funds I'd gladly buy it from you! I hope you get what they're worth.

17. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

18. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

$1500 for that Lemon Top with all that good stuff in it? What a freakin steal. If I didn't have my MIJ LP Standard LQ, I'd be like stink on $hiT and all over it! I was really thinking somewhere between 2300 and 2800. Just like a used Custom Shop R-whatever priced to move fast. Hand made custom with all top wood choices and hardware. Ian Anderson gets $5K to start and I'd bet it's straight across the board the same quality. Except his Humbuckers are his and QUITE Nice. I have a set in my LP Above.

I think a Mod needs to answer if this can or cannot be sold here on MLP. But I am glad you have it on Reverb. It gets attention from all over the world.

Seriously, how many hours do you have into it? How much did all those top materials cost? I'd bet you clear more than $25 an hour on your day job. Just because you love doing this doesn't mean you shouldn't be compensated time and a half. No other benefits with this job (Guitar building) I'd guess you have at least 80 hours in this and maybe even more. Suddenly $3K doesn't sound so unreasonable.

Nash guitars are all CNC guitars. Hell, my Tele with a USACG Neck and Body (CNC) cost almost $2K for me to build with everything.

I hope this helps put your value in the proper perspective.

Resized_20170228_234626.jpeg Resized_20170228_214016.jpeg

19. Skyjerk

It's important to note that while the LP in particular is in great condition, it's not a brand new instrument. I built it 3 years ago, played it a lot, gigged it several times as well.

My thinking with regard to my asking price is based on it being a used guitar, and also I need it to sell as quickly as I can. :)

Being my first guitar ever, it has sentimental value even if I don't play it a lot. I'd prefer not to sell it at all :)

KP11520 likes this.
  20. KP11520

KP11520 Senior Member

Used or not, it's a freakin STEAL!

Best of luck and I hope whatever happens, no regrets follow! I understand the attachment with it being your first beauty! And that she is!