Norlin Hatred

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Lucidsounds, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Update: Thanks to a forum bro, a walnut slab in the form of a The Paul prototype has joined my Sgs and L6-Ss.. Trifecta!!

IMG_6454.jpg IMG_2625.jpg
    IMG_2630.jpg

2. Stinky Kitty

Finally found the full length goodness pics:

IMG_9451.jpg IMG_4415.jpg

Enjoy!

3. gball

gball Senior Member

Love it. Have wanted a "The Paul" for a long time, just never have come across the right one at the right time.

4. Stinky Kitty

When this one showed up, I could not let it slip by. Hope yours comes along soon :)

5. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

hey there stinkums.....long time, no type....how are you?

I like that coffee table burst....can I get a good shot of the prototype stamp...I have seen a few but do not think I have seen that one.....

take care,

HCT

Stinky Kitty likes this.
  6. Razzle

Razzle Senior Member

I thought it was a 74 but I eventually concluded it was actually an early 75, thread HERE, even though it still had a mahogany neck.

7. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Just another example of the types of things that fuel our Norlin 'hatred', LOL! :laugh2:

Has Gibson ever been consistent with anything down through time and even across models? :squint:

Still a beautiful example, regardless...:thumb:

8. Stinky Kitty

Heya HCT, great hearing from you!! Been fielding life's curveballs lately, but still jammin and droolin. That stack of music books has been serving well.. the new gf can find lotsa faves for us to jam on. She is just now starting to revive her keyboard talents, so thank you!!

Here's a clearer pic of that stamp.

20170718_213243[1].jpg

The beauty is loaded now with ECP low winds. The original electronics were long gone. Prototypes were stripped and had their headstocks broken when they were decommissioned. Whoever broke this one did it in the best possible way to repair - along the length of the head. It's rock solid and quite a tone monster. The undyed ebony fingerboard is a joy to play on too! If you'd like more pics, just lemme know!

The grain match up on the coffee table burst indicates that someone gave some serious thought to giving a nice piece of wood a beautiful use.

:cheers2:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    cmh6122 and gball like this.
  9. gball

gball Senior Member

I just read through this entire thread start to finish, and this, I feel, sums it up pretty perfectly. I've owned and played guitars from every Gibson (electric) era and of course been a music listener my whole life. I have come to the conclusion that the Norlin-era Les Pauls are the best-sounding (and in many cases best playing) guitars that Gibson has ever built for the music I listen to and play. I don't give two rats a#@es what it took to make them, they have stood the test of time and nothing beats them to me.

I simply don't accept that that evolution of guitar tone ended in 1960, and while that may be your thing please don't make the cork sniffing assertion that these (Norlin) guitars are somehow inferior.

10. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

[​IMG]

pnuggett likes this.
  11. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Why are people posting pictures of fine guitars, and complimentary, appreciative comments on this thread? I come here to read about "Norlin Hatred" but encounter all this positivity instead. While I have encountered some terrible guitars from the Norlin period -- some opaque cherrybursted lacquered to death Deluxes come to mind -- I've also played (many times, never with enough $$$ to buy) L5Ss with multipiece maple necks (sin!) and multipiece tops (sin!) that I would just love, love to own but never will. Truth be told, Gibsons were inconsistent before, during, and after the Norlin period. And Fender has had plenty of issues, and Martin as well. I think every corporation probably has. But there's a reason why you don't see many mint, untouched Norlins around and it's because they were lusted after at the time, and played and played and played because they were liked. I just don't think the best/worst argument makes any sense. And that walnut prototype is sweet.

DarrellV likes this.
  12. Burny FLG

Burny FLG Member

Slightly OT.
    Have recently purchased a Norlin era copy (1975 Burny FLG 80) and have been reading this thread with interest as some of this info relates to my guitar.
    Don't know exactly how many pieces of wood are in my pancake body but about 8 and a 3 piece cap. It's not particularly loud unplugged but has a nice tone and amplified sounds great after some modifications - 500k pots, new pick ups and bridge.

Norlin and CBS era guitars and silverface amps are what I grew up with so for me are the only ones I'm interested in but prices in Australia are prohibitive and could've purchased a nearly new Gibson but I have no interest in new so I purchased the next best thing - a 70s Norlin copy.

I come from an acoustic background and the general information was a solid top back and sides body was more resonant than laminate (though the laminate was better for recording being more predictable). Tighter grain yielded a punchier sound as opposed to wide grain which allowed the sound to come out sooner.
    How this relates to an electric guitar I don't know but interested in the math.

Are there any conclusions about whether the pancake bodies are more resonant than the later bodies?

13. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Corksniffers territory ;)

These are electric guitars, and the construction of the body makes a very minor difference to the guitars sound, if any at all. Very much unlike acoustics, btw :)

You'll find plenty of people claiming that laminates "dampen resonance" or whatever other pseudoscientific terms they can come up with, but the reality is that each electric must be judged by its sound, not its construction.

Have the same guy set up 10 LP's to the same specs (with the same pickups in them of course), and make half of them pancakes and the other half one piece mahogany backs and see whether you can pick out the different construction methods from sound clips alone ;)

Midnight Blues likes this.
  14. THDNUT

THDNUT Senior Member

Pancakes are more resonant than waffles. :thumb:

DarrellV, Midnight Blues and Donal like this.
  15. boola1

boola1 Member

In order for you to be sure of what you say, you must have carried out that experiment!

I wouldn't be surprised to hear a general trend , whether it being the pancakes are brighter, less/more sustain etc.

I am no cork-sniffer. I am completely open to the possibility that glued wood enhances tone to my ears! I've never played a pancake but I would love to try.

DarrellV likes this.
  16. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Ah, but crepes... Now you're talking resonance!

DarrellV likes this.
  17. gball

gball Senior Member

But the best ones are made with Honduran eggs, which are getting oh so hard to find these days.

Midnight Blues likes this.
  18. Midnight Blues

Ain't that the truth!

19. grumphh

grumphh Senior Member

Occams razor: Always go for the simplest possible solution to a given problem.

The simple truth is that guitar players back then were just as dumb as they are now, so when they heard their bandmates complain about bright Norlins they completely forgot about the very different pickups (minihums - an acquired taste that do not sound like proper humbuckers) that way to many LP's had in the 70's.

And thus the legend of the bright "nonresonant" Pancake LP was born.
    When all it really was about were pickups that didn't give you the sound that the early rock legends made famous.

Slap a set of proper humbuckers in one and there is no way you can hear a difference between pancake and one piece backs.
    Setup, fretwork and pickups make up a disproportionately large part of the sound of an electric guitar - as for the rest, it is sheer guesswork what makes some guitars sound better than others...

20. Midnight Blues

Don't forget the amp and the settings on the amp too. That can make a significant difference as well.

Stinky Kitty likes this.