NOS ES345 64ri - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by yeatzee, Oct 5, 2017.

1. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

unfortunately no, my 330 has nylon saddles as well and I traded my 339 with a metal abr for the 330. My 137 has a Nashville.

[​IMG]

about all I can see

2. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

I wd return it! This is a bad model - wrinig ?
    my ES345 RI is mono and sounds very open and clear shiny,
    bypassing the variotone.

3. afjungemann

afjungemann Senior Member

I agree, wiring is easy to fix. From my experience, yes the nylon saddles make a big difference. The 330 having p90’s will also be brighter because of the single coils.

If it was me, I would get my soldering iron out and get to work. That guitar is gorgeous and way to sexy to let go.

4. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

My 335 has nylon saddles and sounds brighter with MHS buckers than my 330 with steel saddles and P90's. I doubt that nylon saddles are the problem here.

Kris Ford likes this.
  5. wmachine

wmachine Senior Member

Just from an overview standpoint, it doesn't make sense that it would be the nylon saddles. I mean that from the perspective that the nylon was intentionally used in what are accepted to be superior reissues that have pretty consistent rave reviews. If that *was* the problem, it would have already come to light long ago. (Much like the brass nut in the 2015 Gibson USAs).

6. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

Alright I worked on the guitar last night and played with the pickups a bunch raising the treble side pole pieces a lot and lowering the bass side and also tilting the pickups similarly. Here's the comparison:

https://soundcloud.com/user-501816189/tone-comparison-es345

It goes:
    SG Neck humbucker
    345 Neck humbucker
    330 Neck P90

330 Bridge P90
    SG Bridge P90
    Suhr Strat Bridge Humbucker
    345 Bridge Humbucker

It sounds better than it did, but it is still clearly very muffled sounding in comparison to my other guitars. Its like there's no presence or treble and high strings just disappear behind the mud of the low strings. Am I crazy?

Not sure I understand. Did you have yours bypass the varitone completely, or are you just saying in position 1 it is a clear sounding guitar? I've reached out to a lot of owners trying to get some input and just about everyone with a 345 has said theirs is a darker guitar.

I don't know how I could possibly tell its the wiring without having another to compare side by side though. Nor would I know what to do.

See this confuses me because I found a guy on TGP with the same 330 and he's got a 64ri 345 as well and he said the clip comparison I posted seemed pretty accurate to him, his 330 is definitely a lot brighter.

Maybe, or maybe people don't have things to compare it to or expect it to sound this way? I'm not sure, I don't understand either.

7. afjungemann

That kind of surprises me just because the nylon saddles I have tried seemed to make guitars mellower by smoothing out the high end but you would definitely have more experience in it than me.

To me, the mellower tone of the semi hollows is kind of what people are seeking so maybe it isn't an "issue" but more of a characteristic? Not sure I guess.

Listening to your last clips, if you didn't eq it any different between guitars, i thought they sounded about right but I am sure you are hearing different things in person. The P90's would tend to be brighter in nature and strat style guitars are also typically brighter even with a hum bucker.

I wasn't a big fan of the MHS pickups when I played them before but I have never played them through my rig so hard to say what my ear would really think of them.

Pop1655 likes this.
  8. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

Thanks for the response. Perhaps you are 100% right, the reissue semi-hollows are very mellow tonally in comparison to Gibson's other guitars on purpose and they are all like that. The only straight comparisons I can make are that my ES339 was not a mellow guitar it was very bright and clear and my ES137 is also not a mellow guitar it is very Les Paul ish. My 330 is also not mellow, despite the nylon saddles, but it obviously has P90's which is different.

For the clip nothing was changed, I just swapped guitars back to back. The main thing is the muddy low end I guess, the treble strings disappear to my ears and its all low/low mids coming from the 345. Theoretically switching to brass saddles should help with that and even more so a pickup upgrade to something more clear should transform the guitar right? I've never done a pickup swap so I'm not sure how much is the guitar inherently.

Pop1655 likes this.
  9. afjungemann

I was going to suggest a pickup change as well. I don’t know the eq curve of the MHS pickups but I would find something with more pronounced mods and highs if that’s more of what you want.

I have swapped pickups quite a bit and it makes a huge difference to my ear. I have found that I really prefer alnico v magnets so burst bucket pros are the Gibson pickups I favor.

Switching to brass saddles would make a difference as well.

10. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm scared to say it, but I kinda like it. I am though admittedly one of those mellow semi types.

I wish you'd list your exact settings. I'd like to run mine through the Helix and see how mine compare on the same setting.

Did you ever try the Pull Me Clean?

11. bum

bum Senior Member

18767230_1861664327486181_278666094_o.jpg That case is correct, here is mine
    Mine also has MHS pickups and nylon saddles and it sounds clear, bright and bold, I can test i whatever you like if it helps as it seems like our guitars are really similar even though mine is a 335, so the wiring will be different
    18767210_1861664447486169_2066020884_o.jpg

SingeMonkey likes this.
  12. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

What guitars do you have to compare it to? Anything similar to what's in my audio clips? Do you own a Helix? It's just hard for me to understand those adjectives if the modern varitone isn't supposed to subtract much. Lovely looking guitar, I would have got one of those if they were available at the time.

13. bum

bum Senior Member

I've got a Les Paul, it sounds as I would expect next to that, more open and airy but not a million miles away from it tonally.
    Here is a tune and all the guitars on it are the 335 through a Vox
    https://instaud.io/1kfq

I posted this one because apart from reverb the signal is dry, neck pickup throughout

Thanks for the compliment on the guitar, I do love it and thee figuring is insane!

14. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

15. bum

bum Senior Member

16. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Premium Member

The Wildwood ones have pups wound to their specs, definitely not Burstbuckers. That’s where I got mine.

17. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

1. It's not unusual for Gibson to use cases from more or less random manufacturers. It's happened for a number of reasons, including failure of gibson to pay its bill at a vendor. Also worth noting that "Made In The USA" doesn't extend to cases or to the materials that they use on the guitars.

2. I have a couple of Varitone guitars; I'll take a look later. But I'd have the wiring of those pickups looked at. "NOS" means different things to different people, including, "I dunno; this guitar was here when I started working here..."

18. yeatzee

yeatzee Senior Member

I've got a callaham bridge and tail piece on its way to see if that changes the sound to what I'm looking for. The case is correct apparently, and the guitar is NOS meaning it came from Gibson to CME who shipped it directly to me. It's not perfect cosmetically so maybe that's why.

19. bum

bum Senior Member

The case is legit, mine came with them as did a all the VoS reissues, it's a really beautiful case but I got a Gator case to gig with, they are too nice to ding :D