Norlin Hatred

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Lucidsounds, Sep 19, 2015.

1. gball

gball Senior Member

I can only speak from personal experience, but I find this statement true only for Fenders. Gibsons from the Norlin era seem to be pretty great to me, across the board. IME the turds are no more common than they are today. The Fenders from the same time period are just wretched.

bgh, Progrocker111 and DarrellV like this.
  2. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Premium Member

I'm not disagreeing with you, mate, you said in your experience. :thumb:

But there were at least a couple examples that come to mind and Fender has even re-issued them because of their popularity.

Being a bass player, I would still not refuse one of these if one came my way... 70's Jazz Bass.:wow:
    [​IMG]

And there are a couple members on here who's opinion I respect very much as knowing more about these things than I ever will, and they each bought 70's Strats to add to their already impressive collections. :dunno:
    @Kris Ford and @Crotch .

So you can see my conundrum. I agree with what you say and respect that, but then there are these other guys....:D

[​IMG]

gball likes this.
  3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I think that might be a MIJ with that tri shaped TRC..(and added Fender decal..)

DarrellV likes this.
  4. gball

gball Senior Member

As with everything, YMMV. The couple of '70's Fenders that I have owned over the years were pretty bad from a quality standpoint, but in their defense they actually sounded pretty good at the same time, so... what do I know? All the Norlin Gibsons I have owned have been spectacular and I want more.

DarrellV likes this.
  5. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Not all, 70-74 Strats were often great, many still light and resonant from alder with practically the same pickups as late 60s ones. I prefer them over most Custom Shop reissues.

6. DarrellV

Could be, I just image searched for a natural wood one real quick.

7. bgh

bgh Senior Member

Mine was born in the late 70s. I ordered it custom from Gibson - through LaSalle's Music in West Hartford, CT. Really nice place back then. I don't think it's around any more. That guitar was my part of my duo for years. It teamed up with my mid-70s SG (another Norlin victim?). Both have been played and gigged and have been through the wringer - and sound excellent.

Granted, since I am a lefty I have not had the same opportunities right-handed players have had to play a lot of LPs and SGs and such. I have played a few - and each time am very glad I have the one I have.

I like the way you said "more the exception than the rule". They do exist.

For example (switching horses just for a second) one of my amps is a Mesa Nomad. From what I can tell, most people despise the Nomad, and have a litany of reasons as to why they do (bad pots, bee-hive overdrive, ...). When I made a comment once about how mine must have been made on a "good day" (this was on a different forum) some people got angry and began protesting how stupid I was and how there was no way I knew anything at all about music - all given I told them I liked the Nomad I got my hands on.

But, like you said, the exception to the rule. (For context, I tried other Nomads and saw some of the same issues others posted about. I tried the one I eventually bought and saw none of those issues).

Sorry to sidetrack there for a moment, but I was trying to show how my experiences of "exceptions to the rule" paralleled yours.

PS: My oldest son is right-handed. He likes my guitars so much he learned to play left-handed. He has told me several times he wants to "inherit" them when I quit playing.:cheers:

8. DarrellV

Yesir! That's it exactly! I've noticed that others in here have pointed out a dislike for blanket statements based on only their own experience.

Very few things in life are 100% and exceptions are more the rule than the exception....:confused:

That's why I was trying to gently cajole you back away from the all Fenders angle just a bit...:D

I have a book on electric guitar history written by some so called experts in the field and that is how they summed up the Fender 70's after CBS and the 3 bolt neck etc. came about.

The Nomad is a perfect example. Mesa may have gotten a bad batch of the one component that showed up in the other examples, but the day yours was built the guy grabbed an older one out of the bin to put in yours.

Then there are other things that some find funny about Norlin era Gibsons, that they embrace as innovative on other makers guitars! :dunno:

Laminated necks are known to be structurally superior to single piece, except on a 70'Gibson.

Laminated bodies to help prevent cupping and cracking, except on a 70'Gibson.

People bitch3d about the crappy weak headstock, they added a volute to strengthen the neck, people bitch3d about the volute!

