Norlin pricing question

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by csplayer089, Nov 9, 2017.

1. csplayer089

csplayer089 Senior Member

My local GC has a 1977 left-handed Les Paul Custom listed for sale at $3,499. What is the typical price of a Norlin custom nowadays? The guitar in question appears to be a clownburst of some sorts. I'm going to go check it out in person. $3,499 seems crazy high to me....am I wrong? I suppose it comes down to the condition, finish, etc. Thoughts?

Honestly I'm thinking like $2500 tops for this guitar. But what do I know.

2. DarrellV

DarrellV Derl Ver.... ERMAHGERD!.........It's a Nerlin! Silver Supporter Premium Member

From what I've seen in here I would venture to say that is a bit on the high end of the price scale.

But it is left handed, making it a bit more rare, and a Custom.

It better be dang near perfect for that much, though, IMHO.

Standards seem to be going closer to the $2500 mark. Right handed at that.

I guess it depends on how bad you want it, how good you can negotiate, and how much you are willing to spend.

Norlin fever seems to be spreading lately.... We need to keep it down in here a bit more...:D

Thumpalumpacus and mudface like this.
  3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

A nice all original, "player grade" Custom seems to be in the $2,300-$2,600 range and near perfect should be around $3,000. Add a 15% premium for the rarity of being a lefty and you're right near the asking price, at $3,450! If a little worn, in player grade condition, I'd see if they'll even nibble at a $2,700 offer. It can't hurt to ask and they may counter with a price somewhere in the middle. Customs do bring a bit more than standards.
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

DarrellV and mudface like this.
  4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW Member

Highest I've seen is around $5,000. They shouldn't go past that but they are around $2,500 to maybe $3,500 at most as far as I know.

5. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

asking price is not selling price....not even close.

If you find someone that will pay $2500 for a late 70's Standard, please send them my way.

Late 70's Custom in good shape $2300-$2850 depending on originality, color etc. etc.
    If you are patient and have cash on hand, you can buy them at $$1800-$2250

so your $2500 is in the market, and there are Left handed ones out there so don't fret :D

6. HardCore Troubadour

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  7. mudface

mudface Senior Member

I could be wrong but the prices of Norlin's are going to bloom, I just recently purchased a '77 custom for $2700, they(GC) were asking $3199. I didn't want to pay the $2700 but it was a tone monster and only weighed in at 8.5 lbs, so i dipped into my "cupcake" money and grabbed it. It wasn't mint , but it was in good all original condition.:D

Kris Ford and 69 Goldtop like this.
  8. HardCore Troubadour

They are the highest now they have been in awhile and when they started to rise a little bit a couple of years ago, people got stupid/greedy and started doubling their asking price thinking they were going to really make a lick....

they were wrong, people have slowed their buying and you are about to see (already seeing) those asking prices go back down.

The selling prices are within $200 or so of where they were 10 years ago.

$2700 for a 77 Custom is at/near the top of the market and as much as I love Norlins, you will be an old man before that "blooms" IMO.

If you do not believe me, I have a 1979 Silverburst-100% stock and super condition I will sell you for $4200.00 :D pus shipping.

Thumpalumpacus, mudface and DarrellV like this.
  9. mudface

mudface Senior Member

$4200:hmm:.....I'm a buyer not a seller....I do NOT want the prices to escalate....when i mention that prices may bloom it was out of FEAR my friend. I would prefer people to dislike Norlin's........at $4200 I might take up that opinion :D......till then I keep a look out for a good deal.

10. HardCore Troubadour

lol.....don't panic and keep some cash on hand, they are out there.

Happy Norlin Hunting!

Kris Ford and mudface like this.
  11. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Right.... the crappy ones are cheaper. LOL there are some Norlin gems that are just great guitars all around. If you`ve not played one ,you don`t know what I`m talking about. Norlins suck ,I mean they are great!!![​IMG]

Kris Ford, DarrellV and mudface like this.
  12. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Leftys are quite rare....and despite the market being smaller it seems like most sellers are of the mind that 'you cannot just go around the corner and find something similar, so I will keep prices high'. And with the way the international market is moving this is probably true.
    RH prices don't relate, unfortunately. And the market movements based on the buyers/seller of RH guitars (which move all over the place) seem not to affect the LH market except to prod it further upward if it seems like there is not enough of a premium.
    So back a few years when the prices of the typical Deluxe dipped into the $1200 range, LH ones were still in the $1900-2300 range. I looked high and low for a late 70's custom and they were mostly $3000-3500. The lowest price I ever came across who was likely to ship overseas was $2799 for a player grade 78 Custom......which I bought (and found was actually a 75 with the older 70-74 construction spec).

13. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

14. Becker34

Becker34 Member

mudface and 69 Goldtop like this.
  15. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Yeah, all those pics and none of the guitar opened up.

16. mudface

mudface Senior Member

17. 69 Goldtop

69 Goldtop Senior Member

Me too!! Bout ready to cash out.

mudface likes this.
  18. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Yep -- prices (not worth) are going up and the days of under $2K Norlins may be over. They've gone from underpriced and undervalued, to increasingly overpriced. No one is sure if they will hold value, or if they're getting the prices they get because older players with means want to buy the guitars their heroes played. I think the market's dissatisfaction with some of Gibson's stunts (= the 2015 nonsense, etc.) has also led to a re-valuing of the decent quasi-vintage models. I hardly ever see a decent Deluxe listed for under $2.5K ad the price asked for this lefty is now maintstream. I wouldn't buy it myself, of course, but apparently somebody will pay the overcharge, because they move at those prices.

19. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

I think it's a bubble.