Not for me: 1963 Gibson SG on eBay

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by danishbacon, Jul 15, 2016.

1. danishbacon

danishbacon Member

Check this out - missing some vibrato parts it seems, otherwise looks to be all original?

Gibson Les Paul sg electric guitar | eBay

2. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

Yes, it is missing the trem arm. On these guitars, the lower part of the trem arm is made of pot metal, that is prone to breaking off. Mine did, and I was lucky enough to find a partial trem unit in ebay for $250 that had a good lower trem arm for a replacement. These trem units and parts are getting more expensive with time.

Other than the missing trem arm, this might not be a bad buy for somebody. Other examples of this guitar that are complete are going for $10K to $15K USD in very good to excellent condition. Players seldom use the trem unit because it never returns to tune. So this guitar might be a good player.

3. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

I have been thinking about this one for a while, I really want to get me a nice vintage SG standard but don't have the sort of money at the moment that some clean examples can command.
    I have spoken to the seller of this guitar and he is willing to sell for a price more in my range, very tempting for sure.

Just one question for the SG profs out there concerning the neck joint, it looks to me to have had some overspray on the joint as it is a darker colour, possibly covering a repair. I have looked at quite a few pics online and see other examples of a darker area around the joint, is this something they did from factory or indicative of a repair?

4. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

99.9% chance it's a heel repair and I'd want a bunch more pics -- the seller is (or is playing) guitar-dumb, so pics are going to have to do the talking here. From the closeup of the front, I see what looks like a crack running through the treble cutaway, pointing towards the pickguard screw and, on the bass side, there could be something around the area of the pickup ring screw, but pics aren't good enough to tell. That definitely looks like a dark cherry overspray of the heel though, which, IMO is much less preferable than an untouched, but well-repaired heel crack/neck reset. And sometimes, a finish that dark is hiding something beyond simple re-glued cracks, like a doweled joint, old patched screwholes, wood filler putty, etc. Also appears you'll need a new saddle+screw for the 1st string.

Here's the pic in question:
    [​IMG]

5. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

Yeh looking at it really closely there does seem to be lines on either side, maybe suffered a complete break at the heel after a impact of some sort. If it's done ok it wouldn't put me off too much as it's going to be a player. If I can shave any off the price of £4k it will be a bonus, dependant on all other parts being correct.

6. David Mccarroll

David Mccarroll Senior Member

Notice the seller seems to completely skip over that the heel is very obviously sprayed over to conceal a repair of some kind.

It'd not necessarily the end of the world, and lots of them break here, but buyer beware, that is a repaired broken guitar.

7. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

I have asked for more pics, wouldn't pay anything like the asking price for this but maybe able to get a deal, got my eye on another which has no breaks but has lost most of its original parts, a player is all I can afford so it's the lesser of 2 evils to choose, a repair with original parts or unbroken with aftermarket parts.

8. trumpetvest

trumpetvest Member

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172299230908

Some more pics been posted. Suprised to see a PAF on a 63, looks ok to me, can anyone chime in? Is it real? The neck pup is a patent sticker but with cross head screws? Still tempted in this a feel there is a deal to be done.

9. Blacksheep

Blacksheep Member

There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions re this guitar.

It could be a 63 with a sideways trem. It could be a 63 with "Les Paul" marque.
    It could potentially even be a 63 that really did leave the factory with one of the last PAFs AND one of the early Patent Numbers.

But all those anomalies coupled with the seller's seeming ignorance would ring alarm bells for me. Although I see he/she had put the bridge pickup in the wrong way round, so perhaps the ignorance is genuine.

I'd want:
    a) a chat with the owner to find out where he got the guitar.
    b) gut shots
    c) a good look in person at that neck joint

10. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

Seller seems to keep listing this one... 3rd time lucky hey.

Look at the current add and check out the Gibson logo and more importantly the truss rod cover nut side screw - its half missing under the nut - only seen mistakes like that.... well...never!

But I'm sure its legit :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=172305857980