Funny too, how Gibson pickups were such crap back then that most new owners ripped them out and put in Seymore's or Dimarzio's.

Now those T-tops and Shaws are sought after as tone monsters for the sound they offer players of certain types of music.....

Did time somehow morph the molecular fields of these pickups and age them into something new and stellar, or is it more of giving them a fair listen without the stigma and prejudice that surrounded them when they were introduced?

Progrocker111 and Thumpalumpacus like this.
  9. bgh

bgh Senior Member

For what it's worth, I did replace the stock pickups with Dimarzios. I liked the way they sounded, plus I liked what they did when I wired them to switch in and out of phase.

Plus, you may have confused me with someone else. I don't remember commenting on Fender. I have only 2 Fender guitars, an old F-65 acoustic brought back from NAMM for me by one of the LaSalle owners, and a 2006 Highway 1 Strat. Neither is "top of the line", but I like them

Thumpalumpacus and DarrellV like this.
  10. DarrellV

D'oh! :doh:

Man! I've GOT to go get another cup of coffee! I'm sorry @bgh it appears you are correct!

gball bgh Ack! They get mixed up in my rusty brain!:facepalm:

Carry on...:jam:

gball and bgh like this.
  11. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Most people didn't know whjo Norlin even was..even with the name on the adverts..(which BTW..you stop seeing after early 80's somewhat.)
    Case in Point:
    [​IMG]

NOWHERE does it say Norlin...and again, I say that people that WORKED AT GIBSON didn't even know, except it was who did their benefits and retirement...

So people knowing then that "Norlin=sub-par" is quite a stretch to me..:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cmh6122, gball, mudface and 1 other person like this.
  12. DarrellV

Yup! Me too... That's why I said Gibson in my examples...

Like your sig....

How many products do we buy everyday that the brand is owned by someone else? :hmm:

Read the back of your food boxes, for example.....:D

Doesn't stop anybody from liking the way it tastes and buying it again.....:dunno:

13. ehb

ehb Chief Discombobulator Gold Supporter Premium Member

I need to borrow a time machine to send myself a note way back to my much younger years...

Note to self: "Hey idiot. Buy every pickup you swap out for customers, especially Ibanez humbuckers and Gibson anything... Just put em in a box..."

Thumpalumpacus, DarrellV and mudface like this.
  14. ehb

As I've said before, when that company became a Norlin company, it ain't like the folks overnight got hit with a ray gun and forgot everything they knew about building guitars...

Norlin was more of a bean counter company in my opinion, and not concerned with the actual widgets produced by divisions and had absolutely nothing to do with the pancake bodies and lami maple necks... Two things that drive the Corkerazis to go into convulsions, gnashing of teeth, bouts of self flagellation, and spontaneous projectile barfing....

Norlin Top Men probably knew nothing about it... Soooo, that would leave the folks that had been there all along.....themselves responsible for the eeeeeeeevil pancakes and eeeeeeeevil lami necks....

Musta been mass alien babductions at Gibson what done it.... Yep. Babductions with probing and mind wash...

Bastid aliens...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  15. DarrellV

They are behind most fiendish plots after all, aren't they?

If they ever open up area 51 all will be made clear...

ehb likes this.
  16. ehb

Area 51 ain't nuttin... You should see Area 51.01.

Nawt. Will say no more... Don't even think of asking me about it...

X-Files didn't just go off the air for nothing with all them folks watching it every week.... Nawt.

The found out. Bamm. Pull the anchor and stow the gear. Outa the pool. Hit the road. See ya. Gone.

I'll tell you what.

Thumpalumpacus and DarrellV like this.
  17. DarrellV

:Ohno:

18. DarrellV

Norlin era New Employee Orientation Day!

[​IMG]

Midnight Blues, ehb and bgh like this.
  19. bgh

bgh Senior Member

Lol!

20. bgh

bgh Senior Member

No problem. That's why I wear a name tag at home. :applause:I need a micrometer to measure my attention span.

DarrellV likes this.