Norlin Hatred

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Lucidsounds, Sep 19, 2015.

1. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Ha! I just figured it out! He has a silverburst avatar....like you, but different. No you in his..

bgh likes this.
  2. LoudA4

LoudA4 Junior Member

My Norlins for hating.I try to keep them separated from the good guitars.
    norlins.jpeg

ht-57, Becker34, Frampton129 and 4 others like this.
  3. moreles

moreles Senior Member

I get a kick out of this longstanding thread, and have learned a lot reading through it time and again. In my opinion, the "Norlin Hatred" is really abating. With the passage of time, Norlins are no longer just "used," but increasingly seen as desirable alternatives to Gibson's occasional nonsense (like the 2015s) and lapses in quality control. Also, as people increasingly seem to like relic'd guitars, having a much-played, worn Norlin is a plus. (After all, terrible guitars don't get played and don't get worn!) While it will always be true that some decisions made in the Norlin years were less than constructive, and some of those models were just nutty, as far as LPs are concerned, the fuss seems to have abated, replaced by a more positive and realistic view of these guitars.

mudface, DarrellV and LoudA4 like this.
  4. Frampton129

Frampton129 Premium Member

Damn, that a nice collection there! How about giving us the details on each of the guitars?

5. LoudA4

LoudA4 Junior Member

the custom is a 1977,electronics are original but some of the hardware was changed like the knobs and pickup rings and the bigsby.the deluxe is from the early 70s,70-72.not exactly sure.its been awhile since i looked at the pots.electronics are original but the bridge and tailpiece was replaced with chinese stuff before i got it.sounds good though. the sg is a 74,the cherry finish has faded to brown and the bridge was changed for a gold one who knows when.they all have their little quirks but I think thats what makes them fun.

Frampton129 and DarrellV like this.
  6. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! Silver Supporter Premium Member

And it doesn't seemed to have stopped either!

There is a topic out in the Les Paul section right now bemoaning the new 2018 models for senseless and undesirable changes being made to our beloved Lester.

If there is a constant throughout Gibson's history it is that they have always tried to be innovative, and have almost always missed the mark according to the buyers... This continues to today!

So why single out the Norlin period as somehow being more sucky than any other when all you have to do is visit your local music store to see how much Gibson has learned and how much they have improved since then....:rofl:

LoudA4, Becker34 and mudface like this.
  7. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

is this really still a thing? there are duds in every year. my Norlin kicks ass. if people are so narrow-sighted as to miss out on a great guitar, that's their fault. i do feel like it has calmed down in recent years, and the values of them have started to come up.

LoudA4, mudface and DarrellV like this.
  8. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

As long as there are "Cork Sniffers", unfortunately, I think it'll always be a "thing". As I've typed before, back then, a Les Paul was a Les Paul regardless of whether it was made in the '50s, '60s, or in the '70s. The same went for Fenders. None of the players, including the GIANTS thought about them in those terms and you could buy either one for about the same price.

LoudA4 and mudface like this.