Norlin Hatred

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Lucidsounds, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Lucidsounds

Lucidsounds Senior Member

2 people like this.
  2. Mindfrigg

Mindfrigg Senior Member

It's a crime how Norlin instruments prevented the creation of any good music. We all know how much better music is now.

Who, RayTorvalds, 74Evan and 12 others like this.
  3. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

What the seller says is more or less right,
    Lets be honest, the Norlin period was not Gibsons finest hour, the bean counters got a grip and as far as wood was concerned the were buying in any old crap they could lay there hands on. Kudos for the guys at Gibson they still could make good guitars, some anyway

3 people like this.
  4. JM2112

JM2112 Senior Member

Yeah, groups like Led-Zep, Kiss, Rush, Aerosmith, and so many others sounded terrible with those Norlins. The guy is just trying to pump up the perception of what he's trying to sell for those who don't know any better. You can find good and bad prior to Norlin, during Norlin, and after Norlin.

Norlins took and still take a lot of crap from some for the same reason torrefied maple fret boards took crap in 2011/12, it was only new and different, but it was not inferior in any way. The best LP I've ever owned and played is my 77 LPC.

Quote from the listing: "...this doesn't have a dodgy three piece neck [that often shifted]... "

ROTFLMAO!!!! Maple is a very dense strong wood, and the glue joints even stronger than any single piece of wood! Got to wonder why Gibson still uses the three piece maple neck on the EDS-1275 with 12 strings. Go figure....

The number one cause of wood shifting, regardless of the species, is likely to due to improper drying or the wood not being dry enough during manufacturing.

9 people like this.
  5. Frampton129

Frampton129 Premium Member

Let's keep the Norlin hatred going, guys. The more people hate them, the lower the prices go. Lower prices mean I can add another one to go along with my '76 Custom.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  6. LPPILOT

LPPILOT Senior Member

You should PM the bloke on eBay and tell m just owl ya feel I would.:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

My energy is better spent on positive things.

Norlins weren't as good, it's true. The fact that they were buying scrap wood and building guitars didn't hurt the sound or playability. I love my 73 Deluxe. If you think they were as good as other era's, more power to you.

3 people like this.
  8. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

What source do you base this on?

2 people like this.
  9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Ya know, sometimes you post with insight and knowledge.

Other time, like here, you post such rubbish and ignorant crap you wonder if there isn't a multiple personality disorder going on.

10. MooCheng

MooCheng Senior Member

i doubt if you would ever get Gibson to admit they were using cheaper materials throughout the Norlin period but the conscensus of opinion from luthiers back in the day was Gibson was using stock furniture grade timber milled to predetermined dimensions, hence the need to laminate into pancake bodies. They knew it was hard to hide join so they included a thick maple veneer and marketed as a feature. The 3 piece necks, although theres nothing intrinsicaly wrong using 3 pieces was a way of being able to cut and prepare pieces free from defects from lower grade stock. Its acceptable to have a knot in a chair leg not so good in the neck of a guitar.

The argument is kind of void anyway, there are some fine Norlins around,great player, great sound, you just car'nt say they are the best Gibson has ever made

1 person likes this.
  11. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

once upon a time I went on a rant on this forum about norlin-era instruments....I complained about the ridiculously high prices they commanded...oh,and clownbursts,I b!tched about that too....:hmm:

...they haven't gotten any cheaper in the ensuing years :naughty: but I still hate me a clownburst :laugh2:

12. Breakrite

Breakrite Premium Member

Ok, so part of the eBay description says, "there's some minor buckle rash on the back"... :hmm:

Good thing this is a "modern guitar", because as every Norlin owner knows, with our inferior mahogany pancaked crappy wooded models, that belt would have gone clean through! :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  13. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Norlin certainly wanted to buy cheaper wood, no question about that. But to assume 'furniture grade' is inferior tonally is to admit straight away you know absolutely nothing about wood.......at all.
    Whether or not the management claim of using the pancake to counter cupping in 1 piece bodies (yes, it does happen especially with flatsawn) was the whole story is really academic. It was done, and resulted in some interesting guitars.

And Gibson's use of 3 piece was not without precendent. The prestige J200 I think had a 3 piece maple neck in the 50's already. So not really a low end feature at all. And whether or not it allowed for thinner bits of wood to be used which were cheaper on their own, the labour and extra time taken for the process of making a laminate vastly outweighs any saving from small raw material gains........so thats this particular argument utterly refuted.
    It also makes for a stronger neck - another aspect without any room for rebuttal.

I know a lot of Norlin sceptics love to play up the cheapened materials aspect, as if this aspect in itself totally removes all possibility of a good guitar as a result. But guitars have never ever been anything else but a unit-by-unit basis for quality. And 'tone' is so personal as to make anyone's individual opinion on the matter globally worthless.

15 people like this.
  14. Epi 57 classic

Epi 57 classic Senior Member

Wouw!!!!!:shock: That is a killer one :wow::wow:

15. FiftySevenPhil

FiftySevenPhil Senior Member

The ebony on my Norlin LPC is much nicer than what they use today. Oh wait, they don't use ebony now.

16 people like this.
  16. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

I have owned multiple Norlin era Gibsons, and they are wonky at best. Offset, multi-piece tops. Other bizarre wood combos. Deny it all you want, but it's true. Like I said, it didn't hurt the sound or playability. If that's rubbish to you, tough.

4 people like this.
  17. FiftySevenPhil

FiftySevenPhil Senior Member

"Offset, multi-piece tops."

That's true, and they like to split. But otherwise built like a brick outhouse where it counts. My 3 piece maple neck is super stable; the guitar stays in tune for hours of playing.

18. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^^ Once again, rubbish.

As if having a 3-piece top (or body for that matter) suddenly changes a guitar to being wonky or crap. Or somehow there is only 1 wood combination that is the be all and end all.
    Your tone and language is about 'othering'. A common technique used to belittle something in the absence of any real facts.

4 people like this.
  19. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

I'm sorry but this reeks of BS. Where do you get your info? From Luthiers who worked at Gibson? A what period during Norlin ownership? You knew them, worked with them, interviewd them?

Or luthiers who did not work at Gibson? If so how would they know about Gibsons wood selection practices? Did they buy and disassemble Gibson guitars?

And oh yeah:
    - vintage archtop guitars: three piece maple necks.
    - off-set tops: you'd never see that under a vintage Goldtop. Ever.

20. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

the gap between the pickup and neck is kind of f*cked up on the one in the o.p.
    [​IMG]

now that I look closer I think the pickup is just crooked or the pickup cavity was routed too big..

[​IMG]

3 people like this.