Not so Happy NGD

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by fullspectrum, Apr 30, 2012.

1. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

Hey people. Knowing that the Epiphone Les Paul Pro FX was not being made any I wanted to get myself a Vintage Sunburst Pro Fx. I had been watching it on Musicians Friend for months and I finally broke down and bought one.
    The shipping to Canada was fast and I watched my shipment with the UPS tracking. I couldn't wait.
    Well the box arrived today and I had seen other people here that had shipping damage. I held my breath. The Epiphone box was inside another shipping box and it was very loosely packaged. Basically it was inside this larger box and a small amount of shipping paper was sitting on top. There was nothing crumpled up and in the corners at all. They might as well shipped it in the Epiphone box.
    So after examining the outside box I saw it had been dropped on the end. I opened the box and examined the guitar. Sure enough the headstock had taken a hard hit. :( It went almost right thought the Epiphone box! Luckily there wasn't too much damage. The back of the headstock at the top is chipped. The rest of the guitar looks ok other than the neck looks bowed a little. I'm wondering if this is from the hit? I looked at the headstock and there are no cracks. There are no cracks in the finish where the neck meets the body.
    I called MF and they offered me $50 back if I can send them pics.

Do you guys think I should keep the guitar or is there hidden damage you think? Should I send it back? I suppose MF would pay shipping charges and customs to return from Canada.

2. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

Send it back for a replacement and let them flog the broken one to somebody else, unless you really need the $50... It's their fault for not packing it properly.

5 people like this.
  3. Slackerprince

Slackerprince Senior Member

Return for a new one.
    Period.

S

4. barricwiley

barricwiley Senior Member

Send iback - been there done that.

5. HRC

HRC Senior Member

Return it ASAP.

6. soloarchitect

soloarchitect Junior Member

50 bucks? Nah send it back, or show them pics and tell them 100 bucks if you think it is no big deal. But you sound like youre not sure, send it back!

7. wheelsdeal

wheelsdeal Senior Member

I would definitely send it back.

8. imazerk

imazerk Senior Member

return it

9. sasquatch

sasquatch Senior Member

Have it appraised to be fixed and then tell them what the cost of the repair would be . If they are willing to discount it that much then you have a deal. Otherwise I'd just let it go back and get another one.
    $50 sounds a little cheap to cover a repair.

10. Hairless_Ape

Hairless_Ape Doc Premium Member

I would definitely send it back. And when they send the new one I would request they send my Priority Mail or FedEx. UPS is notoriously brutal with packages that cross the border going north. All 3 times I've sent things to Canada via UPS (at the buyer's insistence) the contents were ruined. In at least 2 dozen shipments sent using the post office I've never had a problem.

Good luck with round 2. :thumb:

11. fenderplecre

fenderplecre Member

Send it back

12. gypsyseven

gypsyseven Senior Member

And one more : send it back!

13. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Make them replace it. This happens a lot. You'd think MF would get tired of dealing with returns due to shipping damage and do a better job of packing. The annual savings would be significant and maybe they could pass some of that off to we consumers in the way of more coupons.

1 person likes this.
  14. fullspectrum

fullspectrum Senior Member

Here's some pics of the damage. Its got a couple chips at the top of the headstock at the back. I adjusted the truss rod and the neck is flat now. Problem is because I live in Canada they may not pay all of the customs, tax and UPS fee which was $108 when the new guitar is sent back to me from them. They said they will pay shipping from me to them but asked me to fax them a copy of the UPS, customs and tax which was the $108. What a pain in the ass.
    Also, if you read MF return policy they say, "repack, double box to prevent damage, and insure" "you are responsible for merchandise until it safely reaches our warehouse". Double box to prevent damage?? Isn't that what they should have done for me? I'm afraid to send it back and it either gets lost or damaged more. Plus this is probably going to cost me more somehow to get another one shipped back to me. What a pain in the ass. The sad thing is it WAS pretty much perfect. I see no manufacturing defects or flaws. It sounds awesome! And this one is made in Indonesia not China. The quality looks slightly better than the Chinese Pro fx's. Damn it!!!! :mad2:
    Here's the pics. Gonna just send it back I guess.:(

Attached Files:

15. BlackDog81

BlackDog81 Senior Member

Hey guess what? Send it back.

16. wwit

wwit Senior Member

By the looks of the packing foam, it rode with all the weight of the guitar on the headstock for quite a long ways. That wasnt just from 1 hit.

Send it back.

1 person likes this.
  17. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Senior Member

Definitely send it back. You paid for a new guitar, not one with a chipped headstock.

18. voodo child

voodo child Senior Member

Send it back

19. MrGansburg

MrGansburg Senior Member

Think you've got the general idea of which way the wind is blowing on this one OP...

20. old mark

old mark Senior Member

I had a similar experience with high return shipping costs on a new Apple iMac...cost almost $100 to send it to Oregon to the seller....but I got over a grand back on the refund.

It's really up to you, and I don't know what you paid for the guitar, but...my vote?

send it back.

I won't buy guitars from MF, just strings and shit that won't break in transit...they are OK with stuff like that. FWIW, my experience buying used guitars from GC is somewhat better...they did pack the guitar well, it was just not as good as described...(I kept that one-I'll never find another, and I can fix the problems.)

mark